Noontec Zoro
May 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #136 of 160
I know that these headphones are famous for their value and obvious visual similarity to Beats but how do they compare to more expensive portables?

More specifically, how are these sonically different from the V-Moda M-80s?

May 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #137 of 160
Damn... $55 and a detachable cable and phone controls? And it steps all over Beats? (I understand that isn't hard to do...)

I like the red ones.

May 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #138 of 160
I know that these headphones are famous for their value and obvious visual similarity to Beats but how do they compare to more expensive portables?

More specifically, how are these sonically different from the V-Moda M-80s?

I've had both the Zoros and the M80s, and ended up selling the latter. The m80s have a very forward midrange and a sort of "in your face" sound, while the Zoros have a surprisingly neutral signature with decent bass and good mids. They do have a weird roll off in the treble that makes certain instruments sound a little muffled. Build quality on the Zoros is decent, but the M80s feel much sturdier.

The main reason I kept the Zoros and sold the M80s is that the latter were so uncomfortable that I couldn't stand keeping them on for more than 30 minutes at a time, and I have a fairly average-sized head. The Zoros are relatively comfortable, on the other hand, and the fit is much better as well.

Bottom line: the M80s are fantastic headphones, and definitely better than the Zoros in terms of sound quality. Having said that, they cost at least twice as much, and the comfort issues are a real bummer. I'd recommend getting then Zoros while Woot still has them for $45($55 for the HDs, which I haven't heard) because at that price the level of sound qualify you're getting is phenomenal.

May 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #139 of 160
Quote:
I've had both the Zoros and the M80s, and ended up selling the latter. The m80s have a very forward midrange and a sort of "in your face" sound, while the Zoros have a surprisingly neutral signature with decent bass and good mids. They do have a weird roll off in the treble that makes certain instruments sound a little muffled. Build quality on the Zoros is decent, but the M80s feel much sturdier.

The main reason I kept the Zoros and sold the M80s is that the latter were so uncomfortable that I couldn't stand keeping them on for more than 30 minutes at a time, and I have a fairly average-sized head. The Zoros are relatively comfortable, on the other hand, and the fit is much better as well.

Bottom line: the M80s are fantastic headphones, and definitely better than the Zoros in terms of sound quality. Having said that, they cost at least twice as much, and the comfort issues are a real bummer. I'd recommend getting then Zoros while Woot still has them for $45($55 for the HDs, which I haven't heard) because at that price the level of sound qualify you're getting is phenomenal.

Very well put, Crow T Robot. That was almost the exact description that I was looking for. I am always interested in how lower price headphones compare to directly to more expensive ones and was really interested in these. 

That said, considering that my M-80s are no longer uncomfortable, give me a reason to get the Zoros!! 
tongue_smile.gif
 Is there any part of the sonic presentation that they trump the M-80s?

May 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #140 of 160
Very well put, Crow T Robot. That was almost the exact description that I was looking for. I am always interested in how lower price headphones compare to directly to more expensive ones and was really interested in these. 

That said, considering that my M-80s are no longer uncomfortable, give me a reason to get the Zoros!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Is there any part of the sonic presentation that they trump the M-80s?

If the Zoros trump the M80s in any way, it'd be that the midrange is smoother and slightly less grainy on the Zoros. Bass extension also seemed better to my ears. They aren't basshead cans by any stretch, but they have a good amount of weight when called for.

May 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #143 of 160
Quote:

In the CNET article, it says that they have a better seal, so more noise isolation, than the originals, but I don't really know what that even means in practice......like how much does it actually block....?

I just got hold of a HD version after some wait. Though it shares the same semi-closed back architecture design as that of m80, the pressure equalization channels are significantly more. A number of images will follow in some time. This may help to explain why sound leakage is far more serious than m80. Hence, noise isolation probably is not a sure bet.

In terms of sound quality, its bass is nowhere close to m80 while mids outshines m80. Treblewise, it also outnumbers m80, but sounds a bit piercing.

