Northern NJ July 25th Meet Impressions and such
Jul 26, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #16 of 67
a few impressions.

* my B52 + Bal 800 (stock cable) was my favorite rig at the meet. i listened to an L3000 (single ended) and an HP2 (bal) on my rig and preferred the 800 to both. the L3000 was very smooth and enjoyable but the sound stage is limited and the detail was not as good. the bass quality (slam) was better on the L3000 but not by much. the two headphones have a pretty different flavor though. if you want a headphone with an ultra-smooth sound and great bass impact, then the L3000 is the one to get. the HP2 was more similar to the 800. both had great detail and tend toward a neutral/flat sound. the bass on the HP2 is decent and very focused but lacked the impact of the 800. the 800 had more depth but the HP2 does left to right so well that although you feel like first row, the various singers/instruments do not compress into one another. but the overall sense of space was noticeably smaller on the HP2. that said, i was still pretty impressed with it.

* the WES + O2mkII was also impressive, but i just preferred the 800 over the O2 (on that setup). the O2 had better imaging and that stat clarity/precision, but not more detail. on some tracks it was very engrossing. on others, not so much. in general, the 800 had more texture/nuance, impact and overall liveliness. the WES was very nice but it didn't wow me. although my expectations were very high.

* the WA22 + 800 sounded excellent, but it didn't make me want to switch it out for my B52. the biggest difference was sound stage and bass impact. the former was larger and the latter better on my B52.

* the Jade + maxxed GES was surprisingly good. at times i liked this setup more than the WES/O2. i think part of it is that i like the O2 but don't absolutely love it and definitely prefer the HE90 over it. so i am not firmly in the O2 camp.

* other thoughts. the 800 sounded okay from the balanced phoenix but not great. the D7000 is a decent headphone but not something i would look to acquire. the GS1000 (bal or single ended) continues to underwhelm me. ari's RS1 w/ SR60 drivers sounded very good. there was some grain to the sound, but overall i liked them. vinyl transferred to CD sounded as good as (or maybe better than) my best sounding CDs. i really need to look into this.

that's what comes to mind for now.

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #17 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...So what's next on the list for me? The D5000. I'm not sure who's they were, but they were sitting all the way in the back by a huge HP laptop...

Haha...that would be mine. I'm glad you liked it. I didn't have enough lossless audio in my tracklist but I did bring in a box full of CDs with me. Most of which were hard classic rock and alternative rock. You should have tried the D5000s with the WA5 LE that was set up on the middle of the room. They were amazing paired with it especially if you are into a warmer and boomier sound like I am.

I liked rjoseph's D7000s and I can't wait for them to be broken in. I think those have a lot of potential plus they look shiny! I need to recable my MS-1is and quarter mod those comfies as well. I've listened to the recabled SR-125's (with bowl pads) of pdupiano's and they sound so much cleaner without the bass being muffled. If that doesn't work, I just might sacrifice some comfort and put in the bowl's as well.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, man, we tested that tube. There's nothing wrong with it, in fact, it's the best tube I have besides my cleartop out of the 6 that I brought. The problem is that the pins were bent, which we now fixed in Neal's pin straightener. Lesson learned: bent pins can ruin a socket. The death toll is actually only three EF1's. Major, major props to Fang, who not only puts up with me but brought some really awesome prototypes for us to try out.

I wondered what the total death count ended up being. I guess it was a learning experience for both of you.

I have not had time to compile the results of the hearing tests, but I was able to get about 18 of them in so the results should be interesting. Thank you to everyone that participated especially to the three that I had take it twice because their first results were messed up (my fault)!

I had a lot of fun at this meet and I want to thank everyone that helped make it a go. For next year I think it would be a great help if we could print our avatars next to our name on the name badges. Some people I only know by picture only.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 67
Thanks to Larry and John and others for organizing the meet. I had a great time meeting many of you and listening to the sweet gear there. Some impressions:

O2mkII + WooAudio WES was just awesome. My favorite setup at the meet. Everything just sounded great off of it with even the supposedly "okay" source that WooAudio had.

Jade + Yikes' modded WooAudio GES was another great setup. I really enjoyed listening to it and became saddened after remembering the price.
tongue_smile.gif

HD800 + M^3/B52 on both rigs did not give me the "wow" factor initially, but grew on me as I listened longer. Pretty nice presentation all around, but I preferred the two stat rigs above.

