Northwest headroom meet - there just wasn't enough time to hear 'em all
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #31 of 113
Quote:

.....the CD3000s are top notch. I think some people dismiss Sony before they've even heard them. Those phones get better the more you hear them.

I agree completely, markl........these are indeed some excellent 'phones. Unfortunately, there's been a real heatwave here on Long Island the past week, so I haven't been willing to put on those giant pleather sweatpads. But last night and today, they've been my main listen. To my ears, they're on a par with current top Grados, with just slightly less realistic vocals, although they are smoother. And even though they're closed, I also like their soundstaging better than the Grados.....the image is more unified with less of the three blobs-in-the-head effect. I'd have to say that their overall sonic signature is much closer to Grados than it is to Sennheisers. Anyway, that's what I'm hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2001 at 5:28 PM Post #32 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
man, that would be one hell of a drive...

Try Swimming Here
tongue.gif

Now you know why some people store their headphones/amps etc in those waterproof/crushproof cases lol
cool.gif

Aug 12, 2001 at 7:32 PM Post #33 of 113
Great review of the get together, Neruda!! I , sadly, didn't spend enough time listening, because the company was so enjoyable. I did spend some time on the k1000's and really did enjoy the sound. They fit my head perfectly too. I found them to be very comfortable. I think I liked the cd 3000's sound slightly more but give the k 1000 the win in the image and comfort (on my head). Glad to hear you got the AKG's. They are great sounding phones and deserve a serious listen from people looking for phones in that price range.
I also enjoyed seeing the Krell transport and DAC. Sweet stuff!
Tyll was a lot of fun to spend some time with. Great singing voice too! (heehee!) The view from deeprivers place was very nice, with Mt Ranier showing itself in the distance. (Thats one big mountain.) The food was wonderfull and filling, and deepriver and his wife were very kind and considerate hosts. (And the baked beans were excellent.) I was glad Eric and his father made it down.
All in all- an excellent way to spend an afternoon!

Aug 12, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #35 of 113
Mark, I agree that most of the reviews of the CD3000 are very positive, however there are a few people that don't like them very much. I suppose you're right though, the CD3000 has gotten good press here at head-fi.

budgie, that krell was awesome huh? That thing wasn't a CD player! It was a turntable that played CD's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2001 at 9:28 PM Post #36 of 113
I'm very interested in the 501s or 401s, because of their comfort level and single sided cord. My only problem is that they've been known to be very bland sounding with more pop kinds of music, like electronic or hip hop, which is about all I listen to.

The ONLY good headphone I have right now is the grado sr-60s with the comfies with holes cut out in the center (and the holes are big, accidently cut too much out). If I hold the housings further away from my ear, they sound better and I can imagine thats what they sound like with the bowl pads.

If I get the k501s with a portable amp, like the corda (but lets say the TA since the cordas not even out yet), how much of a difference would I be getting, especcially in the bass region, and would the sound seem any less lively?

Aug 12, 2001 at 10:00 PM Post #37 of 113
Neruda,

Listening to almost all heavy-weight contenders in one place - and even to the elusive Orpheus. Can you spell envy?

Neruda, now don't you think that you can get away with a measly two hour write-up. You owe us. Did you have the chance to listen to the Beyer 990 Pro as well? They have a little more of this bright Senn/AKG/electrostatic hi-fi sound than the 770 Pros, and a little less impressive bass. I think you would have liked them better. Did you listen to them?

And what about the tube amps. I mean there is a Wheatfield HA-2 and a Holmes Powell DCT-2 and you seem to think of frivolous diversions as food?
wink.gif

eric343,

What about you and your tribe? Any experiences with the Holmes Powell DCT-2? Did anyone listen to it??? There you are, in one room with what might be the greatest headphone amp ever, and no one tries it? Please say it isn't so. Please?

markl,

so far, I am one of those people who are not really enthusiastic about the Sony CD-3000. I think they are overly bright, somewhat cold and their bass is rather flabby. I have listened to them once, for about twenty minutes, and that isn't exactly enough time for a solid review, I admit. But they were a far cry from the inviting sound of my Beyers 770/990, that I perceive as very pleasing, warm and musical.

But as Neruda has emphasized: The only way to be sure whether one will be able to enjoy a component is to listen for oneself. There just is no alternative. None. Now, where is this darn Holmes Powell DCT-2 review?
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2001 at 10:10 PM Post #38 of 113
massappeal85, the 401 sounds just fine with pop, rock and electronic to me.I tested out both the 401 and the 501 with pink floyd at the meet and was pleased that they could keep up. However, the 401 does seem to be better for harder music than the 501 (maybe I need to listen to them more though). I would definitely try them. They're certainly very comfortable!

Tomcat, as I said, there wasn't enough time to listen to everything. because of that, I never got to the HA-2. I tried to listen to the holmes powell for a while but for some reason only one channel was working (might have been the cables, although I checked for problems). I did listen to the 990 but wasn't too impressed; they sounded very good but the mids weren't there the way I like them to be.

Aug 12, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #39 of 113
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat

eric343,

What about you and your tribe? Any experiences with the Holmes Powell DCT-2? Did anyone listen to it??? There you are, in one room with what might be the greatest headphone amp ever, and no one tries it? Please say it isn't so. Please?

<snip>

But as Neruda has emphasized: The only way to be sure whether one will be able to enjoy a component is to listen for oneself. There just is no alternative. None. Now, where is this darn Holmes Powell DCT-2 review?
biggrin.gif

As you said, there is no alternative to auditioning a component for yourself, and for that reason I barely even noticed an amp marked "DC-2"
redface.gif

Sorry man. I didn't know you so badly wanted to know what the amp was like. It was in the bottom-right corner and looked really unobtrusive, and I was busy ogling the other amps (and burning my fingers on the monster class-A K-1000 driving-amp)

Aug 12, 2001 at 10:48 PM Post #41 of 113
Hi,

Now that a bunch of you have heard the Corda HA-1, what do you guys think of it? Maybe I should just start a new thread about this.... anyway I've only heard 1 person comment on it, saying it was between the Headroom Supreme and Maxed-out Home in terms of quality, but was the king of crossfeed. Just wanted a few more opinions on it, especially how it sounds with HD580s or 600s if possible. Im planning on either buying the kit or more likely, building a modified version with a stepper-attenuator and better connectors, capacitors, etc. Again, sorry if this belongs in a new thread....

Thanks

Aug 12, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #42 of 113
Well, the only thing that stuck out in my mind was the incredibly horrible volume control. Also, only one channel of the setup was working when I tried it, so it was kinda hard to hear the quality...

Aug 12, 2001 at 11:33 PM Post #43 of 113
I agree with eric. I didn't want to say anything, but compared to the headroom amps the build of the corda isn't all that great, and the volume control was terrible. I was expecting it to be really smooth, but instead it felt really cheap and kept getting stuck. I didn't spend much time with it. maybe it was a bad one, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back