Noob!! Ikko + Blon = ??
Sep 27, 2020 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

sideways

100+ Head-Fier
I have 35 years of audio experience under my belt but this is the first time I'm trying iem's... through some reading here I picked up a pair of OH1's and BL-03's...

Plus - Ikko's stage front sound... midcentric I think you call it... really like that... up front without the treble shrill... fit is great... trying to find a foam tip that works... NewBee has lots of bottom end whereas the i-Planet ikko tips have way too much treble... need a compromise... not sure where to look.

I don't have much to say about the Blon's only that are somewhat enjoyable with a larger stage but further back in the mids. They don't fit good really on me... fiddle with them too much... the NewBee foams make them wearable and listenable... they will probably go to my wife LOL!!

I need the ikko's to be clearer and smoother without losing what they have otherwise... they can sound a tad grainy with some material... is that possible or am I looking at another iem?? And that's ok... like I said... first timer here... easy to pick wrong :)

I'd like to keep things under $200 if recommending a different iem if possible but things in the audio world don't always work that way. Otherwise any input is appreciated!!

Thanks!!

EDIT: BTW using a Fiio K5 Pro as an amp with computer as a source

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 23
I would recommend that you get yourself a variety of different silicone tips. As foams change the sound a lot. And getting a good seal is one of the most important things for iems.

Final Audio Type E
Sony Hybrid (EP-EX11)
Spinfits CP145
JVC Spiral dot/spiral dot ++
AZLA sedanearfit

Those are my recommendations and I suggest that you get a few of each types (wide bore = Azla/JVC and Narrow bore = Type E/CP145, Hybrids)

And if you want to get the Type E tips, I recommend you get them through the Final Audio E1000. They are included with all sizes and the E1000 itself has a pretty good neutral tuning and isnt much more expensive than getting the tips alone.

You might be able to use the blon 03 after getting some more tips so you can do some tip rolling.

graph (13).png

The OH10 might be an upgrade to the OH1, but cant comment on that since I havent heard them

You can take a look at the graph tool here: https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/

and here are some ranking lists so you know where to start looking (including my own lol):

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx...518&ithint=file,xlsx&authkey=!ANx0oFPRoOms_Ng

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GXz_mFXxV1DKMIOAP6yhELjJX3JpJaI7TaBtphfpiC4/edit#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TH9_bqUq1vANsFiXVbVZ6w8kVA9C3DkknnMGyIcKE7M/edit

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YNuslYM4CrhMPrOLofzTm4ei7HEfP8AI1zxswrMw2ho/edit?usp=sharing

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 23
Blon + Ikko = Blonikko which sounds Japanese:)

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 23
Unfortunately my ears have a hard time with silicone... can't get them to stay in place... and when they do the seal isn't great... at least not the same as I get with foam.

I do understand the potential of sonic change with foam but alas... that's where I am at my age :D

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 23
Unfortunately my ears have a hard time with silicone... can't get them to stay in place... and when they do the seal isn't great... at least not the same as I get with foam.

I do understand the potential of sonic change with foam but alas... that's where I am at my age :D
Is it because of the size? The Azla tips are very big and should fit a lot of people.

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 23
I think cause they are shallow with deep canals... you have to excuse me as I'm not very technical with iem terms...

As an example... I have all the silicone tips from both sets and nothing worked with the Blon's... I was constantly trying to push them in just to hear some resemblance of bass...

The Ikko's sat very well in my ear and worked better in that regards but the seal was not good with silicone's...

I hope I'm getting this across ok...

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 23
I think cause they are shallow with deep canals... you have to excuse me as I'm not very technical with iem terms...

As an example... I have all the silicone tips from both sets and nothing worked with the Blon's... I was constantly trying to push them in just to hear some resemblance of bass...

The Ikko's sat very well in my ear and worked better in that regards but the seal was not good with silicone's...

I hope I'm getting this across ok...
Yes, stock tips (the ones you get with the iem itself) are usually crap. 90% of my stock tips don't fit me, so I think you should try some 3rd party ones.

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 23
Sounds good... will take up your suggestion and order some tonight... thanks!!

