NOS DAC - Marketing BS?
Aug 28, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #76 of 345
english to metric conversion tables Metric Conversion Table sae to metric conversion table <a href="http://www.threadless.com/profile/1049878/Metric_Conversion_Table">Metric Conversion Table</a> metric conversion tables for kitcen Profile for Metric Conversion Table metric conversion tables for kitchen
live satellite images of houses Live Satellite Images live satellite images of earth <a href="http://www.threadless.com/profile/1049876/Live_Satellite_Images">Live Satellite Images</a> view live satellite images Profile for Live Satellite Images by address live satellite images
new york state unemployment department New York State Unemployment new york state unemployment benifits <a href="http://www.threadless.com/profile/1049877/New_York_State_Unemployment">New York State Unemployment</a> new york state unemployment labor Profile for New York State Unemployment new york state unemployment filing

***** Archive
<a href="http://durhamtownship.com/Florida/images/event/a/">***** Archive</a>
Category: a ***** Archive

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #78 of 345
A fact that is overlooked, is everybody has different taste. Does it really matter what is supposedly superior? We all hear different frequencies and have different sensitivities. We all have trained our ears and minds to percieve the same song differently through the same equipment. There is no perfect system out there for a reference point to look to and say if it doesnt sound like that than its not good. There is no truer statement in audio as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Regardless of scientific fact, untill a dac is able to be adjusted to fit everybody taste there will be no perfect implementation of a dac. I once owned a antique square grand piano. No modern piano tuner with there digital tuners could get the piano tuned correctly. I finally found a old man that was blind but has tuned these rare pianos. He did it not with scientific formulas or fancy electronics, but by carefully listening to every string one at a time over many hours adjusting and readjusting each string by ear. Science is good and provides us with a great starting point, but we cant discount what God has given us either.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #81 of 345
Who are you supposed to be thisbenjamin, the referee of the thread? What have you contributed to this thread other than following Dan Lavry around like a duckling follows momma. The old addage "you know just enough to be dangerous" surely applies here.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #83 of 345
Your conduct on this thread is pathetic, you you talk about pianos and how "enthralled" you were by the sound, what the heck does that have to do with the original topic? As soon as someone posts about their experience with different dacs especially when NOS dacs are mentioned the Sherrif in you comes out and you want to control the discussion. Frankly, I could care less what equipment you have!

Insults, what do you think you are doing every time you tell someone they are off topic, nothing like the pot calling the kettle black!

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #85 of 345
popcorn.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #86 of 345
I'm the OP of this thread, I started this thread so everyone can discuss and speak their mind. There is no restriction as to whether one has to have facts backed up when they speak their mind here especially when since this isn't the sound science forum.

Dan made it clear that he is speaking from a technical point of view and his interest only lies there and there is nothing wrong with that. However, others do NOT have to follow as such.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #87 of 345
You need to go back and read the original post. He asks if anyone has any input on the topic of NOS. Some of the posters have done just that, talking about their experience with different pieces of equipment but according to you they have not satisfied your requirement for staying on topic. Why don't you try listening to some equipment and then see what you think. I had a well regarded upsampling/oversampling CD player that was absolutely horrible, boring, completely synthetic and overly processed sounding. There are good and bad examples that represent both NOS and OS. Unless you don't quite get it, at the end of the day you have to listen, that is part of the equation unless you are perfectly happy purchasing equipment by specs. alone!

We do agree on one thing, I am done addressing you also.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #89 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A fact that is overlooked, is everybody has different taste. Does it really matter what is supposedly superior? We all hear different frequencies and have different sensitivities. We all have trained our ears and minds to percieve the same song differently through the same equipment. There is no perfect system out there for a reference point to look to and say if it doesnt sound like that than its not good. There is no truer statement in audio as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Regardless of scientific fact, untill a dac is able to be adjusted to fit everybody taste there will be no perfect implementation of a dac. I once owned a antique square grand piano. No modern piano tuner with there digital tuners could get the piano tuned correctly. I finally found a old man that was blind but has tuned these rare pianos. He did it not with scientific formulas or fancy electronics, but by carefully listening to every string one at a time over many hours adjusting and readjusting each string by ear. Science is good and provides us with a great starting point, but we cant discount what God has given us either.

Sorry, I have to respond to that post.

I never argue about tastes, likes and dislikes. That is SUBJECTIVE. I am very tired of and disinterested in the never ending use of phrases such as "full bass", "warm mids" and "crisp highs" that are in my view mostly marketing driven.

One can like or dislike anything, and that is NOT well defined. Such concepts have DIFFRENT MEANINGS to different people, because it is very difficult to express in words what one hears. So at the end of the day, people put too much weight on other’s personal opinions that may not apply to their own tastes.

But my statements are about the OBJECTIVE, and the gear I design reflects it. How can it be? It is so, because my stated goal is TRANSPARENT SOUND. The idea is to have the music (in electronics it is "waveform") altered by the least amount possible! One can HEAR the differences between a source and the processed outcome. That is how we test the gear in a quality studio. It is a "before" and "after" type of a test. Transparency is not about liking the sound or disliking the sound. It is about RETAING the sound. And while listening in some top notch studios is a must, and having well trained ears do the listening is also a must, the listening is one of 2 types of tests.

The other set of testing IS about engineering. You should not put down an elaborate and costly audio test gear. If you have real good testing equipment, and it tells you that you have some serious noise in the audible range, or say a significant 3rd harmonics at 3KHz and so on, then you have no chance to have transparent sound. The ear will hear it, and you should not bother to set up "studio listening time".

