[NOOB QUESTION] Can I plug headphones to a loudspeaker amplifier?
Nov 5, 2007 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jgazal

500+ Head-Fier
Can I plug headphones (70 ohms, 250 ohms or 300 ohms) to a loudspeaker amplifier?

The idea is to connect each transducer to the respective binding posts in the amplifier (+L,-L; +R,-R) instead of TRS plug (+ L; +R; -LR)

I know that is possible to use Alesis RA150 as a headphone amplifier (page 23, http://www.alesis.com/downloads/manu...500_Manual.pdf).

Would the headphone volume stay too high even with the amplifier volume knob at low position?

Would it be harmful to the amplifier to work with such a low current?

Would the headphones hold the amplifier's power?

Any comments or just general info would be greatly appreciated.

José Luis

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Short answer, no!

Most amplifiers are designed to drive speakers of 6 or 8 ohms (in some cases 4) at high power.

Headphones are not meant to be driven by speaker amplifiers, simple. If there is a special switch to make the amp drive headphones (which sounds pretty strange) then ok, but i seriously recommend not hooking up your headphones to a speaker amp.

Get a headamp.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Is it damaging to the headphones to plug them into speaker amps?

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I dont think that it will damage headphones and i dont think that there is something wrong with plugin headphones to speaker amp....but i never tried so I am not sure.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 5
The biggest problem of connecting headphones into speaker posts would be that you can accidentally blow the drivers if the volume is too high. I have never tried it but I guess it should work just fine.

If you amp has headphone jack it is mostly driven from the main amp with some resistors. The output impedance is just bad and the sound suffers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back