NorCal 8/8/09 meet impressions
Aug 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #91 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the other stuff I had thoughts on. I didn't like the Grado HF-2 at all, I tried it off a few different rigs, and with so many RS-1's present, there is really no reason in my mind to opt for the HF-2, you are much better off going straight to the RS-1. The sound is just not right on the HF-2, it sounds way too unnatural, the vocals seem to jump out, and I had to frequently adjust volume on some of the songs. RS-1's on the other hand sounded very good, nice and refined, if I had to pick on anything I'd say I would like a bit more bass, but I think thats just personal preference more than anything else.

I did not like the HF2 either. I really liked the RS1, and I should have compared the newer and older versions when I had the chance. The GS1000 I did not get a good feel for because the room was particularly loud as I tried them on...

The hotel was nice and the rooms were not too expensive. Thank you JP for hosting the event.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #92 of 154
Awesome meet, probably my favorite meet so far. Thanks JP! You done good! I found myself trying to do a million things at once, and none of them very well. I listened to quite a few things, but missed a lot too, and felt to scattered to really lay into any one rig for very long. I usually wait till the end, and then just chill with one of the big boys, but didn't get to it this time. It was good to see fellow headphone addicts again. I'm always impressed by this crowd, you all are so in love with this stuff it's just great.

HD800
: I don't know, I wasn't that into it. It sounded like they designed it to sound (and look) impressive, and forgot that it also had to sound good. When I listened to it, I kept thinking "wow this is impressive" but I didn't really care, as it seemed to take all the emotion out of the music for me. There was too much emphasis in higher frequencies, and it cut out a lot of richness that should have been there. I was listening to the band Mono, which has a lot of crazy distorted guitar, recorded beautifully on tube equipment, and it should sound really rich, but with the HD800 it sounded more, um, shall we say more "solid state". It was also seriously lacking in bass, and I'm feeling that they did that to help give it that super clean sound, just like AKG did with the K4/5/6/701. I noticed though, that it sounded very different with different amps, moreso than I've ever noticed a headphone change. So I'm thinking with the right amp, I'd like it better. I think synergy is going to be much more important with the HD800 than just power, I'd put money down on it sounding better with certain portables than certain full power rigs. Impressive headphone though, and I actually thought it sounded like a perfected K701 in some ways.

Pico Slim: great synergy with the HF2, it seemed to work with it's strengths and against it's weaknesses. Hard to say more without a direct comparison to another portable.

Shure SRH840: I thought this phone sounded awesome for a closed phone. If I needed/wanted a closed phone, I'd get it for sure. It is one of the more balanced sounding phones out there, IMO, even amongst open phones. Everything sounded right, without sounding rolled off at all. If you like K501 bass, these aren't for you, but I didn't find the bass overbearing in my brief time with it, it didn't bleed into any of the other frequencies. I also thought they sounded very open for closed cans.

GMP 8.35
: really really really bright. I mean this thing was nothing but treble, and it was etched, and harsh. Worse than the first silver SR325, and had no bass. I guess the stock pads had a bit of cloth, that might tame the highs, but this was nothing that some speaker cloth was going to fix. Can't believe people like these.

Pioneer Monitor 10: I thought these sounded decent. Clean sound, not much sound stage, pretty closed in. They sounded fairly neutral, but cold in tone, and not really any bass to speak of. They fit in an interesting way, the pads were unlike any pads I've seen on any other can, seemed like they were trying to make a circumaural with as little air volume as possible, probably to help with bass. They look absolutely awesome.

Ironbut's tape and HEaudio stat rig: This is one of the best rigs I have heard. It was just fantastic. I really wish I could hear this in a quiet setting. Iron, if you ever need someone to come over and keep your reel to reel company for a couple hours, please let me know
biggrin.gif
There was a classical recording reeled up, and I must say that it was the best I have ever heard classical music, I don't think any concert hall anywhere could create such an experience. It was both bright and warm, lush, but alive, light and nimble, but with body and texture. The brass horns would come in so rich, but that brassy texture so clean and transparent, and then little bells twinkling with complete delicacy. Wow. Nice one.

