Not sure about quality
Jun 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Alkoholik Ivan

New Head-Fier
Hi

Few of my Audio CDs, which I was certain were just mp3s ripped into the Audio CD format, appear to have bitrate above 1900 kbps (VLC says so in the file statistics). Is it possible these really are copied original CDs, or can those still be just "bloated" mp3s?
I hope you can understand my question :)

Thanks

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 14
Well, if you've used the option to create audio cd's then even mp3 will be converted into wav in order to work as audio cd.
My guess is its bloated mp3. But you can compare files with the original cd if you have one to ensure.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 14
I tried doing a FFT of my 320 kbps mp3 and the "unknown-original-format" Audio CD track. The time should be the same, even though it wasn't as easy, since the Audio CD tracks are few seconds longer than my mp3s.
Can something be decoded out of this? Is the audio CD track true high quality recording or is it just mp3 bloated into cda?
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ch3ora.png

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 14
If the signal was the same, both the mp3 and mp3 bloated into wav will be the same when you do the fourier analysis.
What you need is the original cd if you have one.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Another thing you can try is see low level noise in the frequency analysis. CDs will have a uniformly distributed noise, as displayed here (Fig 1): 
http://www.stereophile.com/features/308mp3cd

If you don't see this, chances are its compressed.

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Not at certain frequency, just do a fourier analysis of any part of the song, preferably the quiet parts. This underlying noise is present in most cds. MP3 will remove this noise.
Here's what I did, two sections of a song, flac vs mp3, first one is non-silent region:

On the right is MP3, see how it cuts at 20k Hz, while flac continues further.

Second, the silent section at the end:

The MP3 is left, the flac one is on right, you can see the differences for yourself. The MP3 produces spikes at certain frequencies and attenuates them, while the right side is the original.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 14
I thought you got your answer already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back