Not sure about the AudioQuest DragonFly Black...(overrated product aka the Apple or Beats of DACs?)
Feb 3, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #16 of 21
  I can assure you the difference between the Red and Black is basically power output. I own a Black and also heard a Red with the exact same headphones. If they do not sound similar it's probably because your headphones aren't being driven properly. There's also less hissing at higher gains on the Red.

Yeah, part of me doesn't see why I should drop an extra $100 for an identical item. I've read others saying that they sound the same, or that there's not big of a difference as well.

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 21
I think the DFB is absolutely kick ass for what it is. But it is what it is: a $100 DAC the size of a thumb drive. I think expecting it to perform like a high end audiophile dac/amp is unrealistic, although it is sometimes positioned this way in reviews. I think it sounds quite good in my car, and for casual listening from my iPad or phone really gets my foot tapping, but my other stationary systems are way better critically. Maybe shoot for something higher end and a bit more $ on the used market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back