Noob with 250$ needs advice.
Feb 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bogatyr

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings, my budget is 200-300$ and I mostly use AKG Q701 on my computer for music, games, and movies. What would be the smartest thing to do in my position on my budget? I've done some research but only ended up with more questions than answers.

My current sound card is Xonar DG which is not bad considering it cost only 20$ but I feel like I'm not getting the most out of my headphones. DG adds some noise to the front panel jack however I do find the volume levels on it adequate at 32-62 ohm settings with volume level at 25/100 on Windows 7.

I've considered the following:

1. Get an external DAC & AMP such as HRT Streamer 2 DAC + Objective 2 Amp. Or Fiio E7/10/17 + Fiio E9
    ir

1. Get a sound card such as:
    HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

1. Get a Dac&Amp 2in1 such as NFB-12 HUD-MX1 AUNE  Fiio E10
    ir
    , I saw plenty more but I have no idea what makes one better than the other. AKG Q701 are 62ohms but people keep suggesting that it is hard to drive and I should be using some sort of amp to power them.

1. Go with something else that I have not yet mentioned.

I just want to get the best performance for buck ratio on my investment. I don't like loud volume so would rather prefer quality over quantity.

Thanks in advance, once again I'm not an expert and looking forward to reading suggestions and opinions.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 9
I would go for one of the sound cards personally. Gives you more options down the road. Both have Dolby Headphone and use mostly the same chips. I bought the Xonar because more retailers carry it and you can find it cheaper. Keep in mind the Xonar STX is PCI Express and the Claro Halo is PCI.

You can also upgrade the OP-Amps later if you want to change the sound a bit. Just do a search online and you will find them.

*I am assuming you use your desktop mainly for music and don't need the portability of a DAC and Headphone AMP. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm sitting in front of a computer that has a Xonar DG, my home computer uses the Essence STX ( 3 LME49860NA op-amps).
Both cards are also most the same when it comes to gaming and movie features, the DG does 5.1 surround sound, the STX does 7.1 surround sound
The Essence STX also has full support for Blu-ray audio.

I'd say get the O2 (Objective 2) amp. and plug it into the DG.
I think the O2 can provide a cleaner signal, being a simple design and outside the computer case (where electrical noise can affect analog audio signals)
Also the O2 can easily be used with a lot more stuff and it's transportable.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for replies. To be honest I don't really care that much for the virtual 5.1 or 7.1. In regards to STX & Op Amps, what exactly do they do? Where do you get them, for how much, and how hard are they to swap?

If I get O2 I'm more likely to get a usb dac with it as well and leave Xonar DG to be hooked up to my speakers and use DAC + O2 setup for my headphones.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for replies. To be honest I don't really care that much for the virtual 5.1 or 7.1. In regards to STX & Op Amps, what exactly do they do? Where do you get them, for how much, and how hard are they to swap?
If I get O2 I'm more likely to get a usb dac with it as well and leave Xonar DG to be hooked up to my speakers and use DAC + O2 setup for my headphones.

Op-amps (operational amplifiers) change the "color" of the sound, changes bass, treble ,vocals, sound stage, etc.
Think of it more as Art, then logical improvement.
The Essence has 3 replaceable op-amps in 3 dual channel DIP-8 sockets
You would need a small Philips head screw driver to remove the 4 screws to get at the op-amps and a small flat head screwdriver to remove the op-amps themselves.

I replaced my 3 op-amps for $15 (LME49860NA),
you can get six LME49990NAs (SOIC, single channel, pre-mounted in pairs) for $55.50 Ebay, USA), that's about $37 (USA) just in parts if you wanted to solder them yourself on to the SOIC to DIP-8 adapters.
you can get six AD797 op-amps (SOIC, single channel pre-mounted in pairs) for $25, but that ships from China, which is where fake stuff comes from, $58 in just parts from USA suppliers.

A  new version of the O2 is coming out in maybe a month?
The Music Streamer II DAC is $150

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 9
How is the DAC of the DG Purple Angel? Good enough, most would say that should be upgraded but as you have it..what do you think?

isn't the update to teh O2..not an update but an amp and DAC combo..which means it's going to be more expensive?probably $250 instead of $150 from JDlabs?

plz note the E17 isn't for everyone. it's not the smartest single bigest improvement out there in the price range. it's just the device that does everything for the price range. it may not do some things as good as other more dedicated purposed devices in the range but the E17 covers field for a lot of noobs. you seem like you have a dedicated purpose on what you want the upgrade (whatever it is) to do or be. whatever it is, the E17 thread..which is just the CLIEOS's review thread of the E17 is a good read..it's ....very long but starting from page 55 to 80 and then reading from 100-current will give you a good idea of what the E17 can do

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the replies.

I'm either going to wait for ODAC, grab Streamer II + O2,  or Asus Xonar Essence, or Audinst HUD-MX1, or Matrix "m-stage" with USB, or Matrix Cube.

Just having trouble deciding which equates to the best performance \ price ratio.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
How is the DAC of the DG Purple Angel? Good enough, most would say that should be upgraded but as you have it..what do you think?
Isn't the update to teh O2..not an update but an amp and DAC combo..which means it's going to be more expensive?probably $250 instead of $150 from JDlabs?

I'm guessing the DAC on the Xonar DG is decent, but I've never really tried any comparing (testing) it to anything else.
By upgrading, do you mean replacing the DAC chip on the Xonar DG, or swapping out the whole Xonar DG for a more expensive sound card?
To me the most important part of the Xonar DG is that it's only $20 after mail in rebate.
Something like the Music streamer II is external, so less chance of electrical noise from inside the computer case interfering with the analog audio signal.

At first all I was reading about the O2 is that it was about the change over to AC from a battery, so my brain kind got stuck in that though mode.
But ya, it looks like the new design includes a USB/DAC addition.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks. I thought about getting a DG but i already have an E17 . I know what ur thinking. But the point is i like to plug and unplug headphones. I dont want to go under my desk every hour :)

Ive contacted a user of audinist mx1 when i was deciing on a new dac and amp. He said that the mx1 isnt as good as his e10 (contributer rank if that means anything) and that mike was biased by how the two devices looked. The mx1 llooked like audiophile gear the e10 just barely and isnt as agressive audiophile looking.

But that was only one person we need people with the two to compare to know more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back