North American Samsung Galaxy S4 details! SGH-I337
Apr 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Davis4Ever

New Head-Fier
Tech blogs are reporting today that a Samsung SGH-I337 has posted at the FCC. This model has already been confirmed to have the Exynos CPU. This means there is finally a chance for a North American Galaxy S with a Wolfson Audio Chip in tow.

Engadget link

Discussion? Anyone as excited as I am by this? All of these S1's I have are showing their age, lol (Yup, I have at least 3 of them, just in case haha)

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 5
I am also using a Galaxy S1 and absolutely dying to upgrade.  Obviously SQ is paramount for me or I wouldn't be running such an old device.  I'm really waiting to see what the SQ is like on the US variants of the SGS4 and the HTC One.  It all seems rather up in the air at this point.  With the S4, who knows what chipset we're really getting?  And there are a lot of third-party concerns, like Cyanogenmod maybe not making their custom ROM for the S4, and Supercurio maybe not making Voodoo Sound for the S4, and Sammy upsampling audio from 44.1khz to 48 for no good reason.  Maybe the Sony Xperia Z is a dark horse contender if Sammy cripples the audio in US galaxy variants (AGAIN) and HTC's flavor of "beats audio" (argh) and "boomsound" (gag me) destroy SQ?  So many questions...

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 5
If the US variant of the S4 comes with a Wolfson DAC (and doesn't have some other major problem that would tank the whole deal), you can pencil me in for one. I had a Droid Charge (which had the Wolfson and sounded pretty darn good) and the S3 (which has some garbage Yamaha chip and sounds like the southern end of a northbound horse) and would LOVE to have a phone on my personal line that has solid SQ without having to use an external DAC/amp. And while I'm asking, I'd love for Sammy to cut the silly crap and wire up their headset jack to work like HTC and (as much as I hate to say it) Apple.

C'mon, Samsung... you can DO it!!! (Without effin' it up this time.) :wink:

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 5
I actually don't think it's superior-- I think it's annoying. But it seems to be the standard wiring for most headphones with mics, and it drives me crazy that I can use my IE8i cable with my Droid DNA with no problems, but it won't work with the S3, even with the Meelectronics TRRS adapter cable (link). There's a thread on XDA (link) where they go through which headphones work with the S3 at what level of functionality, and it just seems silly to make it difficult on consumers by having products that don't interwork and don't even have an option for working (there is no IE8 cable for the S3, for example). Frankly, I think Apple should be the ones to change, but they've never seemed to be overly concerned with doing what was best for an industry or consumers IMO, so I think the onus is on Samsung to recognize what's best for their customers and make the change.

I wholly recognize this is an opinion and not a fact, so disagreement is a-ok with me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back