NOT IEM's for bedtime listening
Jul 10, 2008 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I ALWAYS drift off to sleep listening to podcasts or audiobooks, but I only have either full size headphones, wooden portables or IEM's or apple ibuds.

The ibuds are the easiest and quickest to pop in and out of my ear but obviously dont sound the best.

I am looking for a highly regarded, earphone/headphone which will allow me to lay on my side without fear of damaging the headphone or causing me pain. Iem's are super for this job, but it is a pain in the ass having to install them when I want a quick pop it on solution as im ready for bed.

Any suggestions>? I have thought about the cx300 or the px100 but would like to garner opinions for decent sound quality products which enavble you to lie on your side and dont cost the earth if you happen to trash them while sleeping?

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 25
cx300 would have a lot of bass but they certainly are good.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 25
I have fallen asleep multiples times with ep630 on. They didn't cause any discomfort nor get damaged from doing that. They are also very easy to pop in and out of your ears compared to the tri-flange based IEMs.

Edit: forgot to mention, they are same as cx300 physically except they have Y plugs instead of J plugs (I find Y plugs more comfortable if you intend to sleep with them since J requires the wire to go behind your neck which is against your bed).

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 25
how bout the pk series? pk1 is amped and pk2 not. used to fall asleep with them all the time, they fall out after awhile and are pretty sturdy so you don't have to worry about breaking them if you roll over or anything

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 25
i don't think you are going to find a full sized headphone that works for sleeping, even if it is durable, sleeping on the side of your head will probably be painful because of ear cups. I like the idea of Yuin earbuds

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 25
Yeah I think exactly the same as you regarding headphones it is a shame as I would much prefer that option, but realise it isn't really an option for lying on ones side.

hmmm yuins, now I did for a second consider them but thought they were too expensive for just a throw about sleep in pair of buds, ill go take a look at the prices of those as I don't actually know how much their low end models cost.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 25
Why not the iBuds for falling asleep to audiobooks and podcasts? They are pretty comfortable (at least the v2) and don't sound THAT bad. That's what I use my iBuds for.

What's your reason for determining they aren't good enough? I'm curious now. I would never use them listening to real music, though.

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 25
Ah thats the crux of my problem, well, to be precise there are two reasons, that one you mentioned is the first, that I thought I would like the option of listening to some music.

The second one, is that I was goofing around with my equipment and attached my pico to the ipod via line out, banged my se530's on and listened to a podcast, wow the voices, the whole sound, the background, just took on a more lush and silkier tonal quality and thus I find myself being disappointed with ibuds even for listening to podcasts.

I do accept ibuds do the job for spoken word, but the reason above combined with wanting the choice of listenign to music perhaps as I am nodding off has pushed me towards looking at other solutions.

I just ordered the cx300, lets see how they sound, although the ep630, cx500 ajnd perhaps the yuins may be getting a trial in the future (not the high end yuins though, I wont pay that much for buds)

p.s. the ibuds comfort isnt an issue, just the difference in sound between those and the other earphones I have.

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 25
i do this all the time with my pair of ex71s. they are cheap, short so less tangling, and have been working for me for nearly 1.5 years without any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back