NorCal 8/8/09 meet impressions
Aug 12, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #121 of 154
I was going to try it, but I never could find it during the times that listening to it was on my mind
frown.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #122 of 154
I'm always impressed with Frank Cooter's builds, and I've got a lot of respect for his process, he is clearly an artist. They are gorgeous from the outside, and the 3 amps I've heard of Frank's all sounded outstanding. The "super big one" that he brought to the last Norcal meet was without a doubt the best headphone amp I have ever heard. Honestly, from HD650 to K1000 to HP1000 to L3000, it not only beat everything else I've heard, but seemed to do so with every headphone we threw at it
eek.gif

I didn't get a chance to photograph your rig Frank, but let me know if you want some images of them, and maybe we can arrange something
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #125 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone test the JH13 universals or their customs with the TTVJ portable DAC/amp, by chance? I was pretty impressed with the device, but only tried full-sized.

I still have the TTVJ amp and will get JP to try it out with his.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #126 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone who listened to the JH13's at the meet would like the info for JHA's recommended audiologist in the bay area, just send me a PM.

And if you don't mind copy me as well. I will be getting these before too long

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #127 of 154
Great impressions! Every time I hear about the JH13's makes me wish that I had tried them at CanJam when I had the chance! At least my wallet will be happy for a while.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #128 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great impressions! Every time I hear about the JH13's makes me wish that I had tried them at CanJam when I had the chance! At least my wallet will be happy for a while.
ksc75smile.gif

Or just until you attend either CanJam @ RMAF or Can Jam Chicago! Once Jerry puts the demo JH13s in your ears resistance is futile

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #129 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or just until you attend either CanJam @ RMAF or Can Jam Chicago! Once Jerry puts the demo JH13s in your ears resistance is futile

Oh so true. I was floored by the level of improvement the JH13 demos made over my UE Tripple Fis, really stunning.

Thanks JP for coordinating a super meet just following a hugely successful National Meet and proceeding the October RMAF-CanJam Meet.
eek.gif
My nickname for you now on will be the Bill Graham of headphoneness.

Now, what ever happened to the great Alpha Dac/Amarra four/Metric Halo cage match smack down? I have read posts around and about where all the owners are very satisfied with their purchase, but we need a head to head shootout to help me determine my next purchase. Any impressions?

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #130 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will start a Jerry Harvey piggy bank now as I will definitely be at CanJam in Chicago. I wonder if I can get a discount since I have the same last name as Jerry.
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #131 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, what ever happened to the great Alpha Dac/Amarra four/Metric Halo cage match smack down? I have read posts around and about where all the owners are very satisfied with their purchase, but we need a head to head shootout to help me determine my next purchase. Any impressions?

As usual, I didn't have enough time, quiet and patience to sit and give even the Alpha DAC vs. Amarra 4 a thorough test, but what I heard confirmed that I like the Amarra 4 as much as or more than the Alpha DAC. I may be able to borrow the Alpha for a home test, which could include some speaker listening as well, so this may yet happen. As of now, I am not wishing that I could add the Alpha on top of the Amarra 4.

Mikeymad gave the thumbs up to the Amarra 4 after he did his comparison. Not sure where others came out, but he left me a note to that effect!
biggrin.gif

As for the Metric Halo and Sonic 302, we will have to work something out with JP and ironbut to make that happen. They were in the cool room while I sweated it out in the hot room. Oh well, best laid plans and all that.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #132 of 154
Just heard from Craig.. the BAs are all complete and packaging materials are obtained. He might be able to send Min and mine up with Min Sunday next week...

We should hold a little get together to celebrate. A source shootout plus BA inauguration?

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #133 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikeymad gave the thumbs up to the Amarra 4 after he did his comparison. Not sure where others came out, but he left me a note to that effect!
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
Yeah during the short session that I was suppose to be listening to the WES only, I could not resist toggling back and forth and giving the DAC's a try. It was pretty clear going back and forth, Amarra - more detail, better soundstage... WES/O2's were a good to resolve the differences.

Cheers,

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #135 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the Metric Halo and Sonic 302, we will have to work something out with JP and ironbut to make that happen. They were in the cool room while I sweated it out in the hot room. Oh well, best laid plans and all that.

My Metric Halo ULN-2 and the Sonic Studio 302 are both made by the same company. The hardware difference is just the label on the front. So really, the only differences in sound would just be from unit to unit parts/synergy (in other words, luck of the draw). Powering the unit, output cable (analog), and firewire configuration will have more effect than anything else.
I keep meaning to get inside and see if I can improve the analog in/out but it doesn't seem to be able to get off the back burner (although it's a lot closer than the bass traps that I've been meaning to build for over a year now!).

The Amarra is 24/192 capable and the 302 and ULN-2 (24/96) will take a back seat to it in ultimate fidelity. I'm not positive of all the analog improvements that's been made but they are numerous. The ULN-8 (hardware part of the Amarra) has found a home in many high end studios already and there's nothing better than using the same unit for end user listening that was used to produce the sessions in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back