Norah Jones - Feels Like Home
Feb 18, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 12
I don't have any luck with amazon. Me and windows media don't get along. Same for real networks.

Too bad really. I would like to listen to things in .rm and .wmv but I don't think I can get the codecs without installing the bloatware / spyware. Or can I?

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 12
Feb 18, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 12
While Come Away With Me was a much stronger album, Feels Like Home is a solid album that is certainly enjoyable. I'd say the recording is marginally better than Come Away With Me.

Feb 18, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I'd say the recording is marginally better than Come Away With Me.

So instead of going deaf when listening to it you will just loose all your hair?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 12
Come Away With Me was great but I barely listen to Feels Like Home at all. She took a direction that is simply not my cup of tea. Even her collaboration with Peter Malick Group on New York City is more to my liking although not a great record by all means either.

Feb 18, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 12
There are a couple really enjoyable tracks on Feels Like Home. It's not as solid an entire album as Come Away With Me, but if you like Norah you'll probably enjoy the second album. It is a little uptempo (just a bit), but it is still Norah. She hasn't wandered off into "show jazz" like Katie Melua does sometimes or Diana Krall always does, which to me is a good thing. For $9 Canadian I'd definitely say pick it up.

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 12
I'd have to say Feels Like Home is a more sophisticated album that Come Away With Me. Come Away With Me is a very nice album, but IMO, is a bit simplistic. In Feels Like Home, Jones digs much deeper into her country/bluegrass roots and reveals her ability to shine in those genres.

Even though Jones is on Blue Note, I'm not sure why people expect her to be a jazz singer. IMO, it has aways been pretty clear that she is a blues/country/bluegrass singer. I really enjoy her music and hope she continues to sing and play the blues in her soul.

As for recording quality... Norah needs to work on that.

Feb 18, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Come Away With Me was great but I barely listen to Feels Like Home at all. She took a direction that is simply not my cup of tea. Even her collaboration with Peter Malick Group on New York City is more to my liking although not a great record by all means either.

I too was very disappointed with Feels Like Home initially. After the first listen, I put it away for several months. But I like it a lot now for its merits and actually listen to it more than Come Away With Me. It certainly is a different album, so as long as you're not expecting something along the lines of Come Away With Me, you'll probably like it if you like Norah Jones.

I think her collaboration with Peter Malick Group is a little closer to the style (jazzy, bluesy) you get with Come Away With Me than Feels Like Home.

I like 'em all. I'm a Norah Jones fanboy.

Feb 18, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
Thinking of picking it up at futureshop for $9

Is YourMusic.com not available in Canada?

Feb 18, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 12
I wish

Unfortuneately it is not. I have asked them about it once. Perhaps if we keep pesting them and threaten to sick some beavers on them they will come around.
biggrin.gif

BTW

I ended up buying the CD it is pretty good, there are very enjoyable songs. Don't think it will get much playtime on my headphone rig though. Audio quality seems pretty weak for a vocal centric CD. Many of my other CD's blow it away in the vocals department; Air - 'Moon Safari' and Velvet Underground - 'Velvet Underground' are two that come to mind. Haven't had a chance to give it a focused listen on either the hi-end or low-end systems but I think it will end up mostly as quiet background/dinner music, which isn't necessarily bad.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back