NorCal 8/8/09 meet impressions
Aug 17, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #136 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Metric Halo ULN-2 and the Sonic Studio 302 are both made by the same company. The hardware difference is just the label on the front. So really, the only differences in sound would just be from unit to unit parts/synergy (in other words, luck of the draw). Powering the unit, output cable (analog), and firewire configuration will have more effect than anything else.
I keep meaning to get inside and see if I can improve the analog in/out but it doesn't seem to be able to get off the back burner (although it's a lot closer than the bass traps that I've been meaning to build for over a year now!).

The Amarra is 24/192 capable and the 302 and ULN-2 (24/96) will take a back seat to it in ultimate fidelity. I'm not positive of all the analog improvements that's been made but they are numerous. The ULN-8 (hardware part of the Amarra) has found a home in many high end studios already and there's nothing better than using the same unit for end user listening that was used to produce the sessions in the first place.

Given what you have just said about the differences between the 302 and the ULN-2, would the same apply to the 304 and the ULN-8? Meaning name badge differences only? Both the 304 and ULN-8 are 24/192 capable and I have read the specs on both IOs but I cannot find any real difference that would matter to me sound wise between the 304 and the ULN-8 so far.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #137 of 154
The 304 is the same as the Metric Halo 2882 rather than the ULN-8. The 2882/304 use the same converters as the ULN-2/302 which are 24/96. What made the 2882 and the ULN-2 different (they were the two hardware offerings from Metric Halo until the ULN-8 was released) was the fewer number of input/outputs on the ULN-2 although it has very high quality analog/hardware inputs (mic preamps) where the 2882 was completely digital.
The ULN-8 has 8 high quality mic preamps/hardware analog inputs, better front panel access to functions along with the 24/192 converters. (panel functions are important for stand alone use like mixing the house sound of a concert or location recording without being connected to a computer).

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #138 of 154
Just to finish the thought Greg, the ULN-8 = Amarra Model 4 (not Sonic Model 304).

For those who heard the Amarra system at the meet, I have to admit to having botched the settings. In the context of trying to make the same output go out to up to 4 separate amps, I managed to double the audio input. I think someone actually said to me that it sounded like the signal was doubled or echoing or some such, and they were right. The sound was still good but it was not up to snuff because with the proper settings (like I have now, d'oh!) it sounds much better. Sorry for the somewhat hobbled example of Amarra hardware/software at the recent meet. It was correct at CanJam, btw, but there had been a version change and my attempt to maximize the number of analog outputs.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #139 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to finish the thought Greg, the ULN-8 = Amarra Model 4 (not Sonic Model 304).

For those who heard the Amarra system at the meet, I have to admit to having botched the settings. In the context of trying to make the same output go out to up to 4 separate amps, I managed to double the audio input. I think someone actually said to me that it sounded like the signal was doubled or echoing or some such, and they were right. The sound was still good but it was not up to snuff because with the proper settings (like I have now, d'oh!) it sounds much better. Sorry for the somewhat hobbled example of Amarra hardware/software at the recent meet. It was correct at CanJam, btw, but there had been a version change and my attempt to maximize the number of analog outputs.

Hey Al,

Don't feel like the lone ranger. These pro audio app's and their manuals really assume a lot from the end user. Not only that, but they're biased toward the recording end of things so lots of things are backwards from a listeners point of view. It took me a while to get used to the way my Mio routes audio and I still get it totally wrong sometimes.
Sometimes late at night I watch movies on my computer display and route the sound to my headphones so I can really crank it up. A couple of times I've left the monitor patch open which is connected to powered speakers and sat there thinking, "Wow, the bass almost feels like it's shaking my feet!", only to discover that the speakers were blasting the whole time at 2am!
At least I wasn't watching and adult movie!

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #140 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Al,

Don't feel like the lone ranger. These pro audio app's and their manuals really assume a lot from the end user. Not only that, but they're biased toward the recording end of things so lots of things are backwards from a listeners point of view. It took me a while to get used to the way my Mio routes audio and I still get it totally wrong sometimes.
Sometimes late at night I watch movies on my computer display and route the sound to my headphones so I can really crank it up. A couple of times I've left the monitor patch open which is connected to powered speakers and sat there thinking, "Wow, the bass almost feels like it's shaking my feet!", only to discover that the speakers were blasting the whole time at 2am!
At least I wasn't watching and adult movie!

o2smile.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #143 of 154
I plugged into (fill in ID)'s stock (not upgraded unit) next to franks table, with my L3000's and gave it a spin. Sound really nice. Not blow your sox off, but nice mid, nice bass, it was pretty fast, and no bad parts that I could find in my short time with it....

Pretty much made me want to build one. And for the Price of the kit... it is a contender for all amps in that class....

Cheers,

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #144 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plugged into (fill in ID)'s stock (not upgraded unit) next to franks table, with my L3000's and gave it a spin. Sound really nice. Not blow your sox off, but nice mid, nice bass, it was pretty fast, and no bad parts that I could find in my short time with it....

Pretty much made me want to build one. And for the Price of the kit... it is a contender for all amps in that class....

