Not sure: PX100, PMX100, KCS75 ?
Apr 5, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

the ksc75 is a good set of phones considering the price...but if you got good ears you will hear flaws in the sound for exampe what bugs me the most is the cricket sound they give when deep bass comes out ...

That sounds like you should return them for a pair that's not defective, or perhaps your amp is clipping horribly. :wink:

On a different note -
I've come to the conclusion that descriptions like "true," "accurate," "neutral," "precise," etc., means: expensive phones, no bass.

I love Senn's, but am not impressed by the PX-100's. As robert1325 and blessingx state, neither of these are really suited for jogging. I would think the KSC75's have a better chance at succeeding, though. First, I'm not sure I would ever go running (do it a lot) with a pair of $50 phones. Second, anything without a headband has a problem staying put, or maintaining a good fit to the ear. Third, the PX-100 would have a real problem with that pleather junk on the headband. Under heat and sweat, that stuff will decompose quickly for a real mess.

If you more or less jog/walk, then the KSC75's would probably work. If you really run, I've found nothing suitable but the vertical, in-ear with a spring steel headband. I don't even like foam earpads under really vigorous exercise. Good ones (Sony) can accept a lot of mega-bass w/o distortion, so are reasonably acceptable. Canal plugs are actually ideal, but cost much more than any of these solutions.

Obviously, YMMV - literally. :wink:

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
On a different note -
I've come to the conclusion that descriptions like "true," "accurate," "neutral," "precise," etc., means: expensive phones, no bass.

Due to their tighter fit, PX100 has more bass than the KSC75. If we were discussing the Portapro, that would be a different matter....but the clip-on style Koss is really not all that bassy.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
I heard that PMX 100 had an awful fit.

I don't know about aweful. I'll admit that they are pretty tight even for me (relatively small head). I've gotten used to the fit and even appreciate the fact that the headphones don't move a lot while moving around. I don't own the px100's but between the pmx100's and ksc-75's I vote for the pmx100.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #20 of 35
OK, thanks for all the reply's, Maybe I should keep using my old Q33 clip-ons for jogging and get some more expensive/better one's for traveling and home listening,

I really like the sound of my sennheiser mx500's and if only I could get the same sound without the compromise of an earbud I would be pleased, That's the main reason I was thinking about the px100's but not all of you seem entirely convinced with the sound of the px100's so I'm not sure yet what to do...

PS.
This forum is really good, I nearly bought the mx550's , but I came across a post on this site , where the mx500's where recommended over the mx550's.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #22 of 35
I bought the PX 100 a couple of weeks ago. I've really enjoyed it thus far. You know, you don't have to fold up the PX 100s. Even though, I can't understand all the fuss about the "puzzle box." IMO they are easy to fold and place in the box. Geez, there are numbers and arrows on the headphones and step by step numbers on the back of the box with graphics showing how it should be folded
tongue.gif
. Once in the the case, they are very portable. To top it off, IMO, for the money, they sound great. BUT.....I'm still gonna get the KSC-75s b/c of all the good things I've been hearing. I want to hear what all the buzz is about. I'll probably do the headband mod. though. I prefer headbands to earclips.

Just get both of them.
icon10.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Due to their tighter fit, PX100 has more bass than the KSC75. If we were discussing the Portapro, that would be a different matter....but the clip-on style Koss is really not all that bassy.

You guys truly belive that the bass got so much to do with the fit huh?
rolleyes.gif

The headbend would have to literaly squize your ears to make such a difference.
Now, i can tell the difference between the PP's with and without the reversed 414 pads mod but when the drivers both on the ksc75 and the px100 just lay on your ears, the amount of bass got more to do with the driver and membrane design then with the fit.
IMHO ^^

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 35
Strange. I made many tests with my Portapros vs my KSC75s and got to the opposite conclusion:The KSC75s have the same nutty bass as the PP's if you equip them with the PP headband. Only difference between the both is the (slightly) better midrange of the KSCs and the (enormous) uglier look of the Portapros.

Edit: Forgot one difference: PPs sound boomy with certain amps (with my BTech or the Xcan for sure), whereas the KSC doesn't suffer from those disadvanteges.

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero
You guys truly belive that the bass got so much to do with the fit huh?
rolleyes.gif

The headbend would have to literaly squize your ears to make such a difference.
Now, i can tell the difference between the PP's with and without the reversed 414 pads mod but when the drivers both on the ksc75 and the px100 just lay on your ears, the amount of bass got more to do with the driver and membrane design then with the fit.
IMHO ^^

Very easy to test for yourself. Portapro has different fit settings, each of which changes the bass response. Or just try pressing the back of the clips so the KSC75 has a tighter fit on your ear, and watch the bass quantity go up. Make up your own mind.

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #26 of 35
The PX100 is hard to beat. It's a good value and over time you'll learn to appreciate its sound compared to other cans in the same price range.

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 35
ARRR!! should get meself the ksc75 and do meown tests
evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: one thing i can tell you for sure, having the PP's and not pairing them up with the 414 pads are blasphemy in my book.
you'll be like "WTH just happend here?? did someone switched my headphones?? OMGLOLBBQ"
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #28 of 35
What do the 414 pads do for the PPs?

I did the Kramer mod in order to give them some treble at least...

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #29 of 35
You talked about boominess? Bye bye boominess
tongue.gif

It's not just the pads. You need to cut a hole in them and put them reversed so that the thicker part of the pad is... err forget about it here's a pic http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=164454&page=2

Basically the mod pushes the driver farther from your ear + the hole in the middle helps with +ing the treble an -ing the bass...

EDIT: i think there are threads dedicated to the mod alone. do a search.

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #30 of 35
Thanx. Maybe I work myself into that, but not completely. Too many hairs in the driver already now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back