Not happy with my current phones.........what next?
Feb 4, 2011 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pioneer31

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I've tried...

Sennheiser HD595 - too woolly and a bit boring sounding but a reasonable allrounder
Ultrasone 780 - VERY recessed mids. Good bass though.
AKG 601 - plastic and lightweight sounding.
Grado SR80- 'fun' but not refined and awful comfort

I am wondering where to go next, I like the Grado sound overall so should I upgrade to a 225 or 325? I've heard people saying that the SR80 is 90% of what the higher, more expensive models will sound like.

How about a Beyer DT880? I've heard good reports.

In a nutshell, I don't like:

Recessed mids and bloaty bass. The AKG should have fitted the bill but they are just too delicate and lightweight. You are listening to sound rather grooving with the MUSIC, if you know what I mean

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 8
sr125i has the same driver as 225i and is 50 bux cheaper. Have you tried senn. 600? What's your source? DAC/amp?

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 8
Just wondering, did you long-term loan any of these headphones, or are these just initial reactions from shopping trips? 

Senn make headphones that are usually hard to love on initial tries. It will love you back only when you show it some love. The HD595 is definitely not boring.

DT880 on the other hand give nice bright tones that are easy to the ear and have clarity in bass, However, loving it is kinda hard, since it is always analysing and some may even say that it is passionless and boring at times. 

Both HD595 and DT880 ain't bad headphones. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 8
Perhaps you can try the Sennheiser HD 600/650. They do sound significantly different from the 595, and have long been regarded as a very musical headphone.

How high is your budget? The Audeze LCD-2 is said to be very natural sounding.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 8
I've owned the HD595's for more than 5 yrs and AKG 601s for 2yrs.

I had the Ultrasones for a week or so, the Grado SR80's for about 2 mths.

Sorry but I forgot to add that I also owned the HD600's for a few days before sending them back.

I can only say that I found them a 'weird' sounding headphone. High quality certianly and detailed but with a collection of attributes that I haven't heard before - thin treble, recessed mids and thick thumpy bass. The 595's sounded more 'normal' even if comparatively lacking in detail.

So it sounds like I may not like the DT880's then? I have only heard Beyer phones in a record store (and that was years ago). Can't tell you the model but I remember thinking that they sounded thin and reedy (is this the Beyer house sound?) next to my cheapo Sennheisers of the day. They were probably expensive ones though.

Each model has its own special quality but also something that really grates on me!

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 8
How about the Shure SRH 840? It rarely features in anyone's list of favourite headphones but they do have a good review.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of its sound signature?

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I've owned the HD595's for more than 5 yrs and AKG 601s for 2yrs.

I had the Ultrasones for a week or so, the Grado SR80's for about 2 mths.

Sorry but I forgot to add that I also owned the HD600's for a few days before sending them back.

I can only say that I found them a 'weird' sounding headphone. High quality certianly and detailed but with a collection of attributes that I haven't heard before - thin treble, recessed mids and thick thumpy bass. The 595's sounded more 'normal' even if comparatively lacking in detail.

So it sounds like I may not like the DT880's then? I have only heard Beyer phones in a record store (and that was years ago). Can't tell you the model but I remember thinking that they sounded thin and reedy (is this the Beyer house sound?) next to my cheapo Sennheisers of the day. They were probably expensive ones though.

Each model has its own special quality but also something that really grates on me!

What are you plugging these cans into?

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm plugging them into a Marantz CD600KI sig CD player headphone output. I also use the headphone out from a Rotel RA971 MkII integrated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back