Not sure about the AudioQuest DragonFly Black...(overrated product aka the Apple or Beats of DACs?)
Jan 25, 2017 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JayNetTech5

100+ Head-Fier
It has a very closed-in kind of soundstage and it's lacking significant detail/separation. The FiiO K1 has better separation and articulation, but has a grittier less refined sound in comparison. I would say, the DragonFly is sonically bland, and not that much better than my motherboard's audio, however, it pushes a lot more volume, so that's nice. I'm going to give this another few days before I decide what I'm going to do with it, and I'll post an update giving my last thoughts.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 21
So, I returned the DragonFly Black. Could not like the sound, it was very congested and bland, and I prefer a more spacious sound with sparkle in the treble, though, It had a damn good upper bass.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 21
Originally Posted by JayNetTech5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not sure about the AudioQuest DragonFly Black...(overrated product aka the Apple or Beats of DACs?)

So, I returned the DragonFly Black. Could not like the sound, it was very congested and bland, and I prefer a more spacious sound with sparkle in the treble, though, It had a damn good upper bass.

If what you mean by the highlighted part is that the percussion has a solid punch to it that grabs your attention (and otherwise not too bad in other areas apart from soundstage), then I'd say the AQ Dragonfly Black is the Grado of DACs, not Beats.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 21

If what you mean by the highlighted part is that the percussion has a solid punch to it that grabs your attention (and otherwise not too bad in other areas apart from soundstage), then I'd say the AQ Dragonfly Black is the Grado of DACs, not Beats.

Percussion was okay, I'm talking about more like a bass guitar, somewhere in those frequency regions.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 21
I have not compared the black to the red. I did compare it to the sound card out of the PC and that of the iPhone 7+ and to me the Red has a larger sound stage and clear. Keep in mind I'm 48 and work next to and around running trains all day.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 21
I have not compared the black to the red. I did compare it to the sound card out of the PC and that of the iPhone 7+ and to me the Red has a larger sound stage and clear. Keep in mind I'm 48 and work next to and around running trains all day.

I might buy the Red, since the Black sounded bland to me, however, I'm already satisfied with the FiiO K1. From what I've researched though, the Red is like the opposite of the Black in its sound signature.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 21
' I'm a man of very simple taste, I'm simply satisfied by the very best" -I usually do exhaustive research and buy the best I can afford.

I can afford it, but after that, I won't have much money for other things, so that's why It's hard to just drop $200 on something with a 50/50 chance of satisfying me. I'm an incredibly picky person, if you couldn't tell already by all my other threads lol.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 21
I'm kind of running into the same situation. I'm running a Dragonfly Black out of my phone and PC and I'm just not really drawn into the sound. There also sounds as if there's not a ton of power behind it - moreso than my phone by itself, but my Geek Out 2A is slaughtering the DFB in all areas. Bland is the best word I can use as well. When I first heard this on a friend's system, I was impressed by the detail and separation. Months down the road, and I hear it now on my system and it's just ehhhhh. I really only got this because the sound on my phone is so bad, so it's not all bad, but I was expecting much better quality. I haven't heard a Red version so I can't compare the two.

When I first tried the DFB on my system, the sound was thin, metallic and tinny. Now after 24 hours or so of burn in, it's no longer metallic or tinny but it's still very thin and weak sounding.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 21
  I'm kind of running into the same situation. I'm running a Dragonfly Black out of my phone and PC and I'm just not really drawn into the sound. There also sounds as if there's not a ton of power behind it - moreso than my phone by itself, but my Geek Out 2A is slaughtering the DFB in all areas. Bland is the best word I can use as well. When I first heard this on a friend's system, I was impressed by the detail and separation. Months down the road, and I hear it now on my system and it's just ehhhhh. I really only got this because the sound on my phone is so bad, so it's not all bad, but I was expecting much better quality. I haven't heard a Red version so I can't compare the two.

When I first tried the DFB on my system, the sound was thin, metallic and tinny. Now after 24 hours or so of burn in, it's no longer metallic or tinny but it's still very thin and weak sounding.

It sounds like there's a tiny bit too much harshness, and the sound is not very spread out.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #15 of 21
I can assure you the difference between the Red and Black is basically power output. I own a Black and also heard a Red with the exact same headphones. If they do not sound similar it's probably because your headphones aren't being driven properly. There's also less hissing at higher gains on the Red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back