NorCal Summer Meet Saturday 6/28/2008 impressions
Jul 1, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #106 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are correct there.
cool.gif
The Signatures are very good though not quite up the He90 level. You should also check out a recabled Koss ESP/950 for some more of that same sound signature but even better controlled.

Great
rolleyes.gif
another headphone I'll have to listen to...that's all I need

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #107 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ironbut had his AT AD2000s, which sound great in many systems. I have a pair, Whitney, if you want to borrow them sometime.

Ahh, yes. Sure! thanks
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #108 of 126
Not sure if I mentioned this earlier but BIG THANKS to the Members of the Trade that either came out to the meet or supported it by shipping gear to the meet.
While many are aware that Eddie Current, HeadAmp, SinglePower and AMB were there we also had Headroom send the ultra portable stack, portable desktop and balanced desktop amps also TTVJ shipped the awesome Millet 307A amp. These folks keep it interesting making it out to these events by bringing new stuff for us to listen to and enjoy. Oh and honorable mention to the MagiDac that Blessingx was able to secure prior to the meet for us to check out.

Finally thanks to all that showed up and supported the meet!!!!

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #109 of 126
did anyone ask craig when the nautilus would go into production or when he thinks it will be available for pre-order or purchase.

thanks.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #110 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great
rolleyes.gif
another headphone I'll have to listen to...that's all I need

my thoughts exactly...i suppose it's good though that there's always new gear to try and get interested in.
Still feel residual withdrawal from all that nice electrostatic gear at the meet...but at least the gear doesn't cost an arm and leg...
lambdas did sound really sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #111 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did anyone ask craig when the nautilus would go into production or when he thinks it will be available for pre-order or purchase.

thanks.

Craig might not even make a production run of the nautilus...though I'm sure you could get one if you wanted one bad enough.

He said during the meet that he's waiting to try some new transformers for the Balancing Act and after comparing both, he'll make a production run of which ever one sounds better (to his ears).

He said he'd know in another week or two.

I plan to follow-up and see...i might even be in LA again in another couple of weeks to do a comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #112 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I am saving up for my next big purchase, which is supposed to float
307_sail_boating.gif

Location of CanJam 2010 Cruise?

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #113 of 126
Is anyone missing their Sennheiser 1/4"-mini cable adapter? I was checking my bag last night and found an extra that's clearly not mine, I guess I must've accidentally grabbed it at the meet. PM me if it's yours.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #114 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my thoughts exactly...i suppose it's good though that there's always new gear to try and get interested in.
Still feel residual withdrawal from all that nice electrostatic gear at the meet...but at least the gear doesn't cost an arm and leg...
lambdas did sound really sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Completely agree - the Lambdas really left an impression here as well. After spritzer's comments about the Koss phones, I may have to investigate
smily_headphones1.gif
- those old RS-1s were pretty cool as well.

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #115 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Location of CanJam 2010 Cruise?

of course! I should have found something I like (and can afford...) by then
cool.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #116 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely agree - the Lambdas really left an impression here as well. After spritzer's comments about the Koss phones, I may have to investigate
smily_headphones1.gif
- those old RS-1s were pretty cool as well.

after hearing the stax rig that blessingx put together I picked up an old stax sr-x mklll and damn this may be the best $200 spent in headphones purchases. Hooked up to an old fisher tube amp it sound fantastic. Now off to find a suitable dedicated amp and other old stax cans that rock on the cheap.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #117 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after hearing the stax rig that blessingx put together I picked up an old stax sr-x mklll and damn this may be the best $200 spent in headphones purchases. Hooked up to an old fisher tube amp it sound fantastic. Now off to find a suitable dedicated amp and other old stax cans that rock on the cheap.

Uh-Oh! John's got the stat' bug now too. I can't help thinking that there must be a way to use one of Craig's balanced amps to output to a better transformer/s for bias (hey, even if it wouldn't work very well, maybe if we continue to mention to him about the 211 amp he'll give up and design one).

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #118 of 126
Quote:

One of us, one of us, one of us...
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #119 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh-Oh! John's got the stat' bug now too. I can't help thinking that there must be a way to use one of Craig's balanced amps to output to a better transformer/s for bias (hey, even if it wouldn't work very well, maybe if we continue to mention to him about the 211 amp he'll give up and design one).

interestingly enough in passing he mentioned the potential for a 300b tied to transformers for bias, could be interesting a serve a multitude of purposes. I wonder how high a quality the transformers in the 30+ year old srd7 are. Would better transformers in a dedicated amp assist in providing the best of both worlds, the tranny box vs the dedicated amp. Most seem to feel it's a trade off between dynamics (tranny) vs detail (dedicated amp).

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #120 of 126
Quote:

interestingly enough in passing he mentioned the potential for a 300b tied to transformers for bias, could be interesting a serve a multitude of purposes. I wonder how high a quality the transformers in the 30+ year old srd7 are. Would better transformers in a dedicated amp assist in providing the best of both worlds, the tranny box vs the dedicated amp. Most seem to feel it's a trade off between dynamics (tranny) vs detail (dedicated amp).

The transformers in the whole SRD line are pretty bad and finding some decent replacements has been on my to-do list for a long time but no time as usual.

The best of both worlds is called the Blue Hawaii.
tongue.gif
You will always have some loss in transformers and good units are very expensive but many push-pull speaker amps can be used to driver Stax phones by tapping into the primary on the output transformer. Many amps have a B+ of 300+V which will give you plenty of voltage swing but they lack the massive CCS of the BH. There are even some electrostatic amps designed like this by using a push-pull choke instead of the output transformer.

You can also use a 1:3 transformer on a Stax amp to boost the voltage swing but it will eat into the current and might make the amp unstable. More voltage swing isn't really what we are after but better current delivery when the impedance of the ES unit drops. This is why the SRD's aren't all that good at driving the more difficult phones as they simply can't output enough power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back