Noob question - Neutrik???
Dec 25, 2008 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

peanuthead

500+ Head-Fier
Howdy folks. Please excuse my ignorance, but I've noticed some amps I'm interested in (Corda Arietta, Shanling PH 100) have Neutrik jacks for headphone connection. What exactly is a Neutrik jack, and do I need an adapter to connect 1/4 headphone plug to it? Thanks!

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 13
They look like this:

PM-TRS.jpg

A standard 1/4" headphone jack plugs into it. It's a locking jack, so you need to press the red button to release the 1/4" plug.

They cost about $5 each and are very well made.

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for enlightening me guys.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 13
I just used a neutrik jack in an amp build. I ordered one because of their good reputation and the fact that they are pretty inexpensive. What exactly is the point of the locking mechanism, though? For me it just makes it difficult to change phones without adding any positives that I can think of.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it just makes it difficult to change phones without adding any positives that I can think of.

Studio wiring uses 1/4" TRS plugs as one of the balanced connectors.

When you have 100 signals (because your recording a band who NEEDS every drum, singer, and instrument individually mastered to synk and play at a similar level...) coming through a wall and someone trips on your wires you can figure out whats what for a few hours or have every plug locked in.

I agree, for headphones its a bit of overkill, and I for one would rather my 1 plug pulled from the amp than pulled the amp from the shelf if I tripped on a cable.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neutik's, Switchcraft's, and Pailiic's are three most common brands for DIY cables and connectors.

Can't go wrong with any of them.

Paillics is not that popular.
Canare should be among them.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 13
I prefer Furutech to all of them. They make the best quality connectors I've seen.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, for headphones its a bit of overkill, and I for one would rather my 1 plug pulled from the amp than pulled the amp from the shelf if I tripped on a cable.

x2. I would certainly not want a locking jack on a headphone amp for this reason alone. Accidently unplugging your headphones briefly is far better than sending your multi-thousand dollar amp crashing to the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back