Noob Question
Jul 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jepenyot

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting a thread on head-fi, and I have a question. I bought IEMs my whole life and now I am looking for help in purchasing some headphones. I bought the Klipsch S4 and the Klipsch Custom 3. I love the sound that comes from them but I feel like something is missing from them. I am not an audiophile but I love to get high quality from my music. I have been looking into Sennheiser HD 595 and the Sennheiser HD 380 pro. I am a pharmacy student and I need one with noise isolation while I am studying at starbucks, and one at home when I just want to relax. I researched and read reviews on them and it looks like they are really good. I would like to ask you guys since I trust your opinions over everyone else. Also I know it will need an amp and I don't know of a good amp to go with them. I was looking at the fiio e7 but don't know if thats a good amp or not. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance guys 
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 24
Price range
Music taste
Amp or Source if availiable
Preferences, though given, needed once more

all this please.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 24
Oh yeah sorry I forgot lol.
Price range - trying to keep it under 200,but I can spend a little more
I don't have an amp, but source is Macbook pro and Cowon J3. Price range for amp - trying to keep it under 100 if possible
Music taste - classical, OST, soundtracks
I don't get what you mean by preference. Maybe you mean I want one closed headphones and one open. Thanks for the fast response and hopefully everything is typed correctly as I'm doing this through my phone lol

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 24
Well, you can go for twins.

he....

Ath-Ad700 is good for gaming but really nice for classical
Ath-A700 are good for Jazz and pop. Of course they handle everything else.

That would be $200 and no need for an amp.

Or you can get one good can like Sony MDr-7509HD that's $200 and needs no amp.

I would go MDR-7509HD because:
Great: Balanced so they handle everything. Comfort, isolation (cancels out the outside noise without leaking any), and build (despite the plastic, it's strong!), Clarity, Separation and soundstage.

Bad: None. But pads are delicate, just treat right and they will last.

beerchug.gif
 Cowon J3 man, YES!  Btw, you won't need an amp ever with you Cowon, they push 95% of cans without an amp great

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 24
x2 7509HD

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 24
Aren't the Sony MDr-7509HD's bulky for portable use? 

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 24
It depends.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Aren't the Sony MDr-7509HD's bulky for portable use? 

I use my mdr-V6 for portable all the time. 7509 are just about the same

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 24
Yeah I made the mistake of purchasing skullcandy IEM before and they were pretty bad and I felt like I wasted my money. And yeah I would like something portable, thats why I was thinking about Sennheiser hd 308. By the looks of things no one prefers the Sennheisers. This is just my first big dive into headphones and I want to make it right. And in terms of sound quality HD595 or the ATH-AD700? For sound quality and noise isolation, the HD308 pro or the MDR-7509 HD, or do you guys have any other recommendations? Also do you think I need something to amp it with for my Macbook Pro? Thank you guys so much for replying quickly. Yeah BotByte I love my Cowon J3, the SQ is amazing and do not regret selling my ipod touch for it 
etysmile.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 24
I actually just had the opportunity to listen to the Sennheiser HD280 pro and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and I feel like the 280 is too straight forward and little to no bass, even though I am not looking for a really bassy phone. The Beyerdynamic DT770 was so much more relaxed in my opinion and had a little bit more bass with amazing sound quality. What do you guys think about the Beyerdynamic DT770? Can my Cowon J3 still run it, and what type of amp do I need for my Macbook Pro? Again thanks so much guys for all your help

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 24
It depends, there's a 80 ohm and 250 ohm version. But i think a headamp is required for both. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 24
DT770/880/990 aren't that sensitive like the other 'phones mentioned so far.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean by sensitive. And I believe it's the 80ohm version. I found it for $160. Is that good

They won't pick up as enough sound as the MDR-7509HDs

Beyer are more for Rock anyhow.

7509HD can handle anything you throw at them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back