Nordost Silver Shadow VS Valhalla digital?
Jul 28, 2006 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

Patrick82

Banned
I'm still a skeptic and using stock yellow video cable.
redface.gif

Is Valhalla really better than Silver Shadow or is it just there to fill up the space in the Valhalla line? I'm not interested in placebo.

If the goal is to get exact 75 Ohms impedance then how can Valhalla be better?
confused.gif
See the review.

I haven't found any reviews of the Valhalla so it makes me a bit suspicious. Also, someone said that the customers (ignorant?) had requested a Valhalla digital cable to be made.

Jul 28, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 75
I use a silver shadow, Personally couldn't tell the difference between the two. You might be able to. It just I couldn't. Having said that the source that I use it for is not really a detail orientated type source.

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 75
Uh, I have been reading some more and I hope my mind isn't too clouded by skeptics now. It seems like Silver Shadow is the way to go.

Anyone knows where to buy it? Audiogon seller only sells to USA.
I could also buy it new, but bang for buck guy doesn't buy new.
wink.gif

I hope I don't need to wait forever...at least it gives me time to save up for Valhalla.

Is AES/EBU better than RCA?

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Uh, I have been reading some more and I hope my mind isn't too clouded by skeptics now. It seems like Silver Shadow is the way to go.

Anyone knows where to buy it? Audiogon seller only sells to USA.
I could also buy it new, but bang for buck guy doesn't buy new.
wink.gif

I hope I don't need to wait forever...at least it gives me time to save up for Valhalla.

Is AES/EBU better than RCA?

I bought my last two from the US. You should be able to find a used one and they usually willing to ship anywhere as it is light and small.

When connecting it, Just use whatever gives you 75ohm impedance. I use the electrical digital connection (coaxial) method.

I thought AES connection was 150 ohm?

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 75
I can contribute some experience with the Vahalla digital.

I presently use this one on my home HiFi set, to connect a TAG Mclaren AV192R and DVD32R. I also use a clock sync between these two.
Before, I tried many cables, van den Hul, Chord, No names, but none suited my ears.

The NordOst Valhalla digital brought stability and easiness to the sound. Before I got tired after listening for an hour or two, but after the Valhalla I can listen for hours and hours.

The soundstage and sound in all did not change much it was mostly the 'silences between the notes' that got me.

Rgds Hans

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 75
You should rewire your TV with some of that stuff.

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 75
ebay.Valhalla.digital.payment%20completed.JPG

Wow, it's still unreal, everything happened so fast, I don't believe it until I have the cable in my hands.
Imagine if I clicked 1 second too late and was forced to spend twice as much from other seller.
eek.gif

I had to let fate decide, that's why I waited until the last second. Good to get that adrenaline pumping you know...
basshead.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 75
Oh man, you seem to be really hooked on Nordost cables!
tongue.gif

Congrats though...

Aug 17, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 75

I plugged it in and didn't get a night and day improvement like with my other Valhalla cables. I guess I finally entered the point of diminishing returns.
blink.gif

It made my Benchmark DAC-1 sound horribly warm, maybe it needs some burn-in...

Aug 18, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #14 of 75
OMG warmth problem is solved!

I disconnected another conductor of my Valhalla power cord for my DAC1 and it opened up the window to the music pretty good. I also did the same with my Cary 303/300 transport and it got little better there.

Optimizing the conductors makes night and day improvements! OMG.
eek.gif

Here's what I use now:

DAC1: 1 red + 1 black + 1 ground

Cary: 2 red + 2 black + 1 ground Update: With 55cm instead of 160cm 1+1+1 is best! Update2: Using 105cm and 1+1+1, but it needed ERS Paper.

GCC-100 Left channel: 1 red + 1 black + 1 ground
GCC-100 Right channel: 1 red + 1 black + 1 ground
7th conductor for ground.

Power Plant and Ultimate Outlet: Stock (3+3+1) Update: Using 2+2+1 now, 1 meter instead of 2 meters. Update2: Using 1+1+1 after wrapping it with ERS Paper.

[size=xx-small]Click for bigger pictures[/size]

[size=medium]Benchmark DAC-1[/size]

Transformer has opposite color wiring.

[size=medium]Cary 303/300[/size]

Bend the 2 conductors into shape and insert into the crimp thing. It gets tight when done correctly. No soldering needed.
wink.gif

[size=medium]PS Audio GCC-100[/size]

Coming out of skin like snake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back