not sure if its fits here, but why are so many edm tracks 2:30?
Jul 21, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #91 of 117
Again, it didn't have premium pricing in multiplexes: the IMAX release was on previous IMAX screens. It took at least a couple years for IMAX to bring the IMAX Cinema brand to multiplexes (their screens being smaller than the original IMAX), and develop a digital up-res technology for converting theatrical movies to 70mm.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #92 of 117
YES. I was mentioning the FIRST premium screening of a major studio release.

Before that there were boutique theaters with more comfortable accommodations and food service, like the Beverly Cinema, but those weren't as common back then as they are now. Also those were revival houses, not first-run.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #94 of 117
I preferred watching Stalker and Solaris with subtitles to any blockbuster I watched when I had Netflix recently.
It's always interesting to see the original movie, and then the Hollywood remake. Like a recent Netflix movie with Tom Hanks: how the humor is different with A Man Called Otto vs the original Swedish A Man Called Ove. Sometimes the humor doesn't translate at all: Downhill was so lacking compared to Force Majeure. Criterion has released both Soviet movies on blu-ray: so you get more behind the scenes info if you enjoy that movie title.

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #95 of 117
It's always interesting to see the original movie, and then the Hollywood remake. Like a recent Netflix movie with Tom Hanks: how the humor is different with A Man Called Otto vs the original Swedish A Man Called Ove. Sometimes the humor doesn't translate at all: Downhill was so lacking compared to Force Majeure. Criterion has released both Soviet movies on blu-ray: so you get more behind the scenes info if you enjoy that movie title.

When I read The Magnificent Seven was a Japanese remake I had to watch it and that led to many others, Throne of Blood and Samurai Films which often show the brutality toward ordinary folk. Korea has also made some good films to like Old Boy. Seven Samurai is almost 3.5 hours long but the first time I watched it it felt much shorter.

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #96 of 117
YES. I was mentioning the FIRST premium screening of a major studio release.

Before that there were boutique theaters with more comfortable accommodations and food service, like the Beverly Cinema, but those weren't as common back then as they are now. Also those were revival houses, not first-run.
It still took more development for multiplexes to start installing and offering IMAX as one of their screens. Now that you have smaller sized digital cinema cameras (and higher resolution digital intermediates), production for large format screens is also easier (making it more ubiquitous that a local multiplex will have a premium large screen format). You did have some limited Hollywood movies in the 50s and 60s being made in ultra-widescreen (first using 3 camera setup Cinerama, then going to Ultra Panavision Technicolor 70mm film formats). 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty being one of the last 2.76:1 aspect (later 70mm films like 2001 2.20:1). I have the blu-ray of Mutiny, and there's still quite a bit of letterboxing on a 1.78:1 screen! It's also interesting that with the production they actually built a sailing ship (that would be used in future movies): it had to have a wider beam than the actual ship to be able to accommodate the large cameras. 2001 is on 4K now, that apart from correct aspect ratio, also has a noticeable improvement in quality with HDR grading. Another aspect that's nice about older movies on disc/streaming: they don't suffer any wear with repeat showings (and you no longer have a situation like when you were in the theater and the film strip broke).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #97 of 117
When I read The Magnificent Seven was a Japanese remake I had to watch it and that led to many others, Throne of Blood and Samurai Films which often show the brutality toward ordinary folk. Korea has also made some good films to like Old Boy. Seven Samurai is almost 3.5 hours long but the first time I watched it it felt much shorter.
Yeah, it's interesting how East and West influence each other. Kurosawa considered as one of the best. Interesting that his last epic movie (and most expensive movie for Japanese cinema at the time) was Ran: that has some elements of King Lear.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #98 of 117
It still took more development for multiplexes to start installing and offering IMAX as one of their screens.

Are you using AI? Because you seem to be having a conversation that doesn't involve my input at all.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #99 of 117
Are you using AI? Because you seem to be having a conversation that doesn't involve my input at all.
I can't help it if you always insist on having one sticking point and not engage in discussion.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #100 of 117
Most people in a discussion acknowledge someone else's point and then start the next sentence with "And" and add more information. Over and over you started with "But" as if your additional information negated what I said. That's why I stopped discussing. I was waiting for you to acknowledge before moving on, but over and over you wouldn't. Very argumentative and defensive. I don't see discussions as contests, and I don't enjoy discussions with people who do. You'll get further with me if you engage in conversation *with* me, not against me. I know you're not the only person here who does that, and you're certainly not the worst, but it isn't pleasant no matter who does it. It discourages me from chatting with you. I'm here to enjoy myself and share and be shared with, and I'm looking for other people with the same goals.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #101 of 117
I don't know newer EDM at all. I was strongly into electronic dance music from 1988 (Acid House got me into music) to the turn of century. Neurofunk is maybe the last subgenre that I found interesting. I was into Speed Garage of around 1997, but the 2-step it evolved into in a couple of years didn't resonate with me so much. Electronic dance music has become so popular in the 21st century and it has its effect on the music. Back in the day I was wondering why doesn't everyone like electronic dance music and listen to pop or rock instead, but it is just that these cultural changes take time. EDM is now what rock used to be decades ago. Perhaps in the future AI music (AIM?) will do to EDM what EDM did to rock?

During 1996 I started listening to classical music and it got me hooked so strongly that it certainly took steam out of my electronic music listening. Nowadays I listen to classical music much less while I enjoy returning to the electronic dance music of the past for nostalgic reasons.

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #102 of 117
If I look up my local cineplex, they are showing Oppenheimer on their Dolby Cinema screen. It is 180 mins long, with a 6:30 and 11:00 screening. More blockbusters that first get shown on their premium screen seem to be over 120mins. So instead of just having high turn over, movie companies are trying to sell premium prices for revenue.

Are you going to see it on Imax? I read Imax is like seeing 3D without needing the glasses. Some viewers felt sick watching the Hobbit shown at 48fps do Imax pictures create problems for viewers with too much to take in?

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #103 of 117
Disco will never die!

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #105 of 117

Users who are viewing this thread

Back