Noob Question: Are Sound Card's and Amps similar to each other?
Feb 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ed Stylz

New Head-Fier
I listen to all of my music on my high end desktop PC. I plug my cans into a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series.

Now my question is; Are sound cards and amps similar to each other? I always hear that using a decent portable amp greatly improves the sound quality. But isn't a sound card doing the same exact thing as the amp?

I need to know because I'm about to buy a pair of Audio Techica's ATH-AD700's. And from what I've read without any amp or sound card, they really lack in bass. And I was hoping that since I'm using a high quality sound card that it would improve the sound quality just as much as an amp.

This is the final question I've been wondering about before I make my purchase. =]

Thanks.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 12
A can amp only amplifies the analog signals it receices and outputs the amplified analog signals to the headphone.

A sound card converts the PCM stream from computer into analog signals which could be played by headphones ,speakers, ect. There're some simple amp circuits in the sound card, too. And sound cards also output digital signals which could be converted by DAC into analog signals.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of the XFi cards can be considered to have high quality sound... unless you mod them. For that I point you to this thread:

facts please, or tell me what you're comparing it too, otherwise, don't talk such rot (don't bash his equipment for no reason, unless you're gonna give us a frame of reference rooted in OBJECTIVE, REALISTIC, data)

lantice I'd suggest you read the digital audio primer that FallenAngel has written, you're like 98% spot-on, just a few bits to expand on it (suggest the OP read it as well)

as far as are they same, basically yes, the soundcard has an opamp on it that applies gain to the signal from its internal D/A source (which isn't PCM btw)

the amplifier will apply "more gain", and will also be designed to cope with higher impedance loads, so there isn't an unruly roll-off at low or high frequencies depending on the load presented

however, AD700's are relatively easy to drive, so you should be alright with your soundcard in that combo, although a solid amplifier wouldn't hurt things, I would not suggest a portable amp (you'll pay more for less because portability isn't free)

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
facts please, or tell me what you're comparing it too, otherwise, don't talk such rot (don't bash his equipment for no reason, unless you're gonna give us a frame of reference rooted in OBJECTIVE, REALISTIC, data)

Anyone with ears who has heard the X Fi cards know that they suck. The OP thinks that they provide "high quality sound", when they obviously don't. Am I supposed to butter up the truth and let him wallow in low quality sound?

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone with ears who has heard the X Fi cards know that they suck. The OP thinks that they provide "high quality sound", when they obviously don't. Am I supposed to butter up the truth and let him wallow in low quality sound?

wow, subjective, opinionated, AND rude
tongue.gif

I happen to enjoy my X-Fi card quite a bit, and I have ears, and I know theres quite a few other members who enjoy their X-Fi cards quite a bit too, and they also have ears or some other form of capturing sound (not sure if the snakes are still members, know they were talking about how the X-Fi was an improve a few years ago though
tongue.gif
)

really, like I said, show some sort of definitive proof of your claims, which show the x-fi "sucks", also, why the hell are you so worried about "the op wallowing in low quality sound", what are you talking about??? you make it sound like his children, favorite 80's pop singer, parents, pet kitty, and grandma will die if he doesn't throw his x-fi away RIGHT NOW, and listen to your opinion (which you haven't even given in full, you're just blabbing "blah blah x-fi sucks blah blah" and not comparing it to anything, so it sucks relative to what? pink noise? Benchmark DAC1? Lynx Aurora? Euphonix System 5? Abbey Road? a live acoustic set with santana? etc)

oh, and take a chill pill man, this is head-fi, an internet forum, the primary reason we buy all this equipment, the music!, no need to get miffed

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 12
Interesting outlook scytheavatar, I can assure you that my X-Fi XtremeMusic does not sound bad at all, in fact, it's a very nice bit-perfect transport.

By no means can I say it's a "high-end source and headphone amp", but it's not bad. It's especially nice for passing 3D-CMSS through S/PDIF in "game mode" while still offering bit-perfect output in "audio creation mode".

