norah jones - come away with me CD, distortion during Don't Know Why
Apr 25, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 28
Oct 9, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #17 of 28
It's disgusting what they did on the SACD version. But I don't think anything could ever fix the distortion, certainly not extra bits, and I'm not even sure mastering would do it. This album makes me want to cringe sometimes. The distortion and clipping from her voice and piano (two otherwise beautifully dynamic instruments) are embedded in the original recording and won't go away. It's hard to believe you can be showered in grammys for this kind of shoddy production work. Artistic intent is not everything. You need to deliver. The album would be great otherwise, I think she should actually re-record it with competent producers.  

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 28
  It's disgusting what they did on the SACD version. But I don't think anything could ever fix the distortion, certainly not extra bits, and I'm not even sure mastering would do it. This album makes me want to cringe sometimes. The distortion and clipping from her voice and piano (two otherwise beautifully dynamic instruments) are embedded in the original recording and won't go away. It's hard to believe you can be showered in grammys for this kind of shoddy production work. Artistic intent is not everything. You need to deliver. The album would be great otherwise, I think she should actually re-record it with competent producers.  

Yes, it's disgusting. Mastering and careful restoration can fix it though. I have a full non-distorted version of the album. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #19 of 28
This is one of my favorite CDs of all time. I have listened to it hundreds of times on my full size setup. I read this thread and decided to play it on my 5.5 gen ipod out to ATHM50X 'phones. Oh my...thanks for ruining this for me head-fi!  LOL! 
triportsad.gif

I suppose this distortion just isn't as audible on a full size system, but on headphones, it is clearly mastered way too loud. The distortion is such that it sounds like it's killing the drivers in my M50X's!!! 
blink.gif

Content wise, this is a GREAT record IMO, but I have a love for all things Norah...

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #20 of 28
I realize this is a bit of an older thread, but I just found it and feel a bit justified.  

Backstory:  A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to start converting my library over from really poor quality MP3s (ripped from CDs before I knew any better) to lossless (FLAC).  I had just gotten this CD converted and was all excited to listen to it in it's lossless splendor, on my newer and higher quality headphones.  I was so disappointed when I heard all the noise and what sounded like static.  This was about the 50th CD I'd re-ripped and I was worried that all my hard work was ruined because of something with my computer's CD drive, my software or my settings.  I tried re-ripping it on other computers.  Listening with different headphones.  Everything I could think of.

Finally, I decided to listen to some of the other tracks I'd re-ripped and realized that they sounded good (to me), but the lingering doubt that I just couldn't hear the imperfections.

So it's not just me.  My setup is working fine and apparently my ears are just now hearing Norah for the first time in all her poorly recorded glory.  I'll sleep better tonight!

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #21 of 28
  I realize this is a bit of an older thread, but I just found it and feel a bit justified.  

Backstory:  A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to start converting my library over from really poor quality MP3s (ripped from CDs before I knew any better) to lossless (FLAC).  I had just gotten this CD converted and was all excited to listen to it in it's lossless splendor, on my newer and higher quality headphones.  I was so disappointed when I heard all the noise and what sounded like static.  This was about the 50th CD I'd re-ripped and I was worried that all my hard work was ruined because of something with my computer's CD drive, my software or my settings.  I tried re-ripping it on other computers.  Listening with different headphones.  Everything I could think of.

Finally, I decided to listen to some of the other tracks I'd re-ripped and realized that they sounded good (to me), but the lingering doubt that I just couldn't hear the imperfections.

So it's not just me.  My setup is working fine and apparently my ears are just now hearing Norah for the first time in all her poorly recorded glory.  I'll sleep better tonight!

You mentioned bumping this old thread and, now it's my turn.

I have been listening to a lot of CDs more carefully ever since I have better equipment now.  One of my favorite CDs (used to), was "Feels Like Home" by Norah Jones.  I keep hearing distortion or clipping, muffled bass when there is too much going on in the music on this CD.  First I thought it was my headphones or setup but I've tried my Magni 2 and Little Dot MKii with different headphones, DT880, HD600, Ultrasone 900 Pro......still hearing the same distortion.

I've read in another forum that people think it's the copy protection on this particular CD.  Out of curiosity, I went on Spotify and streamed the album with the highest setting, MOST of the distortions went away.  But not all.

I am also hearing a bit of distortion on some of Jack Johnson's songs, particularly "Breakdown".

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #23 of 28
  Most of this is because the companies making the music-media is trying to make their music stand out, be loud as possible.
So they boost the volume on the media, in mixing, thus also raise the top volume above the possible loudest level the media can carry.
Named "the Loudness War" !
And you get distortions that is easily recognizable when played through detailed speakers or headphones.
If you use "very forgiving" headphones, this is more hidden, also many other details.
Try Sennheiser HD600.
Listen to the last CD from David Bowie, or "25" from Adele through good IEMs.
Really bad sound many places through the album.
And there is nothing you can do about it!

This is very sad really.  I mean, we spend all this money on fancy equipment so that we can hear the distortions better. 

There is a downside to better equipment afterall. 

May 2, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #26 of 28
20 years later they've released an another recording session of "Don't know why" with a better setup vocal mic feed volume.

Now we can all listen to the studio version of this track, without that distortion, the vocal clarity made the "you'll be on my mind" hit differently.

Check out "Don't know why - First session demo" from Come Away With Me (Super Deluxe Version)

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #28 of 28
20 years later they've released an another recording session of "Don't know why" with a better setup vocal mic feed volume.

Now we can all listen to the studio version of this track, without that distortion, the vocal clarity made the "you'll be on my mind" hit differently.

Check out "Don't know why - First session demo" from Come Away With Me (Super Deluxe Version)
Its still there, at 1:14 "You'll be on my mind".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back