Fallenangel's rig was awseome I wish I could have spent more time with it. He's got a great collection of cans, you can tell he's put a lot of effort into the collection, not to mention his amps! I wish I would have spent some time with the HP2 and the melos, but there were so many new toys to play with.

Audeze LCD-1: This headphone ate up a lot of my time, because I really wanted it to be the best thing in the world. And partly it was, the delicate, nimble detail of Iron but's rig, but the weight and dynamic sound of...dynamics. But I couldn't help but feel there was a diffused sound to them, kind of mushy. Gotta listen more, but I do have high hopes for Audeze. We're going to be hearing a lot about them in the future
wink.gif

JH13pro: This was definitely the best IEM I've ever heard (but it's also the only IEM I've ever heard, I have a weird fear of puting things into my ears that I pushed through to feel the glory
biggrin.gif
) It was also one of the best headphones I've heard. I think they may take the throne with the HP1000 as the most natural sounding headphones. That says a lot, because I have never found something come close to the Joe Grado magic before. These things were really natural, and didn't sound warm or bassy to get there. Some instruments were warm, some were crisp, everything well defined. Bass was amazing, I heard subtle bass tones coming up underneath me that I never heard in songs. And this was straight out of my ipod, I didn't even bother with an amp. This being said, they were kind of annoying being IEM's, something about the sound going right into your ear doesn't sound quite as good as full sized headphones. But I bet the customs make that better.

I think it's time for me to try Sennheisers again. I listened to a pair at the meet, and wasn't boared by them like I usually am. I think it's time to find a pair for a THIRD time! Anyone not using their HD600 want to loan it to me for a bit?
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #93 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anymore info/opinions on Eddie Current - esp. BA and that new phonostage

I haven't had the time or the strength to do up my show impressions and I did not take any pictures at all, but Craig's table was very impressive indeed:

*The new Laconic $500 (pretty sure that is the price he mentioned) is a great sounding tube amp at a fantastic price. It was completely quiet at zero volume with HD800s and with AD2000s. It has a nice sound signature and is VERY good for the money. I would think this amp will do very well at that price point, or even the $600 that JP mentioned before.

*The Balancing Act and the TTVJ 307A are the top tube amps in production in my opinion. The BA has an effortless way of reproducing extraordinary music on every headphone I have tried it with. The BA has a wonderful body and richness to it without sounding syrupy or any of the other words that people use for tube amps that have a lot of body. The low end was incredible. It made the HD800s sound amazing, and I handed them over to ironbut and said he should give a listen to the cans that many people say have lacking low end. He agreed that such a statement is nuts. The AD2K always sound great from the BA, and still did, but comparing back and forth with the HD800 the A-Ts sounded thin and bright relative to the Senns. I also tried a test at Craig's suggestion with my balanced HD800s plugged in. I plugged in a 1/4 jack, which unbalances the balanced output, and and went back and forth a few times to see if balancing makes a big difference. It is there, but it is not as huge a difference on the BA as it is with HD650s. I will try comparing with my SDS-XLR (which I can do only because my hero ironbut resurrected it!), but it was interesting.

*Eddie Current phono stage (name?). This was still a prototype model in an unfinished case, so Craig had it hiding under the tablecloth. Anyway, it should have been in a spotlight because this is a killer phono stage. It is clear and clean and has tons of body. When coupled with the BA it was practically visceral. As JP pointed out, it is pretty amazing how good the decent but humble TT/cartridge combo sounded. Craig is trying to decide some things about the final version's power supply but the price range is supposed to be something between $900-1200.

*The ZDT got the least attention because JP is borrowing it and I plan to get more listening time later. It sounded good, but I mostly heard the Audeze orthos on it with music that was not well suited to the cans and was a bit boring. I wanted to try the Audeze again with some fast rocking stuff and that didn't happen. The ZDT seems like a winner for all types of cans as well, but the BA is a strong preference for me at least on the short listen.

