Normal 3d printed custom in-ear with ??? Drivers
Jul 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BeatsWork

1000+ Head-Fier
http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/08/normal-makes-headphones-3d-printed-to-your-ear/

Normal is looking to sell $199 customized ear buds made to the shape of an individual’s ear.

The brainchild of Nikki Kaufman, a former Quirky executive (and spouse of Quirky founder Ben Kaufman), Normal represents a new step in the evolution of manufacturing through 3D printing.

Users download the Normal app available on iOS orAndroid and are asked to take pictures of both ears using a coin as a point of reference so the app can size things correctly.

Once both ears have been documented for Normal, customers can further customize their headphones with different selections for cord length and color, and accent colors on the earphones’ hardware.

The company uses Stratasys Fortus 250mc printers to manufacture the earforms and is using undisclosed top-of-the-line suppliers for the audio components, according to Kaufman.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 3
This sounds really cool and cutting edge, for the price point.  But ultimately, it is still about how they sound.

I did go to the website and watch the video, which was entertaining.  But have they anywhere to demo the sound to get an idea of what sort of quality the headphones are?  I would think, in a very non-technical assumption, that a custom molded ear piece would enable you to get a better seal and ultimately improve the sound.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Still can't get the image of the tailor and "fitting process" out of my head but yes it's definitely memorable :)

It's only a single driver as compared to other custom in-ear with 2-5 speakers but considering it costs $200 just to get a custom ear mold it's a helluva bargain and intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back