Noob question about ibasso d10
Oct 18, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 27
Ok. Thank you. I'm sorry I realize this question sounds really dumb to the average person around here
confused_face.gif
. I just wanted to make sure if I ordered the d10, I woouldn't need anything else.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm confused. I have a both a line out dock and a mini-to-mini cable. Would that be sufficient for connecting the d10 to my ipod?

sorry, I was confused, because you mentioned you had an LOD, then in the same sentence asked if the mini to mini that came with your headroom bithead would be OK. its ok, it was me that was confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it would, Richie. You could connect the LOD to the analog input of the D10, and use the USB for your laptop.

indeed, what he said

Quote:

Ok. Thank you. I'm sorry I realize this question sounds really dumb to the average person around here
confused_face.gif
. I just wanted to make sure if I ordered the d10, I woouldn't need anything else.

well no, probablty not, but it depends on what sort of optical you have, most opticals that come on laptops are mini/toslink, the cable yo get with the D10 is toslink both ends and you would need one with toslink at the D10 end and mini toslink at the other. or of course use USB with the laptop.

dont worry about the silly questions, asking them is the only way you can hope to move onto intelligent questions
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Thanks again for the replies. Just one more thing..Because the optical dac or whatever it's called is better than the USB one, how can I tell if my laptop has an optical output?

Read the manual maybe?
wink.gif

If it have one it is most certainly a combined 3.5mm headphone out and optical S/PDIF jack.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 27
The D10 I believe has 1/8" jacks judging from the images shown. However mini to 1/4" adapters are cheap and easy to find, head to your local radio shack.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the posters above are correct; but I really hope you didnt buy the D10 thinking you would be able to use the DAC with your ipod, you could have got a more powerful amp like the P3+ for the same money and got a superior amp. you will only be able to utilize the DAC from your computer, or a DAP or PCDP with optical digital output. I see this far too often.

wow, i am so glad to have read your post, qusp. For some reason, i also thought that when using an LOD with an ipod, you were getting a direct feed out of the ipod and that an external DAC would do the converting. So does the LOD only bypass the ipod's amp? I have no need for a DAC for my computer (i use a kingrex T20U driving John Blue JB3's), and was only interested in the DAC for the ipod. So, this will allow me to focus my $$ on an amp only.

Speaking of which, I like the look of the iBasso P3 (or possibly the T4 or wait for T3?), the Meier Corda Headsix and the Practical Devices XM4. One thing I'm not crazy about w/ the P3 and Headsix is that they do not have rechargeable batteries. The idea of lugging around extra batteries just seems like a real drag to me. But i wonder if i'm making a big deal about something that isn't so bad in reality. Any opinions on this?

I'll be using the amp with Grado 80's & Nuforce NE-8's. Does anybody have an opinion on how any of those amps would pair up with the grado's and the NE-8's? Also, of course if anybody can suggest other amps besides what i mentioned, i'd be grateful for any input. I'd like to stay in the $150-$200 range, but could go a little higher than $200 if there was something that was really killer.

Thanks for any feedback. This board is great. It's such an amazing source of info.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #24 of 27
lol. i'm about to ask another noobish question here. but yeah. I intend to get a portable amp to use with my IE8s and I'm tryin' to figure out what would be the ideal setup. Also, I'd probably end up using the amp with my laptop a fair bit and maybe just a wee lil' bit with my iPhone 3GS. I was gonna jump on the bandwagon and go with the D10 and stuff, but then I just read what qusp had to say bout the DAC bypass and amp being mediocre so now I'm a little taken aback though that wouldn't be the perfect term to use.

Some people have suggested the mustang and I've been told the 3move is another option, but at the end of the day, I'm probably looking around the price range of the D10 since I'm really new to the scene and a total clutz with technicalities, but I definitely have a thing for good music and audio recordings.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 27
^ Get the D4 then, instead of the D10?

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfadeaway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, i am so glad to have read your post, qusp. For some reason, i also thought that when using an LOD with an ipod, you were getting a direct feed out of the ipod and that an external DAC would do the converting. So does the LOD only bypass the ipod's amp? I have no need for a DAC for my computer (i use a kingrex T20U driving John Blue JB3's), and was only interested in the DAC for the ipod. So, this will allow me to focus my $$ on an amp only.

Speaking of which, I like the look of the iBasso P3 (or possibly the T4 or wait for T3?), the Meier Corda Headsix and the Practical Devices XM4. One thing I'm not crazy about w/ the P3 and Headsix is that they do not have rechargeable batteries. The idea of lugging around extra batteries just seems like a real drag to me. But i wonder if i'm making a big deal about something that isn't so bad in reality. Any opinions on this?

I'll be using the amp with Grado 80's & Nuforce NE-8's. Does anybody have an opinion on how any of those amps would pair up with the grado's and the NE-8's? Also, of course if anybody can suggest other amps besides what i mentioned, i'd be grateful for any input. I'd like to stay in the $150-$200 range, but could go a little higher than $200 if there was something that was really killer.

Thanks for any feedback. This board is great. It's such an amazing source of info.

The P3/+ is opamp rollable, so it will fit a lot more cans than those that are not, as you can tweak it to sound the way you want to. Synchronizing amps with headphones is difficult, as you don't know if you will like the outcome or not. I'd rather ask if the headphones you have will not fit the amps you are looking at. Swapping the batteries in and out isn't such a pain. Get an AAA charger with 6 or more slots, screw it open, batteries out, put in the AC adaptor into the p3+ when the battery is charging, put the batteries back in, and screw it on. I have to give it a couple of taps for the connection to get there, after that, no problems at all.

Good Luck. The P3+ is a great portable amp, the T4/3 is great for IEMs and extremely portable.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cravenz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.............................snip........... I was gonna jump on the bandwagon and go with the D10 and stuff, but then I just read what qusp had to say bout the DAC bypass and amp being mediocre so now I'm a little taken aback though that wouldn't be the perfect term to use.

.................................snip............. .....................

FWIW, the DAC bypass and amp of the D10 are NOT mediocre!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back