Not one CD-Player for sale at my local Best Buy store.....
Dec 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

zeno

Head-Fier
Not that Best Buy is the best place for high end audio equipment, but I was recently at my local best Buy, and for fun I decided to look at what CD players they had.....there was not one to be found in the entire store! Some DVD and Blue -Ray players that can play CDs etc, but not one player dedicated only to playing CDs....I just found that "interesting".
Can I presume that most DVD and or Blue-ray players do not have the sound quality for CDs of a CD only player? Especially the type at your local best Buy store?

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Guess you need to visit REAL HIFI stores to get audiophile CD players these days. Most people seems to use their DVD/Blu-Ray players for CD playing.

If you want an audiophile quality Blu-Ray player look for something like Oppo BDP-95 or Electrocompaniet EMP 2 Universal player.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 5
You really won't find them in Best Buy; people who go there are the sort to raise their eyebrows when they find out that CD players are still being manufactured.

Try Magnolia, they might have some Onkyo and Denon, but of course any product line well below the flagship will tend to be seen as 'mainstream' still by some audiophiles' standards. Which means you really have to ditch chain stores, research the brands and units from reviews, then look up the dealers near your area, and chances are these aren't chain stores that you'd have noticed just driving through the streets they're in. The most obscure I've seen them in (to save on rent) in my city are in the basement of an old mall that's borderline dilapidated, right next to some gun stores with a similar operating strategy. To this day it still baffles me that audiophiles who can afford $2,000 cd players (so guess how much the whole system costs) would really put up with a mall whose toilets are a few steps removed from a typical, non-corporate-owned gasoline station in the middle of nowhere. Well, OK, I do, but I'm 27 and not rich; but every once in a while rich bankers walk into that place fresh out of work in their Italian office attire.

As for good DVD player SQ, you;d have to shell out more. Used to be there was the Pioneer DV-6xx series and that one time Philips widely distributed the slim-type that played SACDs, but I don't see these anymore. Also, the DV-6xx players cheat on the SACD playback - they downsample them to PCM first. The <$200 you spend on these would be better put towards more serious source units, like the Oppo universal disc players, or even dedicated, audio-only (if not redbook-only) players. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 5
The Best Buy I visited in Bloomington, MN had lots of CD/ SACD player to my surprise

Played with the Marantz SA 8004 ( got my eyes on it) in the set-up/ theater  rooms not on the regular floor. I can not wait to go back there.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 5
I would have assumed it was the case, you'll only find portable CD player walkmans, i just went to one looking for an Asus Xonar sound card and they only have - as usual- expensive Creative or some no name brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back