Not sure for 100$
Jun 17, 2012 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
What would be the best turntable i could get for 100$. I will be using headphones.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm in the same boat as you. Looks like the Audio Technica LP60 is a popular choice on Amazon. Obviously not an 'audiophile level' piece of kit but it's appealing for someone like me who wants to get a taste for vinyl.

As I'm not terribly tech-savvy in the world of audio it's often difficult for me to decipher some of the lingo in product descriptions.  I'm interested to see what others have to say 
popcorn.gif

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 15
That looks good. I think that'll be the on I get. Thanks!

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
That looks good. I think that'll be the on I get. Thanks!

Please keep in mind you'll also need a vinyl cleaning kit, dust brush and a stylus force gauge to get 100% out of your vinyl enjoyment! Might sound funny, but double check you have a phono input on your source that matches the MM or MC of your turntable :) I've seen this happen lol.

Ebay and resale shops in nice neighborhoods can often have steals since many families chuck them out since they have no idea what to do with them, or simply dont want them... Several TTs I've found that people thought were bad just needed a new stylus or the tracking force was out of whack lol. I'm serious, people are clueless when it comes to these things. Nothing beats a turntable and $1-$10 records for a "starving student" audiophile fix :)

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Please keep in mind you'll also need a vinyl cleaning kit, dust brush and a stylus force gauge to get 100% out of your vinyl enjoyment! Might sound funny, but double check you have a phono input on your source that matches the MM or MC of your turntable :) I've seen this happen lol.

Ebay and resale shops in nice neighborhoods can often have steals since many families chuck them out since they have no idea what to do with them, or simply dont want them... Several TTs I've found that people thought were bad just needed a new stylus or the tracking force was out of whack lol. I'm serious, people are clueless when it comes to these things. Nothing beats a turntable and $1-$10 records for a "starving student" audiophile fix :)
I don't get what u said in the first paragraph. I'm getting the audio techinica LP60.. Could you link me to a vinyl cleaning kit dust brush and a stylus force gauge.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 15
I reckon you just type those exact words into eBay and you'll find what you're after. I found a few that ship from Australia for about $20 that seem to fit the bill. 

I'm going to have to look into a Stylus Force gauge - I have no idea what it is!

Let me know how you go with the LP60 because it's definitely up there on my shopping list. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
I don't get what u said in the first paragraph. I'm getting the audio techinica LP60.. Could you link me to a vinyl cleaning kit dust brush and a stylus force gauge.

Shure SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge

Audio Technica AT6012 Record Care Kit

AudioQuest LP record clean brush

~$75 for all three. Don't underestimate the importance of the tracking force gauge. Never trust the manufacturer and shipping handlers that it will be calibrated after delivery...

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 15
Jun 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 15
You probably should try the gauge to make sure you don't destroy your records and your turntable plays correctly. Or you can just take it into the shop for calibration. The other two are helpful if you live in a dust bin or buy used records.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 15
Surely there would be some household items that could be used for cleaning...?

At any rate, the LP60 comes with a "dust cover". So you mightn't have problems (unless you're living in a dust bin per reaqter's post) if you just make sure you always have your TT covered. 

Don't be an invalid, close that turntable lid.........
redface.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 15
So im about to buy the Audio Techinica LP70 but does it have an audio jack so I can listem to them with headphones? Does anyone know?

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 15
I don't think you can plug in your headphones directly into the turntable...it comes with L/R cables. So anything like speakers or a receiver that accept them should have a headphone plug that you can listen to there.

You could do better for the money, if you're willing to spend a little more time...I got a pretty nice entry-level '77 turntable for half the price of the LP60. It'll probably sound a lot nicer and last longer too...

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
I don't think you can plug in your headphones directly into the turntable...it comes with L/R cables. So anything like speakers or a receiver that accept them should have a headphone plug that you can listen to there.

You could do better for the money, if you're willing to spend a little more time...I got a pretty nice entry-level '77 turntable for half the price of the LP60. It'll probably sound a lot nicer and last longer too...

Hey, 

When you say '77 are you talking about a 1977 item? I.E; something 2nd hand? 
Do you think eBay would be the best place to look for older TTs?

I still like the LP60 :p Might save up a bit for a 120. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 15
Yep, 1977. From what I've read (and seen firsthand), that decade had really solid construction, so buying second-hand could get you something in great condition that will last a long time. I don't see any of the old turntables I bought dying or falling apart any time soon.
As for eBay...I haven't had good experiences with shipping turntables. Shipping delicate electronics is never really a good idea, and while mine did arrive functional, the dust covers were all cracked or broken in some way. I had better luck with Craigslist or eBay local pickup, where you can actually play around and test the item before you buy.

Well, whatever works for you is great! What do you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back