Noob needs help upgrading my beginner system
Oct 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Punchy71

New Head-Fier
 I'm a complete Audiophile noob looking for some help on upgrading my current setup. My current equipment is as follows:

1) Desktop PC and 1st generation Apple iPad
2) Logitech Z-2300 THX certified Speaker system connected to Desktop PC
3) Koss Ur/29 headphones that I switch between the PC and iPad

I listen to primarily .WAX, .RM files from the internet and .WAV files from CD's.

I use the headphones 80 to 90 percent of the time and the external speakers far, far less often.

I primarily listen to audio books and occasionally listen to vocalist music (so I'm primarily interested in recreating the human voice in as great realism as I possibly can). What is the single greatest improvement I could make to upgrading my existing system? I was thinking in terms of possibly a tube amp, DAC or possibly better headphones. Is there anything else I should consider? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
 I'm a complete Audiophile noob looking for some help on upgrading my current setup. My current equipment is as follows:
1) Desktop PC and 1st generation Apple iPad
2) Logitech Z-2300 THX certified Speaker system connected to Desktop PC
3) Koss Ur/29 headphones that I switch between the PC and iPad
I listen to primarily .WAX, .RM files from the internet and .WAV files from CD's.
I use the headphones 80 to 90 percent of the time and the external speakers far, far less often.
I primarily listen to audio books and occasionally listen to vocalist music (so I'm primarily interested in recreating the human voice in as great realism as I possibly can). What is the single greatest improvement I could make to upgrading my existing system? I was thinking in terms of possibly a tube amp, DAC or possibly better headphones. Is there anything else I should consider? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What is your budget?
Just adding an Asus Xonar DG ($26, PCI) or DGX ($40) sound card will improve audio quality of headphones and speakers.
I would say to buy better headphones (budget)?

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm not very far into this myself.  I also enjoy audio books and understand your point.

Using the search I found that people don't care for the UR/29 headphones.  I suspect replacing them would be your best upgrade.  The human voice is almost all midrange so we don't have to look for any bass head options.

If I were you I would look into a nicer pair of head phones perhaps one of these below.
They are all really well reviewed around here and cheap.

ksc75 (on ear clip ons) for $15 off amazon
Monoprice 8323 (Closed full size cans) for $23.23 from monoprice
Monoprice 8320 (IEMs) for $7.11 with a better set of tips

If you are willing to spend more money, a pair of Grado SR60i's should be easy to find for around $70.
There are also a lot of nice gaming headphones available for around $50 or so.

iGrados are cheaper ($45) and have the SR60 driver and a similar sound but the comfort level is somewhat lacking from what I have read. None of these options would require an amp.

Later down the road a better soundcard/dac/or amp may be nice but I think you'll see the biggest upgrade from the headphones.

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Monoprice 8323 (Closed full size cans) for $23.23 from Monoprice

+1, surprising audio quality, for the price.

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 6
+1 as well for the Monoprice 8323.

Check Guttenberg's review. 
wink_face.gif

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57337747-47/how-good-can-$21.59-headphones-be/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back