noob question: should I get a new CD player or a new DAC?
Oct 18, 2007 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

acidbasement

1000+ Head-Fier
I believe my NAD T524 CD/DVD player is the current limiting factor in my audio setup. I have two options:

1. Buying a dedicated CD player.
2. Buying a DAC and using the NAD as a transport.

Any suggestions? I don't know much about the tradeoffs of transport/DAC vs. CDP, so if you can post any links to get me started, I would surely appreciated it.

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 13
I was in the same situation recently and had a tough time deciding between a new CDP and an external DAC. The reason I chose the external DAC is because I can also connect it to my computer (even though I usually listen to my CDP at home).

You could also settle on some used CDPs and DACs that you would like to get and then buy the one comes up for sale on audiogon or head-fi first (for the price that you want to pay).

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 13
I can't specifically recommend a CD player, but there are plenty of phenomenal sounding players out there with excellent DAC's. The DAC has come a long way, with many 24/192 DAC's sounding phenomenal.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 13
Between the time I clicked on this thread and read the OP, I was already thinking DAC + transport. It's what I am currently using. Cost: a used Toshiba DVDP which no longer plays DVDs $15, and a Sony ES DAC I snagged on eBay $71, for a total of $86. Sounds great, and the DAC has a headphone jack with volume control. What more do you need?

Laz

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Radio Nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't specifically recommend a CD player, but there are plenty of phenomenal sounding players out there with excellent DAC's. The DAC has come a long way, with many 24/192 DAC's sounding phenomenal.

Don't most midrange CD players come with a 24/192 DAC in them?

See ya
Steve

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 13
Get an Azure 840C, and get both, a great cdp and a dac. Or there are a few even better choices that have the same options.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get an Azure 840C, and get both, a great cdp and a dac. Or there are a few even better choices that have the same options.

Agreed. My 740C is a great first good CDP for me and my setup and would be a step up for lots of people. There is always more to spend and better things available, but Cambridge Audio's Azur line seems to be great for the pricepoint.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't most midrange CD players come with a 24/192 DAC in them?

See ya
Steve

Yup, my NAD does have a 24/192 DAC, but when A/B'd against a Rega Apollo, I liked the sound of the Apollo quite a bit more - it was both warmer and more detailed. I've listened to the Cambridge 640C and it was indeed awesome as well.

I am, however, starting to lean more towards the DAC option, and am interested in recommendations for a combination DAC/preamp/headphone amp. I know Headroom makes one for $2K, but that's out of my price range. Does anyone know of a worthwhile product for under $1000, or am I dreaming?

Thanks for all the responses so far.
Iain

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am, however, starting to lean more towards the DAC option, and am interested in recommendations for a combination DAC/preamp/headphone amp. I know Headroom makes one for $2K, but that's out of my price range. Does anyone know of a worthwhile product for under $1000, or am I dreaming?
Iain

Sounds like a Benchmark DAC1 (or DAC1-USB) may be right up your alley. I highly recommend it.

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 13
I also agree with grawk.

The 840c is a fantastic machine.

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 13
Absolutely!! You can have your CD player and DAC too
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm going to suggest mostly the DAC side. I'm using a CityPulse right now with the TCXO upgrade for computer and an old Kenwood DV-2070 and the DAC improves the output from the dv-2070, which is reasonably well built.

I reckon your Nad, with perhaps some additional vibration isolation will sound quite good out through an external DAC, or if you have the budget perhaps a tube DAC for "warmth" - subjective of course.

That said, I recently listened to a 1988 Nakamichi cd player and a 1984 Philips cd player, (those cd players were about $1000 at that point). They sounded quite good, and fairly analogue (subjective)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back