Noob question about PPX3
Jun 8, 2007 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SonicArmada

500+ Head-Fier
I just received my PPX3, and I don't know the proper etiquette for inserting tubes, removing tubes, powering on, and powering off. I've always had solid-state amps, so this is new to me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 9
- The pair of similar tubes go into the two slots towards the back. The third tube goes in front. There's only one way for these tubes to go in. Insert them while the amp is off.

- Do not remove any tubes while the amp is on.

- Everything should be plugged in and connected before you turn the amp on. This includes interconnects from the source and headphones. It also helps if your source is playing before you turn the amp on.

- To avoid tube damage, turn the volume all the way down before unplugging a headphone to swap out for another.

- Do not flip the power switch like a light switch. Once a tube amp is on, leave it on until you're done listening. If you have to turn it off for any reason, let the tubes cool down before turning it back on (5 minutes minimum).

- Be physically cautious when near the tube amp. You don't want to break a tube, do you?
wink.gif

- Tube amps generally take about 10 minutes (at least) to warm up for the euphonic point to set in.

- Leave plenty of air space around the amp to allow for proper ventilation.

- A favorite drink is required for musical enjoyment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 9
Good post above. The third tube - the one in the front is the main tube (gain). This affects the sound the most. The other 2 are for your left and right channel. So by switching out the gain tube you will hear the most amount of difference.

I believe the amp came with 3 RCA tubes. Try them first. It will give you a good base line. Then one of my favorite combos is the Sylvania as a gain and the 2 Cryo RCA for L and R. Don't EVER EVER turn the amp on without tubes in it. Also it takes some time for the tubes to warm up and develop their sound. And when you turn it off, let it cool off for a while before you switch tubes.

Those should be the basics.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 9
This info is from an old post .... this will help.
smily_headphones1.gif

With all the new tube amp owners sprouting up I thought a basic setup guide would help.

After you remove the amp from the shipping container set the amp on a level and well ventilated rack, shelf or table.

HPIM0030.jpg

Next .... the first thing you want to do is put the tubes in the amps tube sockets. There are all types of tube bases and corresponding tube sockets. I am only going to cover 9 pin and octal sockets to prevent confusion and to keep this guide basic.

To install the tube you need to determine which tube goes with which socket. Small signal tubes usually have 9 pin minature sockets. These tubes dont really have a base just pins exiting the bottom of the tube. With 9 pin tubes there is a break in the pins .... or opening. The tube socket itself also has this break and you simply line up the holes of the socket with the pins of the tube.

Picture003-1.jpg

For octal sockets you have whats called a pin guide. There is a small ridge in the large center plastic pin on the octal tube base.

yhst-8476489043850_1913_26879107.jpg

The octal socket has a cutout that shows you exactly where this pin guide goes. Notice the slight cutout in the center of the rightmost socket in the pic below (sorry about the glare). The ridge of the pin guide is aligned with this cutout and once you place the tube correctly in the socket the tube will drop partway into the socket. Then you use both hands and firmly press the tube until the tube base is flush with the tube socket. If you dont have the tube all the way down hum will likely occur. Bend down and look at the tube socket straight on and make sure the socket is all the way down .... and save yourself the potential trouble.

HPIM0031.jpg

Now you have the amp well placed and the tubes in the amp.

HPIM0034.jpg

Next you want to connect your IC's. Make sure you have L/R correct and that the rca or balanced connection is fully inserted both at the source and the amp ends.

Picture001-6.jpg

At this point I plug in whatever headphones I plan to use. This isnt something to obcess about .... but your tubes will last longer if you keep a load connected whenever the amp is on. Without a load present, for an extended time, you can get what they call "cathode stripping" .... which can drastically shorten the life of your tubes.

The final step is to connect the power cord. Always connect the power cord last! Why? Sometimes amps get sent with the power switch turned on. If this is the case and you plug the power cord in the amp without tubes in the sockets you can damage the amp. I have trained myself to never plug in the power cord until the final step .... and you would be wise to do so too.

Now the amp is setup and you are ready to listen.

HPIM0035.jpg

Turn on the amp and let the amp idle for a minute or so. Then put on your headphones with no signal. Just listen for noise, hum or crackling type sounds. If you hear any of these you could have a bad tube, ground loop or an amp problem. If you do get some type of noise, turn the amp off temporarily, until you can consult with the builder or a knowledgeable person who can trouble shoot with you. If the sound is quiet and noise free turn on some music. The music should be free of distortion and hopefully good sounding. If you hear any distortion, level changes, intermittant pops ar cracks shut down the amp .... and again consult your builder, seller or a knowledgeable person who can guide you.

Assuming everything is ok .... I shut off the music and just let the amp idle for 30 minutes or so to let things settle in .... monitoring with no signal every ten minutes or so. If the amp continues to work fine I am satisfied everyting is ok and I start listening.
600smile.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Alright, I followed all of the rules, thanks.

I do have one problem though. Frankly, the system is sounding like crap.
confused.gif

The left channel is louder than the right, and the sound is muffled quite a bit. I've (safely) changed the tubes several times, with no luck.
frown.gif

I have no idea what's going on, the amp was bought from Claus1100xx, and it was in pristine condition when he shipped it. What should I do in this situation?

frown.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Are you using the same tubes for the left and right channel? Try to use 3 of the same tubes. If that doesn't solve the issue then change your source. If the left and right levels are ok again then you know it is the source. If not then there's an issue with the amp. I never had an imbalance of the left and right channel.

Also make sure your headphones are plugged in all the way and that the tubes are all the way in the socket.

Even with a bad source this amp always sounded rich, full, and simply outstanding. I never heard it sounding bad.

The tubes need a minute or two to warm up and develop their sound. So don't just flip the amp on and off constantly.

Hopefully this works :-/

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 9
I just tried two sources other than my primary one. Same sound.
frown.gif

I also tried different interconnects, still nothing. Claus, did you perhaps accidentally pull the tubes out while the amp was on, while preparing for shipment? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

What kind of repair can be done here? Do I need to send it to Singlepower, or maybe another head-fier?

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Great responses so far. If you want to try a little tube-rolling, pick up a set of NOS 6GU7 tubes for your PPX3. I've been running a set of GEs in my PPX3 that sound terrific. They're still affordable, too; I paid about $20 for 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back