NorCal/SF Bay Area Meet 8/8/2009
Aug 5, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #256 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do have good shots Linux. I would be interested in some tips. Probably means getting a new Camera..... :)

Probably not, you have a D50, right? Though you might need a new flash...and a macro lens....and a tilt/shift lens if you want to get real fancy!
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #259 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, I guess LAN ip address assignments and a 'building LAN' is out of the question?
wink.gif

(I used to go to interop/networld shows all the time; sometimes to actually present on behalf of the vendor who sent me. and connecting to the 'show/floor LAN' was a big deal; but I guess that doesn't apply here, exactly lol).

still, would be fun to think of having a shared lan, servers and that way we could demo music without swapping cables.

ah, to dream..
wink.gif

You may well be in luck. At past Marin (and Bay Area) Meets I've been able to set up a LAN using a router for DHCP and wireless access, and host a squeezeserver on a laptop, serving a Transporter and various squeezeboxes on the network. Some 5 port switches and some cat5 cabling have allowed us to extend the physical reach of the network.

The plan is for something similar again this time - the idea was to provide synced S/PDIF feeds to Fallen Angels DAC's, but whatever works.

Starting with a know good network means we can get things up and running, and then enjoy the music, equipment and people at the meet.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #262 of 351
the only thing I have that needs networking is my MPDmaster box (a thing that acts like a web client to a linux mpd music player daemon). the arduino does not have dhcp ability with the ethernet card I'm using, so its static IP only and worse yet, configured at build time (when you download code to it). but since I'm bringing the code, devel kit and serial cable, I guess I can reconfig the IP addr, on site, if I have to.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #263 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not, you have a D50, right? Though you might need a new flash...and a macro lens....and a tilt/shift lens if you want to get real fancy!
biggrin.gif

Dang it!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #265 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only thing I have that needs networking is my MPDmaster box (a thing that acts like a web client to a linux mpd music player daemon). the arduino does not have dhcp ability with the ethernet card I'm using, so its static IP only and worse yet, configured at build time (when you download code to it). but since I'm bringing the code, devel kit and serial cable, I guess I can reconfig the IP addr, on site, if I have to.

As you suspected, the router uses the addresses 192.168.1.x by default.
It uses 192.168.1.1 for itself, and the DHCP pool starts at 192.168.1.100 .
Do you think a static IP in the range 192.168.1.2-99 will work for you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Any additional cat 5 + switches are always welcome.

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #267 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang it!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to rely on my panasonic fz30 digicam for my macro shots. no fancy macro lenses, per se, with a superzoom like that; rather you use screw-on front filters (2 element ones, though) that are macro 'close up' lenses. those are often in the $25 range, used. quite cheap. and the superzoom with its smaller sensor gives a depth of field advantage over slrs.

you could get setup with a camera and macro attachment like that for $200 or less. that's about half of what I spent on JUST the proper macro lens, for my slr, and nothing else. superzooms (10x, 12x, mag factors like that) are really great for macro shots. don't just assume you need slrs to get good pics. slrs work but they are way more pricey than the fixed lens digicams.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #269 of 351
because the PPAS that Fallenangel is offering is relatively rare, I feel I ought to chime in since I own one that he built. I agree with everything Pavel said about it, I've honestly never heard a portable amp that sounds better. I havn't tried it with low impedance cans, but it is the only portable that I've heard that can drive my 600 ohm K240 without freaking out. Sounds like a mini-PPA

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #270 of 351
Quote:

Originally Posted by BauhausBold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how does this work? I've never been to a meet. Can I bring a cd and listen to various tracks, or is it basically whatever is on that rig?

Yeah, bring your own. It helps when you are familiar with it. Some will have music servers, but there are usually a good amount of CD players there. Just come, hang out and listen to different gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back