So, Justin said I was the biggest shill at the meet (other than himself and the other MOTs, I assume
wink.gif
), because I had the Woo Audio WES prototype on loan from Jack, the TTVJ portable amp/dac on loan from Todd, the Berkeley Audio Alpha Dac on loan from dealer Tim Marutani, and my own Amarra software/Model 4 hardware combo with, again, Amarra dealer Tim Marutani present to discuss it. Now I personally see it as providing a valuable service to the community by getting some cool new products to the meet, but to each his own!
icon10.gif
I guess I am a terrible shill anyway because I just went on so much about Eddie Current that I don't have time to do any more gear impressions at the moment. Suffice to say that the WES is a great new entrant in the stats world, the TTVJ portable is cutting edge and sounds great, the Alpha DAC is wonderful (even though I am happy to find I like the Amarra Model 4 at least as much), and that anyone who is serious about computer audio should invest in Amarra software. More later.

Great meet JP and Bay Area Head-Fiers! It was good stuff to branch out and have Doc B at the meet. It was good meeting you and chatting, Dan, and I am glad some of your forum folks crossed over with you!

One more thing I forgot from the quickie impressions post. Now I have to buy the damn JH13s because even the universal fit demo pair sounds wonderful. Oh well, resistance is futile.
tongue.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #94 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Increasingly at meets I seem to be visiting more and listening to gear less.

Tell me about it, eh?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most enjoyed the HE-Audio, but great to hear how the Lambdas scaled. Missed the O1 as it was moving around. Hoping for more than the O2.

Be sure to get over to Al's and listen to them. The O1 is a legend for a reason. Al was super-generous to let everyone have a run at his extremely rare and fragile uberphones.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #95 of 154
I'm sure Ric will be over for a listen, and if he is fast he can hear the BH | WES | 007t | SRD-7 Pro comparison!
eek.gif
And a SRM-T1W will be arriving soon too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #96 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif

JH13pro: This was definitely the best IEM I've ever heard (but it's also the only IEM I've ever heard, I have a weird fear of puting things into my ears that I pushed through to feel the glory
biggrin.gif
) It was also one of the best headphones I've heard.......

Glad you pushed your boundaries, and gave them a try.. I agree, they sounded really good. I have to look into getting my molds made... then I would have to decide the level of craziness I want to play at... 5,7,10,10x,11,13.. and there really isn't a 'used' pair of these... unless they do re-moldings..

Cheers,

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #97 of 154
I was curious if anyone got a chance to listen to the hd800 out of the gigantasaur custom amp in the bottlehead section? What were your thoughts?

Either way it was great seeing everyone again. I definitely spent more time talking than I did listening but I did get a chance to hear most of the gear I was curious about.

Below are my completely biased impressions under horrible meet conditions for those that care about subjective analysis.

The hd800 cured me of my long standing desire to own electrostats. My little rig was set up next to an omega II + bhse combo. The only significant comparison I did was to sit down and listen between that and a pair of hd800 powered by my m3+s11 amplifier, both using the pico as a source, and I would have to say that I preferred the sennheiser. However, if someone offered me the choice between the hd800 or an omega + bhse combo, I would take the omega and bhse combo; if for no other reason than to try and use the amp to convince the ladies that I was batman, and it happened to be the only piece of tech that I let the public see.

I really liked the shure 840 headphone for what it was... a sony v6 without the v. (curve)

The denon 5k is not the most refined or balanced of headphones, but man is the markl modded denon a huge step in the wrong direction.

I want a gilmore lite. Plug a pico dac in the back using a pair of rca couplers and you have a covert high quality rig that's completely transportable.

I am bringing a wheelbarrow to the next nor-cal meet I go to and the second amb takes his eyes of his b24, you will never see me or the amp again.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #98 of 154
Hey folks,

I could only make it for the first couple hours so I missed out on linuxworks' stuff and the JH13's as well. Here's what I did get a chance to hear though:

1. Really enjoyed the HD800's although I'm not sure I would spend the extra cash compared to my HD650's. They were more comfy to me and seemed more smooth/refined, but again, maybe not worth the money compared to my HD650's. Maybe that just means my ears aren't golden enough.

