Noob here, Could somebody give me some experience for some nice portable headphones for under 100$?
Mar 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

boucarion

New Head-Fier
I've been using the iPod earphones for quite a few years now, and it wasnt until recently (when I listened to my friend's Nixon Nomadic) when I decided to get myself a nice pair of headphones
k701smile.gif

I've been doing some extensive research for the past few days, and I want some nice portable headphones (compatible with the iPod or other MP3 players) for under $100. I can increase this to 150$, 200$ MAX.

It can be open/closed, and I would like them to like... well... nice.

I'm particularly interested in headphones by AKG or Audio Technica.

Yaw.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 27
If you don't mind full-size, and you're in the US, check out some Grados (60/80 in the range you're looking for). Read up on them here - people tend to love them or hate them. I'm on the love them side.

- Ed

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 27
I'm sticking to my D1001 recommendation as a full-sized portable. Can't think of anything else, actually. I don't think any of the full-sized ATs are suitable as portables... And I don't know anything about AKG.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 27
Warm, bassy. The bass is boomy to some, but at the price, I can't complain, really. At $100, the top choices are AD700, D1001, and MS-1, and I think the D1001s are the best all-rounders. Surprisingly wide soundstage for a closed headphone, satisfying bass, sufficient detail to count as "audiophile" headphones, very fun to listen to.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can push to 150, you might want to try the M-Audio Q40. I'm going to assume that isolation is semi-important.

Q40s are not portable. D1001's are. Get the D1001's.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 27
FWIW, I just ordered a set of foldable SoundMagic P10 headphones from MP4nation for under $25 shipped (here's the link).

Truth be told, they seem (?) to be new, and there is little to no information about them... a couple of pages here, but no real impressions, unfortunately (I'll write up some of mine in the one dedicated thread when I get them).

However, the SoundMagic stuff has seemed to create a bit of a following/stir, so this may be a good budget option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back