Nordost Valhalla appreciation thread
Oct 9, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #16 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
One can easily make the argument that the benefits of a Porsche 911 Carrera over a "mid-class" car is easily quantifiable and measurable (eg. better acceleration times, shorter braking distances, better roadholding, etc.). With audio cables, the audible differences are extremely subjective. How can one measure "better soundstage," "darker background," etc?

It is accepted to pay huge amounts of money on exotic cars, but these prices for good or really good cabels,(exotic cables if you like) is not accepted!

Everything has it's price, good cables too.
eggosmile.gif

Alot of people say i can go from a to b just as good with a mid priced car.

You can hear it, and my measure instrument is my ears!

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #17 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Ever since I was born nothing was acceptable to me so I didn't want to buy anything. But then I found something to spend all of my life savings on: Nordost Valhalla cables.

ahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Also for the record I would to state
blink.gif

ahahahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Patrick is not a troll. People should stop calling him that. Being eccentric is not the same thing as being a troll. He really does own the Valhallas, he really did cut them up and rewire nearly everything with them, he really does own Brilliant Pebbles.

ahhahahahhahaha

Patrick, you are always hilarious
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #18 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
ahaha

ahahahaha

ahhahahahhahaha

Patrick, you are always hilarious
smily_headphones1.gif

What's up with the Brilliant Pebbles jokes in every thread?
1 Valhalla cable is better than 20 million bottles of Brilliant Pebbles. I posted an honest thread about it but people like to cherry pick words and ignore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY

Sorry wrong thread.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
Or a plug for all the cables he has for sale....

I don't like plugs, I hardwire them all but Valhalla interconnect is too fat.
I will make my own 1 conductor interconnect from the non-shielded speaker cable which gives better/same performance just because I can hardwire it. First I need to fix the background noise with toilet paper rolls wrapped in multiple sheets of ERS paper.
External ground is better than internal. Tara Labs uses an external grounding station for their Zero cable, $13 000 for 60cm, no thanks.

See speaker cable in the middle.

I'm using the 1 conductor Valhalla right now. After I modded it all the weaknesses of Valhalla went away, except for the connectors of course. I don't like connectors, they give me nightmares!
eek.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #19 of 276
You need to organize European meet or something. Seriously, you're like the only person on this forum that owns/has heard this ridiculously expensive cable, and all you do is praise it like it's the holy grail. It's pointless in the end, and you just end up coming off as an incredulous Valhalla fanatic. Find some way to arrange a mini-meet or something with other head-fiers in your general area, try to arrange a Europe meet, or come to the 2007 international meet. Lack of funds shouldn't be an excuse considering how much you blow on your gear.

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #20 of 276
If I buy that kind of cable for that kind of $$$ my wife will strangle me with it. Having said that...I appreciate living
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
If I buy that kind of cable for that kind of $$$ my wife will strangle me with it. Having said that...I appreciate living
biggrin.gif

Get divorce, sell car, buy Valhalla cables and get busy.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
You need to organize European meet or something. Seriously, you're like the only person on this forum that owns/has heard this ridiculously expensive cable, and all you do is praise it like it's the holy grail. It's pointless in the end, and you just end up coming off as an incredulous Valhalla fanatic. Find some way to arrange a mini-meet or something with other head-fiers in your general area, try to arrange a Europe meet, or come to the 2007 international meet. Lack of funds shouldn't be an excuse considering how much you blow on your gear.

I have owned the Nordost Valhalla stuff. And while I do like them to a certain pointin a synegistic setup I seriously doubt it would suit all systems.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #23 of 276
jorma design prime is said to be even better than valhalla, and its made by your country. Care to try?

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #24 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Get divorce, sell car, buy Valhalla cables and get busy.

You got it backward my friend. If you divorce first, she gets half your money.
First, we need to ruin ourselves by buying valhalla cables, like you did. THEN, we divorce.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #25 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
jorma design prime is said to be even better than valhalla, and its made by your country. Care to try?

$7000 for 1 meter, don't think so.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...orma_prime.htm
Quote:

When my complete system was completely wired with the Jorma Prime cables, a sonic leap to musical heaven occurred. If you buy the Prime interconnects, you absolutely must buy the loudspeaker cables, too. Any other speaker cables will degrade the performance of the interconnects. I know. I tried. There's no way around this. Prepare to pay at least $20,000 for sonic perfection or don't even start. The Prime interconnects plus loudspeaker cables will yield an astounding, staggering 50 percent improvement in definition and musicality over all other cables. I honestly don't know what Jorma Koski is doing that makes all other brands sound either thick or thin, bright or dull, hyped or boring. I just wish he could do it more cheaply. That it has been done at all is quite an accomplishment.

