Noob looking for first great headphones
Oct 16, 2008 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dc5

New Head-Fier
I currently listen to FLAC => Foobar 2000 with Senn HD595 through an e-mu 1616m CardBus system. My musical tastes are eclectic, a little classical, acoustic, classic rock, almost anything.

I've lurked here a bit and absorbed quite a lot, but I still feel quite uncertain about what headphones to get in order to get a better musical experience.

The 1616m is supposed to have a good converter (uses a CS4398 DAC) and the headphone amp in the microdock (breakout box) is powerful and clean. I see a lot on these forums about the e-mu 0404 USB. The sound in my setup should be similar although the specs are incrementally better than the USB.

So as a first step I want to upgrade headphones. The Senn HD595 were my first attempt to go for superior sound, previously I had used cheaper headphones as I dabbled in recording and mixing. My experience matches what many say about the 595s, they have a sweet sound but the bass just isn't there. They seem perfect for watching a movie but less than I hoped for musically. I am by no means a bass head, but i have to eq the low end to get a sound that is more pleasing.

Budget? Well I guess something in the range of Beyer DT880 or AKG K701 would be where I would be most comfortable.

Any suggestions? I'd like to know what would combine well with my current rig. Thanks for your help!

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently listen to FLAC => Foobar 2000 with Senn HD595 through an e-mu 1616m CardBus system. My musical tastes are eclectic, a little classical, acoustic, classic rock, almost anything.

I've lurked here a bit and absorbed quite a lot, but I still feel quite uncertain about what headphones to get in order to get a better musical experience.

The 1616m is supposed to have a good converter (uses a CS4398 DAC) and the headphone amp in the microdock (breakout box) is powerful and clean. I see a lot on these forums about the e-mu 0404 USB. The sound in my setup should be similar although the specs are incrementally better than the USB.

So as a first step I want to upgrade headphones. The Senn HD595 were my first attempt to go for superior sound, previously I had used cheaper headphones as I dabbled in recording and mixing. My experience matches what many say about the 595s, they have a sweet sound but the bass just isn't there. They seem perfect for watching a movie but less than I hoped for musically. I am by no means a bass head, but i have to eq the low end to get a sound that is more pleasing.

Budget? Well I guess something in the range of Beyer DT880 or AKG K701 would be where I would be most comfortable.

Any suggestions? I'd like to know what would combine well with my current rig. Thanks for your help!

Hmm then its a good thing I bought rhe HD555 and saved myself all this money.

Best you get the HD 650 senns or those Grado reference.

If you had that kinda money to spend on a HD 595 why you just did not get the HD600 and done. Grado not comfortable from what I read and other headphones are ugly I find.

If I had the cash I would buy the HD-650 and screw every other brand I real serious. To bad its $500 US.
triportsad.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 15
John, I got the 595s on eBay for a pretty cheap price and before I had come to headfi. I could have read that they weren't going to be what I wanted without finding out on my own. The 600s are a good thought -- thanks for the suggestion.

Mow, I listen to a lot of different stuff -- lately Steely Dan Aja, Diana Krall Live in Paris, Eva Cassidy Songbird, Otmar Liebert.

The 595s sound great on most voices and acoustic guitar. Where I miss the bass is in a classical recording or rock.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 15
For the things you mentioned, the k701 might fit the bill. However you said a lot of different stuff, and the HD600 are a good all arounder. However both of these are very hard to amp. IMO the k701 is, but they both shine from a high quality amp. And I don't know how good the e-mu is, I know my 0404 one is not that great. And either of these headphones wont disappoint.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 15
My favorite all-around headphone is the Sennheiser HD-600. It sounds like it would meet all your requirements.

Look for a used one here, at eBay and at Audiogon. I found mine for $200.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 15
Your on the right track. I listen to the same music and place a high value on comfort. My all time favorites are HD600's (i prefer them over my hd650's) and DT880's both for comfort and sound. Both are great with tube amp. Portable amps won't get the job done (properly) with either of these 2 phones.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 15
Joay, I'm glad you brought up comfort. That's quite important to me, so good to hear that about the HD600. Also interesting to get a comparison with the DT880.

Erik, looks like you have all of the headphones I have considered (and more) so that's another strong vote for the 600s. I'll look around for a used pair.

Mow, I guess I'll have to see how the sound is with my e-mu. I suppose it will do an adequate job for now, but sometime in the future I will think about trying a better amp.

I suspect I would like the K701s but the 600s as an allrounder does fit my wide range of music tastes so that looks like a good way to go.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by john5220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm then its a good thing I bought rhe HD555 and saved myself all this money.

Best you get the HD 650 senns or those Grado reference.

If you had that kinda money to spend on a HD 595 why you just did not get the HD600 and done. Grado not comfortable from what I read and other headphones are ugly I find.

If I had the cash I would buy the HD-650 and screw every other brand I real serious. To bad its $500 US.
triportsad.gif

Have you heard the 650's? A lot of people hate them. I 'Gradod' mine (Alex mod) by removing all the padding, which includes the one behind the drivers. Brighter,more spacious, better detail, tighter bass, less dark..But still retains what makes the 650 so great, for those who love them.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard the 650's? A lot of people hate them. I 'Gradod' mine (Alex mod) by removing all the padding, which includes the one behind the drivers. Brighter,more spacious, better detail, tighter bass, less dark..But still retains what makes the 650 so great, for those who love them.

OH crap! That was the one mod I forgot to do! I should have removed the padding behind the drivers when I had a pair. Oh well.

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 15
Actually, having owned the HD600 on various occasions and having read some of the above comments, IMHE:

(1) The Beyerdynamic DT880/2003 are certainly more comfortable than the HD600. There's no question in my mind or around my head about that one.

(2) The Denon AH-D2000 are perhaps a better all-rounder than the HD600. I personally found the D2000 the better resolving of the two, and a bit more forward (which I happen to prefer). I will concede that the HD600 have the edge with jazz and classical recordings, while the D2000 handle rock and pop genres better.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #14 of 15
I wasn't familiar with the Denon D2000s so I've done a bit of reading. I called and talked to Headroom and got a strong recommendation from the salesman based on my usage. Another plus for me is that they are apparently more forgiving of the amp and so I can probably enjoy them with my 1616m until I move to a dedicated amp.

Thanks for putting me on to these.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OH crap! That was the one mod I forgot to do! I should have removed the padding behind the drivers when I had a pair. Oh well.

The mod was crucified by many claiming 'this and that'. It got personal when someone called Alex a simple DIYer. Was a troll fest.. many wet their panties cause the driver was exposed! Silly. Mine has been moded for over a yr. Not one problem. No dust build etc. Theres nothing to fear but fear itself..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back