Noobie Help: Which Headphones for dance music ???
Sep 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

deeman72

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Please can someone recommend me a pair of headphones that compliment dance music and are good for bass?

I will be using them on the pc via a usb amplifier.

Budget is no more than £150.

TIA

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 31
I have been told time and time again, m-100, i cant say for sure, but all the research i have done keeps pointing to them, mine are ordered and should get this friday, i cant wait, seeing that i am a huge basshead, and alix perez is gonna be what i listen to first

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 31
cheers mate.

i keep looking at the Audio Technica M50's but keep getting conflicting stories??

Or the AT 700 MK2 Pro's but keep reading about being a tight fit ??

Your views please :)

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 31
If you want bass forget about the pro700mk2 and the m50s. They will not compliment the type of music you listen to. Even with an amplifier they wont produce the level of bass your music needs to sound complete. 

Consider the M-Audio Q-40s at $99. They have tons of bass but it doesnt compromise the mids or highs. 

My  only con
-practically no soundstage (no sense that your music surrounds you) 

Other things you might consider cons is the vocals sound a little muffled but improves with use. Sound leaks a little bit. Pads might be shallow or uncomfortable (if so buy the dt 770 pro pleather pads at $34 at amazon). Big (about size of the pro700mk2). They come with a long-ass 9ft cable. They need an EQ/AMP bass boost to make the bass really shine. 

Initially they are tight but its nothing a little continuous stretch (not by hand) cant fix. 

get them here -  http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileQ40.html

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 31
I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD 428. I have been very impressed with them. $50 US, so I'm sure you can get them for that in the UK. Not sure what you would get by spending more, at least to start with. Good highs, mids, and clean bass.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 31
the dt 770s require bass boosting, but bass boosting those will cause distortion on some songs. 

If you only listen to dance and all that electronic music, and the q-40s dont interest you, another pair of headphones to consider are the V-Moda LP2s $160. The V-Moda LP2s are a step above the V-Moda LP1s and one step below the V-moda m100. These all emphasize bass but the m100s are the most balanced (which means less bass), the LP1s have the most bass, and the lp2s are right in between but leaning more towards the lp1s but have a cleaner sound. The only con is major sound leakage. The comfort isnt the greatest but not the worst.

I just got my Audio technica ws99s less than 2 hours ago, and im love. They are the most well rounded headphones ive ever tried. I will be using those for everything, from dance to rock to hip-hop. im using those with a fiio e11 amp and i have the bass boost setting on 2 with the eq on my phone set to "dance" and they really sound a little above decent with dance and hip-hop (sounds really close to the q-40s bass with a wonderful soundstage). if im listening to rock i just put the eq to "flat" and leave the bass setting to 2 on my amp. Get these if you listen to various genres but you will need aggressive EQing to make them sound great with dance and hip hop if none of your EQ presets work for you

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 31
I have been told time and time again, m-100, i cant say for sure, but all the research i have done keeps pointing to them, mine are ordered and should get this friday, i cant wait, seeing that i am a huge basshead, and alix perez is gonna be what i listen to first

Pro 900 kills the m-100. I've had them both. The m-100 had very tamed treble, which I disliked. The pro-900 puts out much more treble energy, and combined with the awesome bass, kills for EDM.

I wrote a review on Amazon for them, I think the M-100 is overrated.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 31
thanks for all your comments :)

it seems that (like everything) there are pros and cons for all headphones.
i have read more good than bad when it comes to the bayerdynamic dt990 pros.250 ohm
i am really tempted by them although i am put off a little by the cosmetics of them. i think they look like the back end of a big momma!

i will be pairing them up with the fiio e10.

are there any others i can consider for the same budget beforee i go for the 990's ???

cheers

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 31
  thanks for all your comments :)

it seems that (like everything) there are pros and cons for all headphones.
i have read more good than bad when it comes to the bayerdynamic dt990 pros.250 ohm
i am really tempted by them although i am put off a little by the cosmetics of them. i think they look like the back end of a big momma!

i will be pairing them up with the fiio e10.

are there any others i can consider for the same budget beforee i go for the 990's ???

cheers

Beyer had a very open soundstage, very detailed! Treble, for me, though was super sharp and piercing. It sounded as if someone scooped out the midrange too. 990 has mostly highs and lows and a dipped down midrange. I think, for the price though, they aren't that bad. Could do worse. They are super super comfortable too.

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 31
im a former DJ,and although I dont listen to a ton of EDM,I do like dark trance...here is something to consider...

A lot of "dance music" techno/trance/house/drum and bass etc... has many other facets other than a constant sub bass thump.I have found that when listening to EDM thru BASS heavy headphones that it was nearly impossible to turn up the volume loud enough to hear the synths/vocals etc because the sub bass was so overpowering...

That being said I prefer a neutral headphone for EDM,which will deliver the bass that is there in the original recording w/o artificially pumping it up.It makes the other parts of the music enjoyable too w/o it being drowned out by 130 bpm of mega-thump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back