Noob Audio Technica Ath-A900X review
Apr 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #31 of 47
I found the velour pads here:

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=544

But there $30

I can only assume they will last longer and be better then the cheapo pads on the a900s

Anyhow im at a loss i may just get them or the normal replacement pads for $40 from audiocubes,  and heck least im good for another 2-3 years again before trying to find this thread to moan about how expensive they are :)

Im still half tempted to go for the A900X but yeah they sound only similar if not slightly better then the A900s and they maybe more heavier and more uncomfortable and £160+ potential £20-30 tax making them close to £200....... so perhaps $30-40 pads dont sound too bad all of a sudden !

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #32 of 47
Are these difficult to drive at all? I'm pretty new to headphones, and I'm looking to get into it very soon here... I can get these for $150 + tax(and yes, I mean the 900X), and I've been looking into dacs and amps for the last week or so- I might go with an audio engine D1 since I can get it for quite cheap, but again, idk how well it would work with this particular can.

If anyone knows of a good guide to headphone and dac/amp pairing, a link would be much appreciated. I've looked and haven't found anything too definitive, typically just "good" reviews of things.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #33 of 47
These headphones are easy to drive not difficult at all. 150+tax is really cheap where?
As for amp I would say it all depends on what music you like to listen to. These are overall pretty balanced headphones, unless you are a bass head. Since these are pretty balanced headphones you can get an amp that is suited to your listening characteristic. So if you like more bass than get an amp that ampllifies the bass more. If you like your music to be more spatial then get an amp that provides this quality since these are closed headphones. Anyways you get the idea.

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:
Are these difficult to drive at all? I'm pretty new to headphones, and I'm looking to get into it very soon here... I can get these for $150 + tax(and yes, I mean the 900X), and I've been looking into dacs and amps for the last week or so- I might go with an audio engine D1 since I can get it for quite cheap, but again, idk how well it would work with this particular can.

If anyone knows of a good guide to headphone and dac/amp pairing, a link would be much appreciated. I've looked and haven't found anything too definitive, typically just "good" reviews of things.

Do you work at Best Buy? Because I do, and I think I know why you are getting that price and looking into the Audioengine D1. I am looking similarly. 

Does anyone know how these compare to the AKG K550s? I've read so many great things about the K550s but when I listen to them next to the A900X, I felt that the K550s highs were not smooth and harsh (relatively), the A900X mids (acoustic instruments and vocals) were much fuller and detailed, the bass was certainly deeper on the A900X. The soundstage seemed ever so slightly bigger on the A900X. Overall detail and separation seemed better on the A900X as well. Before experiencing the sound of many headphones, I thought I would need a balanced, analytical sound. I like to study the music in detail. I don't know what is thought of these headphones, but I thought they gave superior detail for the analytical. They were both more fun, musical, and giving for those who want to follow distant harmonies and other elements of the music. These are my first two headphones compared, I have listened to many speakers, but no serious headphones till now. Am I missing something? The K550s are said to be well worth the 300 bucks... How could I find these to be better in every aspect? What did I miss?!!?

Oh yea... comfort isn't great imo. Upset me a bit. I wanted to like the K550s

May 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #35 of 47
I'm looking at getting the A900X, anyone tried the Essence STX with the A900X?
The Essence STX's headphone jack has a impedance of 10-Ohms, so I'm wondering if it will negatively affect the A900X's bass?

May 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:
I'm looking at getting the A900X, anyone tried the Essence STX with the A900X?
The Essence STX's headphone jack has a impedance of 10-Ohms, so I'm wondering if it will negatively affect the A900X's bass?

You sure about that? The K550 is superior in every possible way, and then some. Not sure if you're willing to pay the difference though.

May 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

You sure about that? The K550 is superior in every possible way, and then some. Not sure if you're willing to pay the difference though.

For me it was between the A900X and K550, but the K550 has been going up in price (from demand?)
and I've had my eye on the A900X for awhile, also a few have rated the A900X over the K550.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
Will it work well ona  cowon player it has a power putput of 29ohms left and 29 ohms right? 

The ATH-A900X is somewere around 40-Ohms, should work with anything.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #42 of 47
As for the comment the k550 being better it really all depends on ones preferences. I say simply try them both and whatever one you like better that is the better headphone. I read so many comparisons of this vs that and then I try the headphones and I find sometimes agree but sometimes disagree. Also price plays a part. If headphone A is a little better but costs 50%more than the question is if I buy headphone A and also money saved allows me to buy an amp then Headphone A may come out sounding better than Headphone B without an amp.

As for the power, most players can drive the A900X as they are fairly efficient/not power hungry headphones. The only reason I suggested the E17 as opposed to some other AMP only is because the E17 has the EQ which I find really useful. The A900X as indicated above is great in the mids and highs but for me the lows where a little lacking when listening to RAP/Hip Hop music. The E17 allowed me to put the bass back in and then some.

I purchased these in HK for around $235. Don't remember now. I reviewed these when I initially got them, may have posted price then. Sorry you will need to do a search. I think it was back in Dec/Jan.
As for isolation there are better but once you put on the music everything is silent. I like closed cans so asking me to compare them to open cans would be pointless. I like my sound stage to be fairly close, I like it when the singer sounds like they are just in front of me.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #43 of 47
I'd really like to know how these compare to the ATH-M50?

May 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:
I'd really like to know how these compare to the ATH-M50?

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

I know I've read somewhere that the A900x is better than the M-50.

For those who own or owned both can you elaborate?

I'm about to pull the trigger on the A900x but was also considering the M-50 just to have a solid all around performer for faster paced music like Rock and Metal. I'm also an owner of the ATH-A700 and while it's a great headphone for music thats slower paced or acoustic music.... the hot treble doesn't do it for me when listening to fast paced Metal or even Rock.

I bought the A700 since many reviewers said it was VERY close to the A900....but those differences are possibly what makes it unsuitable for every genre.

The A900x has been on my hit-list since reading DsNuts review back when they were first released in Japan.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:
I'm not really sure about that... I would really say... NO! :wink:
Just in case, take a look at this other thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587478/any-recent-reviews-of-the-audio-technica-a900x/15#post_8256978

and stay tuned to the review by MalVeauX to see what else he has to say regarding fit
and IF the pads became a bit softer but my initial answer would be, NO... I don't think there
will be a BIG change to comfortability regarding earpads... (unless you spend MORE and buy the leather ones...)

ooh, oh mai! Has any one tried the a900x with w1000x pads? My w1000x has L3000 Pads on it, so I have a spare pair of stock w1000x pads lying around [which I think they are pleather honestly, yea the w1000x pads are TOTALLY pleather, the l3000 pads have the feel that real leather does. Although I don't want to have to buy ANOTHER pair of L3000 pads q.q as those dmn things run about $100 

Any one tried Ath A1000 pads on these? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back