Nordost Thor is in the house!!!
Oct 1, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #91 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The circular item next to the black part; is that a torrioid transformer? I know that those usually look much bigger in other designs.

I know my PS Audio P500 has a huge one. I think this may have something to do with the fact that it is generating power as opposed to distributing it, which is what the Nordost does.

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #92 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know my PS Audio P500 has a huge one. I think this may have something to do with the fact that it is generating power as opposed to distributing it, which is what the Nordost does.

It generates power huh?

Where exactly among the midst of passive components is it able to due that?

Guess the law of conservation of energy has nothing on the Nordost Thor.

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #94 of 133
I like voodoo; I think they are sweet. Sure you can get the tech for less money but voodoo makes statement products
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #95 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like voodoo; I think they are sweet. Sure you can get the tech for less money but voodoo makes statement products
wink.gif

Yeah, it's sick. My only complaint is that it is a little noisy... I have to use IEMs instead of open cans. However, that's a minor complaint for something that cuts through graphics intensive programs like butter.

EDIT--Also, their customer service is god-awful, possibly the worst I've ever dealt with.

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #96 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is that I don't constantly hop on people's posts and try to start fights with them. I'm not a pacifist; if someone craps all over my thread, I'm not just going to sit there and take it. If you read the whole thread, you'll see that there are people who contribute constructive criticism, and I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with flaming, which is what this guy has a reputation for.

It is nice to see that he has a friend, though
eek.gif

Except he uses facts and arguments and you just call him names
frown.gif

It is important that people who come to read this thread (who might be thinking about buying Nordost products) get both sides of the story: the enthusiastic side and the skeptical side. If you want to be enthusiastic about products with no challenge from other users then just buy yourself a spot in the sponsor section of the forum, or start your own website or something.

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #97 of 133
Sorry, not taking the bait. The ignore list is an awesome tool.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #98 of 133
I side with earwicker7, I have never read any impressions of the Nordost Thor here. Have you? Wouldn't you guys like to see people bring reviews of new equipment to the forum? Or would you like to read the same "which headphones for gaming" threads a thousand times?

The thread crappers here at head-fi are top notch. Bring something new or insightful to the table, or don't post at all. I'm tired of reading the same reiterated garbage in every single cable/power/tweak thread. I don't think I should have to use the ignore list, I figured people would be more civil.

Before posting people should ask themselves "If I was facing this person in real life would I be such a prick? Or should I just stay out of conversations that I continuously disagree with?"

Why don't you go troll the headphones section and police the same repeated threads by telling people to use the search function.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #99 of 133
Yeah, yeah, hit 'em where it hurts, word up!

Sorry, bad Sonic Youth impression
smily_headphones1.gif

Well put!

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #100 of 133
I could only hope to someday audition more expensive equipment in my rig some day, but until then I am relegated to reading reviews here on head-fi and the rest of the web. I just don't want to see the people that go out and take a "leap of faith" on higher priced hi-fi equipment stop coming around.

Maybe the people who jump from thread to thread arguing other peoples opinions should think about posting some first hand impressions themselves.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #102 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never read any impressions of the Nordost Thor here. Have you?

I have:

Quote:

HOLY S**T!!! It is unreal how much this thing has opened up my system. Un... be... lievable.

Quote:

I now understand the "music is more three dimensional" idea that I've read in some reviews. I thought that this would be impossible just due to the nature of headphones, but it turns out it isn't. Here's my theory... the low level detail on this unit is unreal. I noticed on one of the really old Pink Floyd CDs that there was an audible echo when the drum was working alone. I had never heard this echo in years of listening to this album. I think that being able to actually hear extremely subtle cues like this gives one the sense of three dimensionality.

Quote:

I've listened to this for an entire day, and I'm ready to commit to the following statement--this thing has made more of a difference than ANY addition to my system with the exception of switching from crap Best Buy headphones to audiophile headphones. More than adding a headphone amp, more than adding vinyl, more than adding tubes, more than changing from stock power cords. I have never in my life heard music this real without it being live. This thing is sick in the most complementary way. If you can afford one, you must must must try to arrange a 30 day trial. This thing DESTROYS my PS Audio P500, and that was a quite nice power supply. It would kill me to go back.

And, as an icing, one by you specifically (not about the Thor specifically, but let's not split hairs):

Quote:

The first time I heard Nordost changed all of my thoughts on cabling (they are the only high end cables I have heard). I always assumed it didn't get any better than Belden/Mogami/Canare Star-Quad... I can't explain it, but they really do work.

See what I mean?

Edit: The point is that the benefits of this piece of equipment are debatable from the scientific/design point of view, or at least its price seems unjustified given what it actually does and how it's designed. It is important that this qualification is made clear for the benefit of those who might be impressed by the reviews I quoted above. This company (Nordost) is well known for selling extremely expensive equipment whose benefits are controversial - and that's putting it delicately.

Anyways, my job here is done
wink.gif
Bye.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #103 of 133
OP: what are you using as the input power cord for your Thor? I found with my power conditioner, I get the most bang out of the thing if I have the best power cord on the conditioner input.

any thoughts on this?

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #104 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP: what are you using as the input power cord for your Thor? I found with my power conditioner, I get the most bang out of the thing if I have the best power cord on the conditioner input.

any thoughts on this?

I'm using a Shunyata Anaconda. It's an improvement over the Cardas Twinlink that I started out with, although not as huge of a difference that adding the Thor made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back