Cheers,

Was that the Sex amp? If so, they do sound pretty darn nice and the mods are endless. Those kits are a real pleasure to build and you can learn a lot about what makes them tick (or not tick actually).

Single Ended eXperimenter's Kit

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #145 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I knew I wasn't crazy! This doubling effect wasn't even subtle; it was something on the order of >1sec. It's weird, because sometimes it did, and sometimes it didn't... If other people didn't hear anything, then I must assume it worked for the majority of folks. I managed to get maybe a minute or 2 of really good sound quality, though. Dug the hell out of those Jades.
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #146 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
were there any more impressions on the bottlehead s.e.x. unit?

Yes indeed. I have refrained from reporting my meet impressions thus far. Just wasn't inspired, I guess, though it was my first meet, and I was mightily impressed with the extraordinary display of gear, and with the generosity of the participants, who seemed not just willing, but positively eager to allow me to listen to it. But how dare I report on my favorite sound of the meet, when I did not stop at every table, including some very impressive-looking ones? How dare I report on the sound of the engaging and energetic Donald North's Sonnet, when my only listen was at a time when the noise level in the room was too high to draw any conclusions at all, while wearing my HD800s, that most open of headphones?

So on to the Bottlehead. I spent some time at the table of a friendly gentleman who was a Bottlehead customer, and had, admirably, brought his personally-built amp, and the build instructions, each page lovingly protected by plastic, in a binder, for any and all to flip through. I plugged my DX1000s in, and it was nothing to write home about. Low impedance may not be their forte. I plugged my HD800s in, and was rewarded with the best bass performance I've ever heard from them. I played my ultimate bass track, Little Feat's Spanish Moon, from the great Waiting for Columbus live album, and it rocked, it shook, it displayed the insane bass that this track is supposed to have. The track sounds very good here at home, with the WA6SE, but the performance of this amp made me wonder whether 2 watts is the right place to be, if you're going to put HD800s on your head.

I'm afraid that that startling bass impression has overshadowed any other impressions I might have had about the S.E.X. amp on the HD800s. How was the midrange and treble? I just don't remember. I just remember my happiness at hearing what that combo did to "Spanish Moon," and I certainly wouldn't have been that happy if the other elements weren't at least right enough not to offend. Let us grant that I should have spent much more than 2 hours at the meet, exploring such things. But I did come home with the idea that maybe I should blow the dust of my long-neglected soldering iron, and build myself a S.E.X. The price is right.

While I'm at it, let me report some more impressions. I listened to a lot of things, or so it seemed. I listened to Grados, and learned that I should not dismiss them as all having fiddly treble, but that they're still not right for me, or right enough to justify the cost of the ones that would be OK. I listened to Ultrasones, and learned why people might like their straightforward character, but again heard nothing that would threaten my wallet. I listened to someones Omega MKII, hooked up to a freaking Blue Hawaii. I did not want to like this. It's a whole different chain to buy. But I thought it was pretty darned wonderful. I had hoped to dismiss the Stax thing as "oh yeah, just like those Magneplanars I sold, incredibly delicate, but no guts." Apparantly it's not that simple, at least not if you spend zillions of dollars on one of the coolest-looking amplifiers I've ever seen.

Then I foolishly listened to someones L3000s, hooked up to a Woo WA5 with carefully-selected tubes, including, if I heard right, "the real deal Western Electrics." Holy crap! The Hi-Fier who owned it heard me say "wow" as I took off the L3000s. I don't even want to think about what this implies. This is all above my pay grade. But what a sound!

I also listened to the JH13Pro, during which someone here apparently captured a picture, while my eyes were closed. So much for the semi-incognito visit. He captioned me as something like "another victim," and I can't really argue with that. The JH13Pros were great. If I find a place in my life for IEMS, I'll get some, and damn the cost. Fortunately, it's not practical at this point. I can't shut the world out, given my work and home situation. But I also have to say, as amazing as they were, I'd still have to have some headphones around. I'm not precisely sure why. Maybe to have the music just a little more distant from my head.

Amazing meet, amazing people. I have to spend more time at the next one.

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #147 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by rangen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I foolishly listened to someones L3000s, hooked up to a Woo WA5 with carefully-selected tubes, including, if I heard right, "the real deal Western Electrics." Holy crap! The Hi-Fier who owned it heard me say "wow" as I took off the L3000s. I don't even want to think about what this implies. This is all above my pay grade. But what a sound!

Cheers....
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #148 of 154
Really sorry I missed this gathering! I live in San Francisco and just recently discovered Woo Audio. I've been reading everything I can find, and ready to make a purchase, but am a bit reluctant to make the decision without having heard any of them. Would really be great to hook up with some owners here in the Bay Area, for a cup of coffee and a friendly conversation regarding all things Woo!

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #150 of 154
Hey Marco,

If you're talking about the multi colored ones, they're a preamp kit from Bottlehead called the Quickie. Those particular ones had a headphone output mod which can be added for under $50. The kit is $100.

Here's a link to their forum where there's a few folks talking about that mod. You can find the order page on their web site which is linked at the top of the forum page.Bottlehead Forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back