Not happy with my K702's
Jan 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Semus

New Head-Fier
Before I begin I just wanted to say that, no, I have not burned them in for 100 hours or more.

However, I don't believe they are going to give me so much better sound after 100 hours that I'll change my mind.

I purchased the E7/E9 combo to power them, and to be honest they sounded better running out of my receiver. I have to say, though, that the E7/E9 combo is NOT the best amp to power these headphones. There are MUCH better amps that will no doubt give you a MUCH better sound. Again, this is after only a couple hours of use, so I cannot give you a true representation of what they might sound like after burn in. Some people believe in burn in and others do not, but just in case the burn in process does in fact give better results, I wanted to mention that I did not burn them in before listening to them.

Now, all that being said, I can see how some might love these headphones. I own a set of Bose OE headphones and when those are hooked up to my E7/E9 combo they sound simply amazing. So, I cannot justify spending the $260 that I spent on the AKG's. I am going to be returning the AKG's and getting some other product besides headphones.

I am not going to diss these headphones because I am sure they are fantastic for what they are, being more of an open headphone. I suppose I just prefer the way the Bose sounds, and isn't that all that matters? What I prefer? Yes, it is.

I'm sorry that I cannot give any positive feedback on these cans, but it is what it is. I want to thank everyone for their help that you gave me over the past week with certain questions and concerns that I had. It's just too bad that it has ended in disappointment. Oh well, live and learn.

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
Before I begin I just wanted to say that, no, I have not burned them in for 100 hours or more.

However, I don't believe they are going to give me so much better sound after 100 hours that I'll change my mind.

I purchased the E7/E9 combo to power them, and to be honest they sounded better running out of my receiver. I have to say, though, that the E7/E9 combo is NOT the best amp to power these headphones. There are MUCH better amps that will no doubt give you a MUCH better sound. Again, this is after only a couple hours of use, so I cannot give you a true representation of what they might sound like after burn in. Some people believe in burn in and others do not, but just in case the burn in process does in fact give better results, I wanted to mention that I did not burn them in before listening to them.

Now, all that being said, I can see how some might love these headphones. I own a set of Bose OE headphones and when those are hooked up to my E7/E9 combo they sound simply amazing. So, I cannot justify spending the $260 that I spent on the AKG's. I am going to be returning the AKG's and getting some other product besides headphones.

I am not going to diss these headphones because I am sure they are fantastic for what they are, being more of an open headphone. I suppose I just prefer the way the Bose sounds, and isn't that all that matters? What I prefer? Yes, it is.

I'm sorry that I cannot give any positive feedback on these cans, but it is what it is. I want to thank everyone for their help that you gave me over the past week with certain questions and concerns that I had. It's just too bad that it has ended in disappointment. Oh well, live and learn.

Cheers!

Yes, the E7/E9 is hardly the stuff of champions for the K702 ~ hope you find something better than the
  Bose that makes you happy.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 14
You really shouldn't have mentioned BOSE: half the forums will declare your ears defective, then the K70X are abominably horrible brigade will arrive and counterattack (Looking at you Uncle Erik
biggrin.gif
)
As you say, the headphones will not change hugely with burn-in (any possible difference is going to be pretty subtle) so find some others you like I suppose?

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 14
I know that some people here do not like Bose headphones, mainly because they are overpriced.

However, I just have to say that it ultimately comes down to what I prefer, doesn't it?

I have no doubt that with proper amplification the K702's will sound as they are intended. However, my budget just doesn't allow for that at the moment. I figured I would at least give them a chance. I don't think my ears are defective at all. I can definitely tell the difference between the Bose and the AKG's. The AKG's just sound much more clear and precise than the Bose. However, the AKG's sound a bit tinny to me and just lack the amount of Bass I was hoping for. Again, this could be due to the lack of good amplification.

I suppose I'll have to wait until I can afford a decent amp to perhaps try them again in the future. The good news is that with the E7/E9 combo, the Bose OE headphones have never sounded so good. I couldn't believe the difference that the amp made.

I am no pro when it comes to headphone sound, so what I feel is good, others might dismiss as terrible. Again, it comes down to what I feel sounds good and not others in the end. Doesn't it?

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

precise than the Bose. However, the AKG's sound a bit tinny to me and just lack the amount of Bass I was hoping for. Again, this could be due to the lack of good amplification.