Nikongod's DIY tube amp was really nice. I listened to it with some HD600s and the HF2s and it did very well with both. It sounded more solid state than tube and gave the HD600s some nice speed and dynamics. Thanks for bringing it and giving me the rundown on that nice little piece of gear!

I did a very brief comparison of the RS1 and HF2 and thought the RS1 were a bit brighter, while the HF2 had a bit more bass (quantity and extension). I preferred the HF2.

A couple of us tried the HF2 with bagel pads from the GS1k briefly. I thought the sound change was minimal with a slight change in the midrange, but still retained the bass slam. The bagel pads are much more comfortable for me, but I may just need to soften the bowls up a bit more.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vinyl transferred to CD sounded as good as (or maybe better than) my best sounding CDs. i really need to look into this.

I'd be interesting in hearing more about this. How were the transfers done (TT->PC connections, editing software, etc.)?

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #21 of 67
I had a great time listening to gear, and hanging out with everyone.

Fang (head-direct) and Jack Woo (woo audio) were both very cool to chat with. The new head-direct MP3 player with really nice amp built in was SWEET! The newest versions of the WES and the WOO-22 showed pretty big upgrades from when I heard them last. The WES was FAR smoother than at canjam, but still showed GREAT detail and resolution VERY nice indeed. I cant wait to hear the final version when it rolls out. The 22 was running full tilt for sure. It was nice to see all the output jacks on it, and it sounded outstanding with the HD-650 that Jack had on hand.

VPI's balanced M3 rig sounded really really good with the HD-800's, much better than I remember them sounding in my home system with better depth but still the resolution and range they had.

Barry's cayn/k1000 system also sounded great, with good placements, and a nice overall sound. It also nailed the "depth" of the image once the output transformer got dialed in.

Testing tubes was fun, and that little tester looks like a pretty good buy for someone who likes tube-rolling, although I wish it had a short indicator. The displayed parameters are perfect for known good tubes though.

El-Doug's LD-6 rig was also singing along proudly. I like this amp, it would probably make a good base for a few upgrades and tweaks.

The "hearing test challenge" was also quite a fun time although I wish the room levels were quite a bit quieter, or IEM's were used and perhaps both. On the last of the levels I aced, I had a hard time picking the sound out of the background/room noise, but whatever.

Im probably forgetting something, but overall it was a great time.

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interesting in hearing more about this. How were the transfers done (TT->PC connections, editing software, etc.)?

i asked the head-fier about it. he told me, but i didn't catch all of it and forgot the rest. the vinyl to CD sounded very good though. hopefully, he will chime in.

i wonder if any companies sell CDs like this?

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 67
The rig that I liked the most and went back to again and again was nikongod's Cary CDP (303?) + Tooleaudio Balanced Mosfet amp + HD800 and HF2. They were heavenly. I thought the HF2 sounded really good and probably the best grados in the room. They were forward sounding but in a more controlled manner than the rest. The HD800 had a rich, lushness to it and the depth of the instruments were palpable. The Clapton Unplugged cd sounded very realistic on them.

Some of you have mentioned you did not like the sound of the D7000. I assume you mean the re-cabled D7000 that Yikes had. I would recommend listening to a stock D7000 (though I wish I had brought mine). Personally, I feel, the stock D7000s are every bit rich and detailed as the HD800, with the one factor being that the HD800 being an open design brings in a sense of airiness.

I wish I could have reached earlier and set up my rig but there was an huge accident on the way at about 15 miles from the Ramada and the traffic was blocked for about an hour. an overturned vehicle. And Sorry I could not stay behind for dinner. I had to travel for about 2.5 hrs to get home.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #26 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets put it this way: I'm an inpatient person.

So, just to clarify, they let you out on a day pass in order to attend this event?
Most inpatient facilities only let patients out for family emergencies
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, just to clarify, they let you out on a day pass in order to attend this event?
Most inpatient facilities only let patients out for family emergencies
tongue.gif

You do not give him enough credit. He clearly escaped! Picked a weird place to hide, however.

And thanks for the pictures. We do win the award for the best looking head-fi meet........
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back