Noob Buying Sub $300 Closed Over the Ear Headphones
Aug 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
lel, what did you expect?

For people to give their experiences and not just rattle off models. IE I recommended XYZ because of ABC. People say it has DEF problems but I haven't had issues.

That sort of thing. :/

Quote:
Hmm...I do not have those issues! I have small head thought...ears are big and the PSB covers my entire ears  xD

Billson :)

Hmm, that's good to know.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

No one sells the other headphones listed around here, at least not without really searching the city for small obscure stores. So I'll have to buy from Amazon. I have a credit card with a high limit, so ordering and returning isn't a problem. I'll just be out the cost of return shipping. Luckily I do have prime, so shipping to me is free.

If you have prime then what are you waiting for?  It's free return too if you just give them excuse.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #20 of 39
What kind of dac/amp should I get? Probably just an amp for now and dac later. Decided I'm going to just order momentum, phb, and m-100 and maybe the mad dog and just compare and return the ones I didn't like.

Don't want anything too expensive. It will just be for computer->headphone use.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 39
Get the AudioQuest DragonFly for its very clean sound. BTW someone is selling his PHA-1 in the sale section too.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Here's the phones that are usually recommended and the main pros and cons for each that I've gathered from the forums.

Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
+ good warm sound
- boomy bass
- wings may be weird to some people

The bass is not Boomy, the Ath M50 has BOOM bass, the A 900x has... a loose'r bass. Yea it's not entirely tight, but it's not so loose that it booms. It's more of a Thicker Liquid bass, compared to something Solid like the Akg K550. Still though the Ath a900x wings work nice when you hair is pretty short [mines about a 14" xD] in addition the Ath a900x has A LOT of clamp, in addition buying a1000 pads for the Ath A900x [http://www.head-fi.org/t/677630/audio-technica-ath-900x-and-fiio-e11-amp-make-offer here  the Ath a900x  is sold for $120 used] which cost about $60 [with shipping] should tighten the bass up a good bit and help the headphone grip your face better. But it's a nice headphone, it isolates well, which means you may not need as much volume and the leaking is minimal. 

Oh yea the Akg K550, there is an option but like the Ath a900x the fit is kinda derp on some people! And it'sa about $180ish as well. Good isolation and overall a very balanced neutral sound! I enjoy it [although if you have $350 dollars... you could get ballsy and try to low ball a W1000x. I paid $350 for my w1000x actually] But the w1000x really needs $100 Leather pads and a $30 moddification done to REALLY sound heavenly

So the Akg K550 and Ath A900x two options from me. I have reviews of them here! 

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #23 of 39
You have mentioned the V-Moda M100's.

I own these cans, and I really love them. I can say that if you want to listen to metal with them, you will be satisfied. I listen to many kinds of music, including metal, hardcore, oldschool rock and alternative, and I liked how these headphones performed.

Also, you can get really good sound without any special equipment (amp or dac), I use them with my phone and I get no distorsion at all.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:
You have mentioned the V-Moda M100's.

I own these cans, and I really love them. I can say that if you want to listen to metal with them, you will be satisfied. I listen to many kinds of music, including metal, hardcore, oldschool rock and alternative, and I liked how these headphones performed.

Also, you can get really good sound without any special equipment (amp or dac), I use them with my phone and I get no distorsion at all.

Yea it comes dwn to what you want more of, Guitars or Bass and Kick Drums. The V Moda will have a nice guitar BUT it will have more focus on the Bass Guitar and Drums, seeing as the can is bassy, something like a Ath A900x will have equal focus on Guitars and Drums, the something like the Akg K550, will put the guitars and all thier glory on focus, with good Drum and Bass, but not as much of a forward sounding Percussion prensetation

Not to mention the Ath a900x is very budget friendly <3 

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #26 of 39
Aug 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 39
So I got the Momentum and M-100 in today.

Momentum has a bit better audio and better feeling pads. Pads are too small though. They barely fit over my ears.
M-100 has bigger pads and more comfortable but gets tiring after a couple hours. I do like how it takes a standard cable and can plugin both sides. They also have low sound leaking which is nice.

Sigh... Here's hoping the M4AU1 are more comfortable. I'll be getting those in tomorrow.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:
So I got the Momentum and M-100 in today.

Momentum has a bit better audio and better feeling pads. Pads are too small though. They barely fit over my ears.
M-100 has bigger pads and more comfortable but gets tiring after a couple hours. I do like how it takes a standard cable and can plugin both sides. They also have low sound leaking which is nice.

Sigh... Here's hoping the M4AU1 are more comfortable. I'll be getting those in tomorrow.

If you do decide to keep the M-100, then you should go ahead and order the XL pads too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back