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 12
I've got to agree with obobskivich and FallenAngel here, X-Fi based can sound pretty good (I should know, since I've had an Prelude for almost an year).

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 12
@obobskivich
really dont want to bother you, after your great post about life with vinyl, in another thread, but its hard to call xfi high quality card
unless I dont use it with Asio playback in ACreationMode, I think its worse than my onboard audio..
ps: I think you`re too protective to Creative

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 12
I've got a X-Fi, for sound quality I don't think much of it. Also drivers are bloaty. My HTPC has a M-Audio and drivers on that are so much more pruned down. Lots of people have had the crackling issues (on the Creatives) And bug is the X-Fi dissappears from device manager, I've had that fault two or three times. It was only bought for gaming, if the desktop was for a dedicated analogue out source I'd use another soundcard.

sonci, don't insult him he'll just start crying again. tbh he just doesn't like the idea that someone has different opinions, especially if it contradicts his view on equipment.

I'd personally have two cards X-Fi for gaming, and another dedicated card for 2 channel playback. I may just do that in the future.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a X-Fi, for sound quality I don't think much of it. Also drivers are bloaty. My HTPC has a M-Audio and drivers on that are so much more pruned down. Lots of people have had the crackling issues (on the Creatives) And bug is the X-Fi dissappears from device manager, I've had that fault two or three times. It was only bought for gaming, if the desktop was for a dedicated analogue out source I'd use another soundcard.

sonci, don't insult him he'll just start crying again. tbh he just doesn't like the idea that someone has different opinions, especially if it contradicts his view on equipment.

I'd personally have two cards X-Fi for gaming, and another dedicated card for 2 channel playback. I may just do that in the future.

Hey it was just an opinion, no insult...

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 12
sonci your opinion isn't "rare", in that I'm sure other people would agree with you, I don't personally buy into "Audio Creation Mode better than other modes" (don't hear it, therefore, don't bother with it), and have never bought into ASIO/kmixer/SRC babble (I still use my Audigy 2 ZS (in its I2S output SRC-issue free goodness, its full stock btw))

lemme explain Creative, or at least my view of them, in an analogy about Sony

when I was 10 or 11, I had an older friend that worked for a pretty hi-fi retailer at the time, and was asking about Sony products, since, like most younger kids, marketing sort of influences you, and the response was "Sony is great, if you're willing to pay more for the same, and you'll get some little perks along the way"

in other words, Sony's cheapie equipment is pretty bad (look at their entry level receivers, compared to Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, h/k, etc, then look at their ES receivers in that same comparison, I believe their 5400ES is still c|net's reference, but I'm not sure)

Creative is about the same
the $40-$60 cards are just selling the Creative Labs image via marketing, basically, however their $150-$250 products (like my old Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, the new X-Fi Prelude, or the X-Fi Elite Pro) are positively top notch, yeah there is newer gear that probably does it a bit better (I would guess that the Essence STX is probably a tad better than the EP or Prelude if you measured them fairly), its also about 3 years newer (so of course it should be better, Asus has seen the competition's best, and has had time to tweak a "one-up")

I'll admit, I'm sort of a fanboy, in that I prefer Creative products to other stuff on the market, but I also feel that the majority of head-fi doesn't even give them a chance, they just flame 'em up left and right, and new users see this, and go and trash equipment they own, or spend much more based on someone else's opinion

hence why I'm saying, "nah dude!"

that, and absolutist comments like "anyone with ears will know they're junk" are really out of place, its a personal opinion which CD transport you own, so why can't it be a personal opinion which computer transport you own? just because its more accessable to most users doesn't mean it needs to be treated like absolute law

hope this helps anyone understand my take on Creative a bit better

oh and btw, I also <3 M-Audio, which seems to be the #2 most hated after Creative (and if they don't start updating products soon, I'm gonna change sides on that issue...
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back