The folks that put down science do not have a clue. One can not design by ear alone. Designing gear is a complicated matter, It calls for a lot of conceptual knowledge (yes, math and theory), understanding of components, circuits, layout, materials…. and the specific application (such as audio, video or what not). The number of variables and compromises is huge. One can not do it by ear. If you play chess, you have 64 squares and only a few pieces (pawn, bishop, king...). One can not play chess by ear. You need to know what you are doing. I can give you 10 digits (0,1,2...9), and what chances do you have put them together and win the lottery? Don’t dismiss my examples. When you design gear, changing the value of a single part may have an impact on very large number of issues. One just does not get to design by trail and error! Do you want your doctor to try all sorts of pills until something works?

Much of the anti science in audio is driven by those that can not achieve transparency. What else can they say? Sorry about the poor specifications? They will not say that! Instead, some do not bother to even publish their specifications. Others say over and over - specifications do not count, or sell you the old "full bass", "warm mids" and "crisp highs"...

I agree that a few specification numbers are FAR from telling the story, and an in depth measurements require pages upon pages of data, to be examined by an experienced professional design engineer in audio. (for example, I would prefer take a 1% distortion at 20KHz over .01% at 3KHz, and so on...)

It would be fine if one stated that understanding measurements is not for a novice, or that most product specifications lack much detail. But instead, I see a lot of people attacking specs as a bunch of nonsense. This is true ignorance at it's worse.

I understand and appreciate that some folks want to alter the original sound. I understand in great detail the specific alterations due to a tube, a transformer... That is ok with me if folks like it. Other then tubes and transformers, there is a lot of gear that is designed specifically for sonic alterations (such as EQ, reverb, compressors, expenders...). I am not against any of it. But my question is: Do you want the AD to do some EQ? Do you want the speaker cable transfer energy to the speaker, or do you also wish for it to impact the stereo image?

In my book, an AD should convert an analog wave to digital numbers. A DA should convert digital numbers back to analog. A "back to back AD and DA" should ideally do nothing (like a 1 inch piece of wire). I do not want any un intended consequences, such as additional noise, a less then flat response, phase alterations, more bass, less bas… and of course much unintended distortions. I do not want my AD to sound like a tube, and my DA to sound like a tube, because when one hooks it to a tube amp, you do not hear your tube amp, you hear 3 tubes in series. That is a total loss of control, often followed by much fast talk and self convincing about what one like or does not like.

While some of the gear is design specifically or chosen for coloration, it is best to realize that much of the gear should not alter the sound. Take for example good speaker wire. It is good when it DOES NOT alter the sound. Same with converters and so on.

Do you want to have a camera that always adds some orange tint on everything? You can not remove the orange. If you like some orange tint on some SPECIFIC photos, you can get a “tool” to do so. But a correct photo, a clear representation, IS the best starting point. Someone else may prefer green tint, or no coloration. You can add art to the photo, but if it you start with already altered colors and warped proportions, you can not bring it back to the original. In fact, people that were not presence at the original scene (or musical performance) do not even know how the original looked or sounded. I do mind if one likes to live in “orange tint world”, or “missing high frequency world”. The sad part is that quite often they do not realize that if the get “out of the house”, the world has “less orange tint” and real acoustic instruments sound different…

Putting down science and engineering is really out of place. It is ignorance based pass time on many hi fi forums. I have been making audio gear for a long time, and the list of my gear users includes many of the greatest audio professionals world wide. I do pay much attention to how it sounds (I am a musician). But I get to achieve my results to a large degree because I also do respect and practice engineering and science. I can not select the printed circuit material by ear! One can not design for low noise by ear, and you do not get lucky. Design is a deliberate process that calls for knowhow and experience. Less knowhow and experience end up with a lesser product. That should not be a surprised.

Regards
Dan Lavry
Lavry Engineering

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #90 of 345
Dan, I think sometimes you forget you are a designer with a wealth of knowledge in electronics, this is not meant as a negative comment, let me explain. The example you used about the matching of components when building a system where one piece may have too much bass then another piece is introduced with just the right amount of bass and a third piece may be misjudged because of the existing inbalance. The third piece gets blamed for the bass inbalance and out it goes with the end user spreading negative comments about it's performance. This is why I no longer subscribe to any publications.

In your case you can design your own equipment from scratch and build it to match other components. The typical end user does not have this luxury when assembling a system unless he works with someone that has already done the groundwork for them. The typical end user does not rely so much on specifications as he does on how the assembled system sounds. Because of the lack of electronics knowledge the typical end user is now on the hampster wheel, buying and selling equipment until they get lucky or just plain throw in the towel. Yes you can educate yourself to acquire a working knowledge but many don't have the time or inclanation to do so. In the end they have to trust their ears, this is why many in this thread have responded about their listening experiences instead of supporting their findings with science.

As a designer the science and testing are absolutely important to the final outcome, the typical end user is counting on you to put your knowhow into every piece you make, then we listen to it and hopefully our system is balanced enough to hear what it can do. The point I'm trying to make is that you live specs., it's your living, typical Joe just wants it sound like a million bucks, the most dangerous trait is to have limited knowledge and blindly cling to a belief or technology because of specs alone, it has to sound good even if it is being thrown into an unbalanced system. I'm sure this reality has driven many a designer absolutely nuts. This is why I say I think you sometimes forget your a designer, you have an advantage most of us don't have, you get to look at things from a different angle. Hope this makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back