NorCal Regional, August 25th
Aug 13, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #166 of 347
Thanks Justin, looking forward to seeing & hearing whatever you're bringing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this meet is getting to be pretty big! As much as I'd love to hear the Omega II, I'm going to have to pass on this meet due to the size (so you can remove from the list, Asr). Hope you guys have fun!

You've gotta be kidding, you want to pass because it's too big? Well yeah it is getting big, but I'm in the process of finding out ways to increase venue space so if that's a concern don't worry about it, I've got things under control!
smily_headphones1.gif
And big meets are the best you know, my first meet was the 2006 International and man that was awesome! I gotta give props to the NY crew again!

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #167 of 347
There is kind of a point to that...it is really difficult to get any critical listening done at this scale, it becomes more of a hung-out and show off lol.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #169 of 347
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why these things are called meets!
smily_headphones1.gif
And if you want to do critical listening, hang out in the K1000 room.
tongue.gif

Will all the nice amplifiers travel there with me too?
eggosmile.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #170 of 347
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've gotta be kidding, you want to pass because it's too big? Well yeah it is getting big, but I'm in the process of finding out ways to increase venue space so if that's a concern don't worry about it, I've got things under control!
smily_headphones1.gif
And big meets are the best you know, my first meet was the 2006 International and man that was awesome! I gotta give props to the NY crew again!

Well, I figure that a large meet environment is probably the one of the worser environments to do extensive A/B'ing between gears. While I'm sure that these larger meets are probably a whole lot of fun socially and stuff, my primary business in the first couple meets I go to is to find that sound signature that's just for me (and considering how many headphones I haven't been able to try, that's a lot of comparisons to be made -- K701, HD600/HD650, Fully-modded K340, K1000, Omega II, HE60/HE90 etc.; not too mention the multitudes of sources & amps). I also figure that there'd be somewhat of a queue for the big-ticket items, such as the Omega II (I can't focus if I know that somebody is waiting on me), and that trying out specific headphone/amp/source systems that I'm interested in will be virtually impossible. I also believe that these larger meets tend to be kind of noisy (which for me would make it difficult to carefully listen to open headphones)?

I haven't actually been to a meet before, though. So, I could just be wrong about all of the above
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #171 of 347
You shouldn't have any problems getting the general impression Azure, big meets provide alot of variation, so you can get the taste, and then queue in on the favorites, which is exactly what you are in position for...
My case is far more discerning, I already have the final phones, and the source, I am just looking at amps.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #172 of 347
Quote:

Well, I figure that a large meet environment is probably the one of the worser environments to do extensive A/B'ing between gears. While I'm sure that these larger meets are probably a whole lot of fun socially and stuff, my primary business in the first couple meets I go to is to find that sound signature that's just for me (and considering how many headphones I haven't been able to try, that's a lot of comparisons to be made -- K701, HD600/HD650, Fully-modded K340, K1000, Omega II, HE60/HE90 etc.; not too mention the multitudes of sources & amps). I also figure that there'd be somewhat of a queue for the big-ticket items, such as the Omega II (I can't focus if I know that somebody is waiting on me), and that trying out specific headphone/amp/source systems that I'm interested in will be virtually impossible. I also believe that these larger meets tend to be kind of noisy (which for me would make it difficult to carefully listen to open headphones)?

I haven't actually been to a meet before, though. So, I could just be wrong about all of the above
tongue.gif

Well you're on Team Berkeley-Fi, those guys on campus will definitely take care of your critical-listening needs, I can almost guarantee it.
wink.gif
I can also guarantee pretty much no one gets to really critical listen at large meets, so you won't be the only one.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #173 of 347
i cant friggin wait to hear GS1ks and AKG K701's thanks guys!

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #174 of 347
MaloS- I've got an extra laptop as well as my desktop, you're covered.

Awesome equipment list though guys! This should be great

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #175 of 347
If someone gives me a ride I can lug my whole K1000/L3000 setup there.

My source is not quite up to Neilvg's EMM-stack, but I think it's decent enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #177 of 347
Quote:

tongue.gif

You are wrong about some of it. I've never seen what I'd describe as a "queue" to listen to somebody's system, usually people just go listen to something else until the opportunity opens up.

Depending on the meet, it can get loud. However, given the venue we'll be using it should be less of a problem. ASR and others who feel like they have some leadership could easily direct the "heavy chatters" to just go into the hallway which is directly adjacent to the conference room. Having been there for Head-fest, a lot of the people that were just talking did go hang out in the hall or lobby, and it worked well to at least divert some of the conversation from the listening areas.

Also, listening to specific combinations is not that hard. You just need to talk to the owners of specific pieces to see if they are OK with you hooking up your source to their amp, or the like. People are generally very amiable and accommodating when possible.

Having been to a lot of meets, it's generally impossible to listen to everything. I know I missed a lot of good stuff I'd like to have heard at Head-Fest, but I still heard a lot of other great stuff, and had a fantastic time.

The bottom line is, get your butt to the meet, man! If only to show off Steve's great woodwork on your DAC (and perhaps show me that not ALL Zhaolu's are overbright poo
wink.gif
). I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #178 of 347
Probably the last vendor update - I just got off the phone with Mikhail who told me that he plans on attending! Singlepower will probably be bringing lots of goodies!

One more guest room will be allocated for Singlepower to help spread out any chaos!
biggrin.gif
Since Singlepower will have its own room, no attendance cap now, this will free up enough space for everyone to attend that wants to!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #179 of 347
Well now I really want to go to this meet, if only to hear the Zanden with the K1000s.

So if anyone can kindly offer me a ride, I'll pay for some gas.
icon10.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #180 of 347
I've got to echo what Asr, Malos and Iron_Dreamer just said about meets. My first meet ever was in this same room at the Radisson and it is easily large enough for 75 or more people. Not everyone is bringing equipment and there will be people who say that they are coming and then can't/won't so we have plenty of room. The high-end/K1000 room has been used at the Radisson for that first meet in 2005 and recently at HeadFest, so that allows for some additional space and quieter listening. There are never "lines" waiting to hear something because there are always too many options. My advice is to come and get what you can out of it. You aren't going to hear ANY of these setups anywhere else, so you might as well do what you can, while you can.

As an added bonus, there is another prize for the raffle that I can announce. Long-time Head-Fier stevesurf was a lucky winner at the HeadFest door prize drawing, but he chose to "pay forward" his prize because he already had IEMs that he liked and he wanted someone else to have the opportunity to win them. SO, thanks to both stevesurf and the original donor, Westone, Asr can add a brand new, sealed pair of Westone UM2 dual-driver IEMs to the prize list! I think that would be worth a couple of tickets...
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back