Noob Buying Sub $300 Closed Over the Ear Headphones
Aug 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

xilo

New Head-Fier

I know there's a thread similar to this that was just started, but I figured I'd start a new thread with my specific needs and experiences with some of the headphones mentioned that I've tried out.

I get to play with $300 for "work improvement accessories" at my new job. I could probably thrown in around $50 of my own to get up to $350ish if I need to. I will be buying a DAC/AMP in January when the budget resets.

- Closed and minimal leaking. This is important. I'll be in an open office with people near me. I have kind of ****ty hearing and tend to turn up the volume. At my old job, I had in-ear earphones and would have people regularly tell me they can hear the music from the hallway and wonder why I have it so loud.

- Preferably detachable plug. Every pair of headphones I've ever had I ended up tearing up the cable.

- Sound. I listen to a lot of rock, metal, pop, edm, and a majority are female vocals. I also listen to a lot of instrument focused music like jazz, classical, etc. I like bass, but not boomy bass. I don't want the vocals muffled from the sounds being too heavy.

- Don't care about portability. These will be used exclusively at the office in front of a PC.

- Comfortable. This is another important factor. I'm a programmer so I will end up wearing them for hours at a time. I also wear glasses so that affects some headphones.

Here are the decent ones I got to try at the store. I'll list the pros and cons of each to get an idea of what I'm looking for. Each of these had a couple cons that put me off from wanting to buy them.

beyerdynamic dt770 pro:
+ comfortable. I liked the cups and how the headband arched so it's not squishing your head.
+ low noise leaking
+ good build quality
- suffered mids
- rattling bass
- no detachable cable

audio-technica ath-m50:
+ good build quality
+ not as comfortable as the dt770 but still okay (not sure on long term)
+ doesn't require an amp (I will buy one anyways but still nice)
- leaks too much noise
- sounds are too heavy
- stupidly long cable
- pleather gets sweaty (I live in Texas)
- no detachable cable

shure srh840
+ sound (I liked the sound in these the best out of the ones I tried)
+ low noise leaking
+ doesn't require an amp (not really an issue though)
- cheap feeling build quality
- headband not comfortable
- proprietary detachable cable

akg k271 mkII
+ comfortable
+ good build quality
+ detachable cable
- very mid dominant, shrill highs and muddy bass
(don't remember how much they leak sound)

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 39
You've done a good bit of research, from what I remember the k271s also have a terrible treble roll off as well.  Maybe some audio Technicas? The A900x or A1000s might be good, I have no experience with them.  DT770s will sound good if you've never heard anything better but the mid range ruins it for me.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 39
I had done some looking. Though my knowledge of audio gear is very limited. I was planning on just getting the M50s and not spend so much money, but I went into the store and played around with those and similarly priced headphones they had. I'm glad I was able to try them out before I impulse bought as they and the others aren't really good at all. Don't care for heavy bass and other issues. I was surprised the store didn't have better stock on headphones.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 39
Don't forget the V-MODA M-100 or the BeyerDynamic DT 1350.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 39

Here's the phones that are usually recommended and the main pros and cons for each that I've gathered from the forums.

V-MODA M-100
+ comfortable and well built
- fun and bass heavy like the M50s

PSB M4U1
+ good balanced sound
- uncomfortable for long periods of time since they sit on the ear

Sony MDR-1R
+ good balanced sound
+ very comfortable
- cheap feeling build quality (creaking)

AKG K551/550
+ clean neutral sound
+ good build quality
- difficult to maintain seal

Sennheiser Momentum
+ neutral and detailed
+ good build quality
- not good for bass heavy music
- small cups, may not be comfortable for extended use

Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
+ good warm sound
- boomy bass
- wings may be weird to some people

Again, I'm looking for closed with good seal to prevent leakage, warmer/cleaner tones for female vocals, preferably detachable cable. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music but don't want bass dominant sounds. Anyone with these provide some insight or suggestions?

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 39
Err...may I know where you get the info on the PSB M4U1 being on-ear? They are over the ear for every size of head and the a momentum does not have strong clamping force so shouldn't be a problem for extended period of listening unless you dislike on ear headphone and that is a different story xD

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:
Err...may I know where you get the info on the PSB M4U1 being on-ear? They are over the ear for every size of head and the a momentum does not have strong clamping force so shouldn't be a problem for extended period of listening unless you dislike on ear headphone and that is a different story xD

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

A lot of people complain about the cups being small and uncomfortable on here and other places.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 39
Just better comfort.  BTW you are right, unless you can demo all of them yourselves, it is VERY hard to get an accurate assessment.  This is why if you have the funds and can buy from a place that take returns, then get a couple of them at the same time and just keep the ones you like.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 39
I think you answered your own question in the initial post .... the SRH840.  If you look at the cons you listed:
 - cheap feeling build quality ...... may appear that way, but they're actually pretty solid.  Unless you're planning on throwing them around, they should last for ages.
 - proprietary detachable cable ...... why is this a negative?  Replacements are relatively cheap, and you can get the straight cable if required.  At least it is replaceable.
 - headband being uncomfortable ........ personally I don't have the same issue - but ...... if you like the sound, then mod the headband.  By undoing a few screws you can actually take the inner heavy piece of rubber out, and then replace something with softer and lighter foam.

But if you want something out of the box that should suit - have a look at Mr Speakers Mad Dogs.  I haven't heard them yet - but have a pair coming.  Your music tastes are similar to mine, I really like the SRH840 sound signature also - so my research indicates that the MD may be what you are after (I'll be able to tell you for real when they eventually arrive).  You'll probably need an amp though ....

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
I think you answered your own question in the initial post .... the SRH840.  If you look at the cons you listed:
 - cheap feeling build quality ...... may appear that way, but they're actually pretty solid.  Unless you're planning on throwing them around, they should last for ages.
 - proprietary detachable cable ...... why is this a negative?  Replacements are relatively cheap, and you can get the straight cable if required.  At least it is replaceable.
 - headband being uncomfortable ........ personally I don't have the same issue - but ...... if you like the sound, then mod the headband.  By undoing a few screws you can actually take the inner heavy piece of rubber out, and then replace something with softer and lighter foam.

But if you want something out of the box that should suit - have a look at Mr Speakers Mad Dogs.  I haven't heard them yet - but have a pair coming.  Your music tastes are similar to mine, I really like the SRH840 sound signature also - so my research indicates that the MD may be what you are after (I'll be able to tell you for real when they eventually arrive).  You'll probably need an amp though ....

For the cable, it's just nicer to be able to buy any standard cable if you do need extra or a replacement. Not too big of a deal though. The main problem was the headband. It was pressing on the top of my head and wasn't that comfortable. I'm not very handy-man inclined, so not really wanting to do mods. I did like the sound though. I was looking at Mad Dogs as well, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback on these.

Quote:
Just better comfort.  BTW you are right, unless you can demo all of them yourselves, it is VERY hard to get an accurate assessment.  This is why if you have the funds and can buy from a place that take returns, then get a couple of them at the same time and just keep the ones you like.

No one sells the other headphones listed around here, at least not without really searching the city for small obscure stores. So I'll have to buy from Amazon. I have a credit card with a high limit, so ordering and returning isn't a problem. I'll just be out the cost of return shipping. Luckily I do have prime, so shipping to me is free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back