The K70x are designed for studio monitoring, and have a neutral/slightly bright and detailed sound that is quite different from what is typical for Bose. If you want an upgrade from Bose, without bright sound, you may want to consider the Sennheiser HD650 instead.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 14

Denon D2000.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 14
In my opinion, burn-in with AKG K70x and Q701 series is an Urban Legend.
I tried burning mine in for 100 hours, I'm not sure if I could hear a real difference.
Try listening to different kinds of music with your AKGs, different albums, different recordings, eventually you might find something that has great synergy with the AKGs.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 14
As I said in my original post, I could definitely tell the difference between the Bose and the 702's.

The 702's were far more clear and precise. The bass was probably spot on and where it's actually supposed to be. However, I found it just lacking in that department. I have been listening to my Bose for so long that I probably just got used to the way they sounded and how the bass was more than likely upped on purpose. Then when switching to the 702's I found that it didn't have the amount of bass I wanted. Which sounds obvious.

I would definitely like to hear the 702's properly amplified. It might make a world of difference. I can tell you, though, that the 702's can produce bass. When I set my receiver to bass boost, the 702's really kicked. But that's not how I want to have to listen to these all the time. I don't want to have to turn the bass up to tremendous amounts just to be able to enjoy them.

I may eventually find a pair of cans that I really enjoy and have the clarity that I want. If there's a pair that anyone could recommend in the same price range that would give me the clarity and bass I prefer that'd be great. I'll consider them.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 14
Just my $0.02. 

If you like the Bose, use them.  Love them.  Enjoy your music.  Who cares what others say.

But, know that hi-fi = true to the source.  Hi-fi reproduces the sound as close to what the artist intended during recording.  It's that simple.  It's not how the tools are made, it's how the tools do it.

In headphones, everyone one of them changes the sound in some regard.  But, there are some noticeable ones that color the sound the least.  Some examples include the 701/702, the HD600, the HD800, DT880, and T1.  These are known for being fairly neutral.

If you apply the definition above to Bose, they are not hi-fi.  Bose is well known for coloring the sound to the "Bose signature."  This coloration is very pleasing to many people, which is why they sell so well. 

So, while Bose does sound pleasing, they are not hi-fi.  This is why many chat boards, like this one, trash Bose.  It has nothing to do with the fact they sound pleasing, it's because they are not true to the source.  It's hatred based on technicalities.

Bottom line, if you like the coloration Bose gives you, use them.  If you want sound as close to the artist's vision, look elsewhere.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 14
Very good explanation. Appreciate the info. Yes, I do enjoy my Bose and will continue to do so. If I happen to come across another set of cans that I really enjoy much better, I will purchase them without a hiccup no matter what brand they might be.

I do enjoy clarity. The K702's were VERY clear. They just lacked a certain amount of bass that I look for in cans. But again, my amps really isn't giving them what they probably need to enjoy them to the fullest. After hearing them, though, I just cannot justify spending all that money to see if they sound much better. For now, I'll stick with what I have and then perhaps I'll go to a store that sells to Denon D2000 and try those out. I'd just like a set of cans that has a very decent amount of punch to them.

I'm one of those guys that really wants to feel the bass in his ears. However, clarity is also a priority. Ah, the decisions...

Quote:
Just my $0.02. 

If you like the Bose, use them.  Love them.  Enjoy your music.  Who cares what others say.

But, know that hi-fi = true to the source.  Hi-fi reproduces the sound as close to what the artist intended during recording.  It's that simple.  It's not how the tools are made, it's how the tools do it.

In headphones, everyone one of them changes the sound in some regard.  But, there are some noticeable ones that color the sound the least.  Some examples include the 701/702, the HD600, the HD800, DT880, and T1.  These are known for being fairly neutral.

If you apply the definition above to Bose, they are not hi-fi.  Bose is well known for coloring the sound to the "Bose signature."  This coloration is very pleasing to many people, which is why they sell so well. 

So, while Bose does sound pleasing, they are not hi-fi.  This is why many chat boards, like this one, trash Bose.  It has nothing to do with the fact they sound pleasing, it's because they are not true to the source.  It's hatred based on technicalities.

Bottom line, if you like the coloration Bose gives you, use them.  If you want sound as close to the artist's vision, look elsewhere.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I would definitely like to hear the 702's properly amplified. It might make a world of difference. I can tell you, though, that the 702's can produce bass. When I set my receiver to bass boost, the 702's really kicked. But that's not how I want to have to listen to these all the time. I don't want to have to turn the bass up to tremendous amounts just to be able to enjoy them.

I think you will be very surprised at how much a good amp can transform a pair of K702s.
Another way to look at it, the K702s let you hear how good or bad your source and amp are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back