North Toronto Meet 7/26/08 (56k, no way!)
Jul 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
[size=large]North Toronto Meet 7/26/08 (56k, no way!)[/size]

I just wanted to thank everybody for dropping by and making the meet a success. Lots of interesting people and gear. Most notable for me was the Cary, err...Cambridge Audio Azur 840C. Very nice and detailed, unbelievable tone. The Larocco Headcode was also just stunning - too bad it is no longer available (P.S. interesting to note that IPA studio and Larocco Audio websites are now defunct and no longer on the net). Other interesting goodies to oggle were canuck 57's Darvoice dual mono tube amplifier (including volume controls for each channel
confused.gif
very interesting) and Hellenback's perreaux amps which we (naturally) had to compare head to head with the KICAS and Caliente.

Pics:

DSC01963.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

DSC01966.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

DSC01971.jpg

DSC01972.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01976.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01981.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 14
It looks like the possible beginnings of getting that beast into a proper enclosure!

wish things would have turned out differently so I could have made it, but I hope all who were able to make the meet had a wonderful time!

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 14
I just want to thank "O" for hosting a friendly and diverse meet. I got to re-connect with several of the guys from last year's downtown show while listening to some excellent gear.
It was great to get to hear the K.I.C.A.S. amps. I think at their price point anyone would be very hard pressed to find equal, let alone better performance. They both competed very favorably with the Perreaux SXH2 (which sells at close to twice the price). I would be upset if I hadn't received an incredible deal on the Perreaux!
My personal preference was the Caliente but I think it would really come down to personal taste. The Caliente served up the kind of bass and warmth I prefer, while K.I.C.A.S. seemed leaner and more neutral across the sound spectrum. It was very much like listening to two equally good but different headphones.
I think this shows the talent and lack of bias that went into the making of these great little amps. Although each has it's unique sound, they both manage to keep things "clean and simple", getting out of the way to let the music through.
Thanks again for a great time!
smily_headphones1.gif
H.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Looks like you guys had a good time. I'm sorry that I couldn't make it. Next time for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 14
"Lethal Voltages" is my work in progress. It's based on the Aikido circuit by John Broskie. One of these years, when I'm finished tinkering, I will case it up.

I want to thank Oriel for hosting the Meet, I had a great time. It was nice to see some familiar faces and some new ones as well.

More later,

Renato

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
always wanted to hear the DV337. looks like a nice amp.

Paired with the Jolida 100a that Canuck57 brought, I believe it was one of the best sounding units at the meet. That's a lot to say considering some of the gear that was there. Listening through the Senn 650s, it's a setup I would buy without a second thought if I had the money. Just great! H. (as always IMO)

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 14
DAMN it. I wish I'd known about this. I need to hear some electrostats.

Time to start keeping an eye on these things in the planning stages.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 14
Hello everyone, I`m new here, but I`m glad I signed up. Nice to be arund so many headphone lovers. Listen, after Toronto, any chance you guys would come to NY. I live in White Plains (Westchester County). It would be great if you could??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back