They say Valhalla is thin and bright, that's not true. It only sounds like that if there are problems in the system. My system sounds very heavy.

The best cable should sound bright in a poor system, otherwise it is flawed.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #26 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
I have to give patrick at least some credit:

I also have some nordost cables of the reference series and the cables did more for my system then any other cable did thus far!

If you can't afford these cables, it doesn't mean this cables aren't good or better then others!

A porche 911 carera is better then a mid class car, yet the differences in cables and especially prices for good cables are not accepted.

Nobody however questions the need for a carera 911 to go from a to b!

I heard cables trought the whole range and can concur that the reference series of cables sounds best. period.

A smart man would buy these wonderful cables second hand for 1/3 of the price.
eggosmile.gif

Before my father gave up audio and got in to woodworking, he used to have Nordost SPM reference interconnects in his system, they were good but they didn't completely alter the system as Patrick states. Increased clarity and resolution and even a touch of sybillance were introduced by the interconnects, but they weren't dramatic. There's a big difference between a car like the Porsche Carera, Aston Martin V8, BMW M6, Dodge Viper, Honda/Acura NSX, Noble M12, etc and a Honda Civic coupe.

By his reasoning and by your metaphor, it would be like me saying; if I stick an HKS Mega-flow intake on a Honda Civic or if I put some VP110 in a Civic's tank, improving the sources of intake of the engine, it'll outpace a Honda NSX. It just is not physically possible. When dealing with cables we are talking about relatively miniscule differences, differences that a lot of people can't even hear. I guarantee you that even someone who isn't a car enthusiast can tell the difference in performance between a Porsche Carera and a Honda Civic, can the same be said about a reference interconnect and one from Radioshack?

I myself am a firm believe in cables, if the rest of my system were done and I had the cash, I'd definitely buy something like the Nordost Valhalla or the Nordost Tyr however, I do not believe any cable can 180 a system. He says his K1000 went from shrill and harsh to full bodied with an unbelievable warmth, c'mon people. Even Alwayswantmore tested out his Valkyrja recabled K1000, the one he says has unbelievable bass and warmth. Even he, the guy who loves the K1000 and has a Wadia and a Sig 30 feeding into it, said it was too harsh for his taste.

Don't even get me started on what he has done to those cables, and that poor GCC-100. Have you seen his solder jobs and connector "improvements"? Yes, Patrick knows more about cables than the engineers at Nordost! Amazing, he should go into the cable industry! He'd make millions with his patented EMI cloth/Toilet paper dieclectic technology!

Oct 9, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #27 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
He says his K1000 went from shrill and harsh to full bodied with an unbelievable warmth, c'mon people. Even Alwayswantmore tested out his Valkyrja recabled K1000, the one he says has unbelievable bass and warmth. Even he, the guy who loves the K1000 and has a Wadia and a Sig 30 feeding into it, said it was too harsh for his taste.

Don't even get me started on what he has done to those cables, and that poor GCC-100. Have you seen his solder jobs and connector "improvements"? Yes, Patrick knows more about cables than the engineers at Nordost! Amazing, he should go into the cable industry! He'd make millions with his patented EMI cloth/Toilet paper dieclectic technology!

I never said Valhalla made my system warm. Where did you get that? Valhalla always makes the system bright because it is more revealing.

But after all problems are solved it sounds very warm! Valhalla doesn't make it sound bright, it just passes through the signal.

Power conditioning and vibration isolation is what makes the system sound warm. Eventually it got so unbearably warm that I had to mod the Valhallas thinner to increase the brightness.

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #28 of 276
Quote:

ouch.
rolleyes.gif

Interesting thread.

Oct 9, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #29 of 276
Valhalla isn't for sissy girl, you need a fast brain to keep up with the speed!

Before I needed to brace myself in the chair and I got spasms in my ears and headaches from the tight bass, but then I got used to the speed and can listen with a neutral state of mind.
plainface.gif

K1000.Valkyrja-before.turning.on.music.JPG

K1000.Valkyrja-shocked.and.braced.in.chair.JPG

Half year ago.

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #30 of 276
Quote:

Even Alwayswantmore tested out his Valkyrja recabled K1000, the one he says has unbelievable bass and warmth. Even he, the guy who loves the K1000 and has a Wadia and a Sig 30 feeding into it, said it was too harsh for his taste.

My round with Valkyrja was on a brighter amp (i.e. Ayre V3 is brighter than the Sig 30 -- for that matter, most amps are probably brighter than the Sig 30), and I also removed AKGs Printed Circuit Board. So I've never heard K1000s with the PCB and Valkyrja on my Sig 30. I would welcome hearing that combo, but I'm not going to risk another DIY cable job.

P.S. I will also add that even though it was bright, there was no denying there was tons of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back