Not satisfied with sound, need more
Sep 25, 2008 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

driftingbunnies

1000+ Head-Fier
So recently i bought a surround sound system. I kinda skimped out on the speakers because i thought it would be ok for now and i can always upgrade later. not such a great idea. i have an onkyo 304 receiver so i'm able to get 5.1 surround sound and i've heard the sound quality is good.

The only thing that's missing is right speakers. my budget is kinda low like $200 or so. i don't mind downgrading to a 2.1 system but right now i use a harman kardon TS1 or something like that. it was pretty old but it was only like 75 bucks so i thought i'd give it a try. Is there anything out there that could beat the sound without breaking my bank? thanks for the input

Sep 25, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 4
With $200.00 I recommend going with a pair of bookshelf speakers and adding a sub once you have the funds. The speakers can always be moved to the rear when you upgrade further.

For $200.00 you can pick up a pair of Paradigm Atoms or Infinity Primus P162. I recommend the Infinities. If you can stretch your budget another $50.00 I definitely recommend trying out a pair of KEF iQ1's, especially if you plan on adding on later to complete a 5.1 setup. The iQ line from KEF is strong performer for the price.

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 4
I've listened to and enjoyed the Insignia NS-B2111 available at Best Buy. I know, I know, but these are $75 for the pair and have a cult following. Haven't bit on a pair yet, but I might. If you Google around, you can find a number of mods for it that reportedly take it to another level.

Also, have you considered DIY? You could pick up a nice pair of Fostex drivers and put them in a Voigt Pipe. If that interests you, look at the Cain & Cain Abbys for a commercial version. They're easy to build and sound excellent.

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the quick replies. I actually use the speakers for a small room so hopefully the bookshelves will fit well. Is klipsch good or is it overrated? i'm not very familiar with speakers, only with headphones. What other brands are pretty good? i usually like buying it from stores so i might go and check out the insignias.

i'm usually not into DIY because i'm afraid to mess things up so would the insignias be pretty good compared to the other two? I could probably get those now or should i wait and get the infinities later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back