Not sure if I like Klipsch S4
Jul 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MrBassmicks

New Head-Fier
A couple days ago I decided to go ahead and upgrade my IEMs and decided to get the Klipsch Image S4s. 
I do like the clarity, the bass is pretty nice; although a little more bass would be perfect.
The only thing that I don't like is in the upper vocal range is a little too pronounced for me. Its almost like I can hear hissing during most vocals.

So my question is, is this normal for these? Ive read a few reviews on them and this was never mentioned. Will it soften/go away with time? 
If not what other headphones should I consider in the same price range?

Thanks in advance for any information.

EDIT: I just realized I've been a member here for a year already.   
gs1000.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 16
How long have you burned them in for?  I've heard the sibilance/harshness goes down with time...  Use them for a few weeks first, then see if you still like them. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 16
I can say for certain that sibilance is not really an issue on my end after an unknown amount of use, though if I had to estimate, I would say 50 hours at least.  The S4 has a really smooth sound and I know for certain it improves over time.  I may be biased though simply because from the time I ripped them out of the box, I never had any problems with sibilance, though all of my albums are ripped at no lower than 256kbps, and I know sibilance can be associated often with low bit-rate mp3s, which may or may not be an issue.  Sibilance has never been an issue with S4, rather I wish they had slightly less bass. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Sharpness is sibilance, basically. Whisssstling Sounds on sharp sounds. You are experiencing sibilance. For less bass, I know this option sounds ridiculous, turn your iPods' EQ's to Bass Reducer. I've kept my S4i's as my backup junk set for almost two years now. The sibilance will go away and the bass will tighten up. More time is needed.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 16
Well, I just checked the back of my receipt and it looks like IEMs are not returnable at Best Buy. 
Anyways, I'm happy to read that the sibilance should go down after more listening. So I'll listen for that to happen. 
I've only got about ten hours on them so far, maybe tomorrow I will try burning them in while I'm not listening.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Well, I just checked the back of my receipt and it looks like IEMs are not returnable at Best Buy. 
Anyways, I'm happy to read that the sibilance should go down after more listening. So I'll listen for that to happen. 
I've only got about ten hours on them so far, maybe tomorrow I will try burning them in while I'm not listening.

30 days return if they aren't up to the standards listed on the box (standard in the US)...  If something is sibilant/harsh, you aren't satisfied with the quality and Best Buy should take them back (or at least give you store credit). 

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 16
I haven't tried to take them back yet, but if I don't like the sound of them after a week or so I'll try to exchange them. Other than the sibilance they sound great to me, I really like everything else about them. So, if BB wont take them back Ill be okay with it.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 16
Yeah it should go away over time, at first my S4  had similar symptoms but overtime about 50hrs or so it will be gone and rarely noticeable anymore. My music format is 320 minimum no less.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
have you tried different tips? tri-flange, shures, and comply :D
also.. break in.. minimum of 70 hours 

the only tips I've tried are the stock ones, Which seal amazingly and are super comfortable. Maybe ill try different ones sometime, but for now I don't want to spend anymore money. These were emergency replacements for my old IEMs that are finally too worn out to use.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 16
Update: I've decided that I don't want to keep these, assuming BB will let me return them, what should I get in the same price range? These have a nice sound aside from the sibilance. After more listening I realized that the slightest movement changes their sound, so I find it hard to position them just right each time I wear them. One other weird thing is the left one keeps shocking my ear, lol.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Update: I've decided that I don't want to keep these, assuming BB will let me return them, what should I get in the same price range? These have a nice sound aside from the sibilance. After more listening I realized that the slightest movement changes their sound, so I find it hard to position them just right each time I wear them. One other weird thing is the left one keeps shocking my ear, lol.

The movement implies a bad fit...  Sometimes it can't be fixed, other times it can.  Go ahead and return them if you can't get a good fit after all this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back