So... wide bore equals lower treble and narrow is more??
For me narrow bore tightens the bass and reduces treble peaks.

While wide bore increases treble and sometimes helps the technicalities (soundstage, detail, instrument separation) be a bit better.

I say it is best to get at least one type of each (bore size), so I would recommend the type e and the Azla tips for you.

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 23
I'm in Canada FYI... Alza's are hugely expensive on Amazon for me LOL... will check other sources later...

E tips... I can get a sample pack for $20... Spinfits are $15... E1000 is not available to me... only the E2000 and E3000... do those come with the same tips??

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 23
I'm in Canada FYI... Alza's are hugely expensive on Amazon for me LOL... will check other sources later...

E tips... I can get a sample pack for $20... Spinfits are $15... E1000 is not available to me... only the E2000 and E3000... do those come with the same tips??
Yes the entire E series do include the type e tips. I just recommended the e1000 because of the price value aspect. But the E3000 is a good iem but can be a bit bassy for some.

I imported the Azla tips from Amazon Japan to Sweden. Might be cheaper for you too.
(but yes they are pretty expensive)

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 23
I have 35 years of audio experience under my belt but this is the first time I'm trying iem's... through some reading here I picked up a pair of OH1's and BL-03's...

Plus - Ikko's stage front sound... midcentric I think you call it... really like that... up front without the treble shrill... fit is great... trying to find a foam tip that works... NewBee has lots of bottom end whereas the i-Planet ikko tips have way too much treble... need a compromise... not sure where to look.

I don't have much to say about the Blon's only that are somewhat enjoyable with a larger stage but further back in the mids. They don't fit good really on me... fiddle with them too much... the NewBee foams make them wearable and listenable... they will probably go to my wife LOL!!

I need the ikko's to be clearer and smoother without losing what they have otherwise... they can sound a tad grainy with some material... is that possible or am I looking at another iem?? And that's ok... like I said... first timer here... easy to pick wrong :)

I'd like to keep things under $200 if recommending a different iem if possible but things in the audio world don't always work that way. Otherwise any input is appreciated!!

Thanks!!

EDIT: BTW using a Fiio K5 Pro as an amp with computer as a source

The BLON BL-03 has bad fit for most westerners due to the too short nozzle. So bad fit may give poor bass response.
Most of us use aftermarket tips that have longer nozzle eg spinfit CP100/145, or use a spacer mod or reverse KZ starline tips:

Spacer mods here if you are interested (pics included, credit to these folks), YMMV:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1745#post-15176790
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1841#post-15260691
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/page-1774#post-15201197

Slater's reverse KZ starline mod: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/ (credit to Slater).

The BLON's 2 pin cable type is also quite unique. I think the stock cable is servicable, but it is quite stiff at the earhooks, so sometimes it yanks the IEM out of the ear. If u are adventerous, u can cut the plastic earhooks open or use a hairdryer to mould the earhooks to your preferred fit. Some even wear the BLON cable down (swap the earpieces) after cutting the plastic earhooks.

Sadly the BLON doesn't fit most folks OOTB well, but if you put in some effort for tips +/- cables, the sound is magical in timbre and tonality for the $20ish USD asking price. It doesn't have the best technicalities and has a midbass bloat, but timbre and tonality is excellent.

Sep 28, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for the info!!

Hey... anyone know anything about the Hisenior B5?? Just stumbled upon a couple reviews here... midcentric and $79.00!!

Yeah I have it, it is a 5 knowles BA set, which is very competitively priced at $70ish USD.

It has above average technicalities, but soundstage is narrow. Good isolation, good imaging and good timbre for a BA. I keep it as my backup stage monitor.

It is midcentric N shaped, so good for vocals and acoustic guitar stuff, but not all rounder due to the roll off in subbass and upper treble. There's not many sub $100 sets that have a midcentric tuning with boosted lower mids/mids. So it is a very niche tuning more suited for vocals, it doesn't do that well with bass forward stuff or for trebleheads. It is not a set I would give a universal recommendation for, unless you know it is the tuning you want and maybe if your music genres suit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back