May 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #144 of 160
Quote:
I just got hold of a HD version after some wait. Though it shares the same semi-closed back architecture design as that of m80, the pressure equalization channels are significantly more. A number of images will follow in some time. This may help to explain why sound leakage is far more serious than m80. Hence, noise isolation probably is not a sure bet.

In terms of sound quality, its bass is nowhere close to m80 while mids outshines m80. Treblewise, it also outnumbers m80, but sounds a bit piercing.

i think you might need to burn them in for a bit, even though the graph ( at least for the original noontecs are sharp near the top end of the treble) i found it okay ( i found 1 song it kinda hurt my ears) but otherwise its great!

i'm surprised the mids of on the hd noontecs are better than the m80s, as well as the bass being behind m80s. do you mean the mid bass hump? or you mean the bass extends farther for the m-80s.

i personally love the bass on the noontecs (originals, mind you) i think their phenomenal! the mids i think are laid back, its great for relaxing and listening with) i'd prefer a bit more aggressive mids but i guess that would lead to ear fatigue sooo i won't be too harsh on that

the trebles like i said i think are harsh only on that 1 song but otherwise i never really noticed it as being harsh. i thought it was laidback as well most of the time, however its not really as sparkly as i like( like i said above laid back= less ear fatigue)

if i could try the m80s i would definately love to! but would i drop 130- 200 when i haven't demoed it! nope unless my noontecs break (one of the sides you see 2 hairline cracks, very minor but if you put it under a magnifying glass or look really close , you'll see it

i wouldn't drop the 130-200 unless i really do prefer the sound of the m80 over the noontecs that i already bought (which requires demoing, which is hard in toronto canada) 

We are m-80 free here up above the border!!!! 

May 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #145 of 160
Just got a pair of the HD's in. Sound profile is pretty good. Soundstage is pretty good and the sound profile is fairly neutral with a decent bass thump. I posted some pics on our website if you guys want to take a look www.cloudapro.com

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #148 of 160
some pics to share with you guys

Their booth

What's inside

The structure and the contour of its hinge are the same as Beats Solo’s, but only of plastic making.

Leather on the ear pad is a lot thinner than that of Solo.

Upon removal of the ear pad are a great deal of pressure equalization holes on the driver plate disguised by a damper paper.

After lifting off the damper paper, there are clearly more openings than that of m80.

Myriad of pressure equalization holes now comes in sight. I wonder what to expect if opening some of them?

There is also a good number of openings on the ear cup. Deductively, sound leakage may be quite problematic.

Wall thickness of the ear cup only stands 1.9mm.

There are relatively more openings on the driver too. What do you guys think about it?

Size of the magnet on the driver is a lot smaller than m80’s.

Here are images of m80 for reference.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #149 of 160
Just took delivery of my noontec zoro hd's. Initial impressions are good. IMO, there's just enough bass. Nowhere near the overpowering thump you get with solo hd's  
basshead.gif
 However, i'll be doing most of my listening on my nokia n8 and so far, unless i use the bass booster preset EQ there is just a bit too much treble. However on my computer and mp3 player, this is not an issue as i have custom EQs on there and can sort the issue out using that. Overall very happy so far.
bigsmile_face.gif
 they look and sound great. the earcups are not as comfy as the solo's and will take some getting used to but they're not bad at this price. Let me reiterate what others have said on this thread; if you're looking for a bass heavy pair of cans, this pair ain't for you. if you want more natural sound than solo hd's then i say go for it. at this price, you'll be glad you did.
biggrin.gif
 Will post an update later on about portability, strength etc.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #150 of 160
Can someone explain how to remove earpads from the Noontec Zoro HD. I've just received mine, and i have a problem with rattling sounds in the left cup, when i play something with a little bass... Really sucks, cuz other than that i think they're awesome. Maybe it's just something loose in the cup i can fix myself. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back