Not Another Lost Thread! (spoiler alert)
Oct 26, 2006 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
Although I thought tonight's episode was kind of slow-moving, I think it was starting to set the scene for the next few episodes. Also, I appreciated the Sawyer back-story line.

I am bothered by the fact that the survivors have neve spotted the twin island -- I mean they have been walking all over the island for a while, and been at very high ground. Also, it seems like Desmond or the French lady would have at least known about it.

I do like the whole Desmond-as-clairvoyant subplot they are developing.

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
There better be a massive payoff for keeping up with this series or I'm gonna feel conned.

Consider yourself already conned
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 29
I thought it was a pretty solid episode. It showed a lot of change in the dynamics between the Others and the captured Losties. For instance, I think Jack is going to have a bigger role now that he's gotta operate that tumor. I was actually surprised when he went to help Colleen without questioning.

As for the second island, I don't know...I'm pretty wary about it, it doesn't make sense that they didn't see it, or that Desmond never saw it when on the boat, or even Michael or Sawyer or Jin at the end of Season 1. I think it's some sort of mind game. They seem to be trying to break Sawyer's spirit for some reason: first, taunting him with the fact that the bears figuered out the food quicker, then making him do manual labour while watching Kate in a dress, then gratituously beating him up when they had him tricked about his pacemaker, and lastly, the pacemaker itself. Why they're doing this, I have no idea yet. I can't really see a use for Kate or Sawyer, unlike Jack, who seems like he's going to have to save someone's life.

The whole Desmond thing is cool. What do you think they're going to do with this newfound knowledge? And how long until the Others find out about it and try to do something about it? Because it is obvious that this can't go on for too long without them having to put a stop to it. I mean, he could see where they are, what they're doing, and how to rescue Jack, Kate and Sawyer.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
gotta say that the show is really starting to annoy me. There better be a massive payoff for keeping up with this series or I'm gonna feel conned.

I felt conned after season 1 but yet i am still watching, however if it keep one throwing out questions instead of more answers i WILL stop watching it. A plot twist i can take but dangling a carrot without a bite is just cruel.

I look forward to Heroes every week a lot more than LOST, in fact i am not bothered if they don't show it at all. There are plenty of shows this year that got my attention.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub
I thought it was a pretty solid episode. It showed a lot of change in the dynamics between the Others and the captured Losties. For instance, I think Jack is going to have a bigger role now that he's gotta operate that tumor. I was actually surprised when he went to help Colleen without questioning.

As for the second island, I don't know...I'm pretty wary about it, it doesn't make sense that they didn't see it, or that Desmond never saw it when on the boat, or even Michael or Sawyer or Jin at the end of Season 1. I think it's some sort of mind game. They seem to be trying to break Sawyer's spirit for some reason: first, taunting him with the fact that the bears figuered out the food quicker, then making him do manual labour while watching Kate in a dress, then gratituously beating him up when they had him tricked about his pacemaker, and lastly, the pacemaker itself. Why they're doing this, I have no idea yet. I can't really see a use for Kate or Sawyer, unlike Jack, who seems like he's going to have to save someone's life.

The whole Desmond thing is cool. What do you think they're going to do with this newfound knowledge? And how long until the Others find out about it and try to do something about it? Because it is obvious that this can't go on for too long without them having to put a stop to it. I mean, he could see where they are, what they're doing, and how to rescue Jack, Kate and Sawyer.

I think the Others have done a ton of homework on Jack, Kate and Sawyer, and are really trying to somehow break them down and win their confidence (and maybe con them
tongue.gif
). I guess it's possible the second island could be a trick -- at least as far as Sawyer is concerned.

I've always thought Desmond had the potential of being a key character -- don't forget how Season 2 ended.

They are now running at least three story lines -- Jack and Ben, Desmond and the Survivors, and Sayeed and Jin. Are they starting to spread it too thin???

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Are they starting to spread it too thin???

Ya think?

jpelg: Yeah I was telling my wife that I just might have to wait the season out and rent it on DVD...at least then I can dole out the punishment on my time instead of on a weekly basis...it's getting to be a bit much.

I haven't seen "The Nine" but it looks like the same formula. Something happens to a bunch of people and the plot is discovering what it was that happened...seems like ABC is milking the story concept...tha'ts what got me thinking that they're going to just string us along with this show for as long as they can.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 29
I always get uber P/O'ed when the others are so mean to the o.g.'s and I actually cheered last time when Sun shot that b**ch in the gut. And when that dude was beating on sawyer, I kept thinking, "I hope you get shot too, mofo!"

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19
I always get uber P/O'ed when the others are so mean to the o.g.'s and I actually cheered last time when Sun shot that b**ch in the gut. And when that dude was beating on sawyer, I kept thinking, "I hope you get shot too, mofo!"

Hahaha.

WORD!
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 29
I think general audiences have too limited an attention span for this kind of show. Most TV shows are instant payoff (and movies also). The show is called "Lost", and they do a good job of keeping the audience just as lost as the characters. To me, that is the appeal of the show. I don't want to know the answers, the speculation is part of the fun. The character development is excellent and multi-layered.

I tend to agree that the ultimate payoff, should the show get that far, is probably going to be disappointing, but the ride up to now has been intriguing. I'd take this over the overly dramatic and unrealistic cop and lawyer crapola, the pitiful glorification of the mafia, and the unnecessarily vulgar cable shows that everyone thinks are so "cool". If they speed the show up, they ruin it, and watch all the whiners who complain about the show being too slow turn the tides and complain about it being too fast.

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
I think general audiences have too limited an attention span for this kind of show. Most TV shows are instant payoff (and movies also). The show is called "Lost", and they do a good job of keeping the audience just as lost as the characters. To me, that is the appeal of the show. I don't want to know the answers, the speculation is part of the fun. The character development is excellent and multi-layered.

I tend to agree that the ultimate payoff, should the show get that far, is probably going to be disappointing, but the ride up to now has been intriguing. I'd take this over the overly dramatic and unrealistic cop and lawyer crapola, the pitiful glorification of the mafia, and the unnecessarily vulgar cable shows that everyone thinks are so "cool". If they speed the show up, they ruin it, and watch all the whiners who complain about the show being too slow turn the tides and complain about it being too fast.

Interesting post.

It seems like you are saying that the process of the show itself (mystery, intrigue, more questions than answers) is more important than giving the audience the "resolution" of all the plot lines that it is craving. I suppose other shows have done that successfully -- X files comes to mind. Lost also reminds me of the BBC classic "The Prisoner" in that the suspense and paranoia keep the show moving so well, that you almost didn't need to find out the true "facts" about that particular island. But then again, so did Gilligan's Island.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

I agree, it's the journey, not the destination...

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 29
the second island is invisible
wink.gif

did anyone notice that they're also spotlighting other survivors as well? kiele sanchez, who was on a few now-terminated shows from last season, is one of the characters that is assuming a larger role on lost this season...supposedly there will be more romance in this season as well. i guess they know what ultimately sells - sex and violence
rolleyes.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

I'm with you...I like re watching episodes on my computer to find things I may have missed, as well as trying to unearth foreshadowing to guess what's coming up. The last episode ever may be a let down, but no other show keeps me thinking after the show as much as Lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back