2. Fallenangels' balanced B22 rig through my reterminated HD650's sounded great! I'm still working on finishing mine up so I'm hoping it turns out as well as his.

3. I thought the K1000's were good, but probably didn't spend enough time with them to really appreciate them. I wasn't blown away though. Maybe I just needed more time to get used to the "ear speaker" concept.

3. I listened to some of the Stax phones but not the O1. In general, I was impressed, but felt like the bass presence wasn't quite there for my personal preferences.

4. Really enjoyed the DNA balanced amp and the Neko DAC as well.

5. Finally met Ti/Amb for the first time! I feel like I already know him through all his contributions here plus the fact that I've bought most of what he offers by now! Seeing the B24 live was perhaps the last bit of motivation I needed to finally pull the trigger on that build. We'll see...

Thanks JP for all your work against this event! Looking forward to the next one!

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #99 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks,

I could only make it for the first couple hours so I missed out on linuxworks' stuff and the JH13's as well.

I think my table was not organized well. nothing was labeled and nothing had instructions on it (and things *needed* instructions).

as such, my table didn't get a lot of traffic. I guess I'll try to fix that for next time.

or, maybe the 'very DIY' nature of my stuff just isn't as interesting as huge voltage tube gear that seemed to totally dominate the meet.

I'll try to do a better presentation next time. this was my first, so it was a big learning experience for me
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #101 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not like the HF2 either. I really liked the RS1, and I should have compared the newer and older versions when I had the chance. The GS1000 I did not get a good feel for because the room was particularly loud as I tried them on...

The hotel was nice and the rooms were not too expensive. Thank you JP for hosting the event.

I haven't received my HF-2's yet, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to wish I'd gone for the RS-1. Ironically, an RS-1 would've been significantly *less* expensive for me, too.

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #102 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you just need spinning lights like bigguy had
tongue.gif

or the chocolate dipped marshmallows... ooooo....

I was glad that I got to spend some time with your experiments Linux', some fun stuff.... but you are correct, you cannot really just walk away from it, expecting people to figure it all out.....
smile.gif

Cheers,

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #103 of 154
linuxworks - I know you're working on it, but I think a bunch of people, myself included, are waiting for the linuxworks web site where we can replicate all the cool stuff you've developed.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #104 of 154
a few more thoughts on the meet

Frank Cooter's amp area was awesome as always. Both amps sounded good but the larger one really shined and sounded great. Frank has a great ear for amp design and maybe a better aesthetic eye for casework. His amps are works of art second in my mind to only the Moth builds like the original Zana or Sphynx .

I was totally dissapointed I did not take the pepsi challenge and hear the Berkeley Alpha dac matched up against the Amarra 4. At the end of the day the Alpha is not an easy fit to my rig given the firewire/mac set up with the amarra/metric halo units.

Also big thanks to atothex for bringing a monitor without which I would have been dead in the water.

lastly the MOTs all stepped up and help off set costs of hosting the meet and should be recognized in words but more importantly in real dollars. So if you need something think about the folks that help make these meets happen.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #105 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note for JP: The Gilmore Lite you tried was on my rig, the USB to optical used was a TBAAM which is a bit perfect optical out (C-Media), so I don't think there wouldve been any effect on sound due to that. If anything it wouldve been because of the Glite or its PSU (Elpac).

if you had the elpac I have heard good things about that, my thoughts were based on several usb to spidf convertors that I have tried that all completely killed the sonics of my rigs when I was using conventional dacs. To date I have not tried a usb to anything convertor that did not create a haze over the music and dampen dynamics but thats just me. Have you tried a different source to your dac other than your laptop to see if the turtle beach product had any sonic imprint?

I loved your music on your hard drive great stuff!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back