Norh SE-9 Best value tube amp for speakers?
May 27, 2005 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Vedder323

500+ Head-Fier
Hey ya guys! I have been searching for a new audio system and at the heart of it im thinking of the Norh SE-9. I will most likey be matching it with Axiom M3ti's or Norh 4.0s. Has anyone had experience with this amp?

Also... feel free to recommend any tube amp around the same price!

May 28, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 11
It's a good amp for the price, but you need very efficient speakers. I tried the Norh SE-9 on my 87dB sensitivity rated Energy C-2 speakers and I got a mushy overly warm sound. Great amp for the K-1000 headphones.

May 28, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
It's a good amp for the price, but you need very efficient speakers. I tried the Norh SE-9 on my 87dB sensitivity rated Energy C-2 speakers and I got a mushy overly warm sound. Great amp for the K-1000 headphones.

So would the amp not be a good match for the Axiom M3ti's?

May 28, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 11
Wow $450? I would expect the kit for that amp to cost that much, and it uses the 12AX7 which is a great gain tube. The inside is simple enough that it is a shame they did not go point to point, but for the $ I don't see how anyone could complain.

May 28, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
So would the amp not be a good match for the Axiom M3ti's?

If the Axiom is very sensitive and you like a warm "tubey" sound then you have found your amp.

May 28, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Wow $450? I would expect the kit for that amp to cost that much, and it uses the 12AX7 which is a great gain tube. The inside is simple enough that it is a shame they did not go point to point, but for the $ I don't see how anyone could complain.

I owned this amp, and I'll tell you this statement is as true as it gets. It's well constructed, and it weighs a ton (which tells me that there's some meat in the OT).

I never did give it much time with speakers. It didn't drive my vintage Polks very well, but they're sort of middle of the road wrt sensitivity. I always wondered how it would drive something like Klipsch Heresys.

At any rate, at that price it's worth the gamble IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back