Non-snake oil surge protectors for A/V equipment
Jul 6, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm posting this here because I don't want the cable freaks recommending me their snake oil products like that LED noise-harvester thing in the Audioadvisor magazine.

I should get a surge protector for my entertainment center. I have a powered subwoofer, CRT tv, receiver, DVD player, surround processor, DAC, Headphone amp, and 3 game consoles! Plus I have a PC, that will soon be moving to the entertainment center, but I will probably get a separate UPS for that.

All this is plugged into cheap power strips, which looks messy, and greatly lacks WAF (for once, she is insisting that I spend money on my hobby). Plus, when I turn on the kitchen light, it makes my sound flicker. So basically I'm looking at getting one of those big home theater surge protectors. But it bothers me because I don't know what I'm buying, and it could just be a glorified power strip for all I know. Plus, I'm not sure what kind of power 'conditioning' like isolating components from each other, breaking ground loops, etc. basic very affordable surge supressors like this are capable of.
Amazon.com: Belkin 12-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with Phone/Ethernet/Coaxial Protection and Extended Cord: Electronics

If I wanted to spend more I could look at something like this
Amazon.com: Tripp Lite HTPOWERBAR10 Home Theater Surge Protector/Suppressor 10 outlets 3coax 5700 Joules RJ11: Electronics

What do you use for surge protection and/or power filtering of audio/video stuff, if anything?

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 26
I have an old APC, Smart-UPS 1250, is very good, sinusoidal waves, voltge trim and boost, and very quiet, I have been using it for years with no complaints, it is an old model but very good...I recetnly ordered the new two batteries again, and will keep on doing it, till the day it dies...Batteries last for about 4-5 years, I have been using it for about 12 years in a row now, and no issues...

Here is one for sale on eBay, no affiliation with it at all, it has no batteries, batteries cost is about $80.00...well worht the asking price IMO....

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 26
Panamax,Furman and APC are all snake oil free imo.
I would also suggest whole house surge protection at the box or a surge
blast the latter is cheaper.

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 26
I use an APC.

Haven't heard it change the sound, but I am glad the system is protected.

Still, I unplug everything if there's an electrical storm around.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 26
I've had good luck with just good old Isobars in terms of inexpensive quality surge suppression. Both of mine have survived a few lightning and/or transformer failure surges without anything getting killed

as for noise suppression, i've tested them against an entry level panamax unit (msrp ~$200) and i couldn't tell a difference, but as always ymmv, I could just be lucky with cleanish power to start with.

but for $50 bucks, its tough to complain about

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 26
UPS are great. I have an old APS one connected to my computer, a necessary precaution when you live in areas where thunderstorms are common.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 26
I have an APS back UPS for my TV/surround stuff. I originally bought it because the apartment I was in at the time had some issues with the circuit breaker and it would trip a lot when my TV was on. I didn't like the thought of random cutting of power to my expensive plasma so I bought the back UPS thing. It kept power on my TV and other stuff for a little while so if the circuit breaker tripped or the power went out I would have enough time to shut off my equipment properly. It cost like $70 with my discount at the time. I don't know if it hurts/helps sound or picture quality but I haven't noticed any difference. It does a good job of keeping steady power to anything plugged into it though.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 26
I am in the same boat. About to plug $6,000 worth of A/V gear and I do not feel my 5 year old Monster power strip is to be trusted.

I have been thinking of the Zero Surge 8R15 and the Monster 5100 MkII which can be purchased for $200 and $375 respectively. The Zero Surge does not protect the cable line so I am kind of leaning towards the Monster unit.

I also looked into a B-Stock P600 by PS Audio but at $900 it is way out of my price range.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 26
Everything but power amps are plugged into my Brickwall Series Mode surge suppressor. And my DLP HDTV is protected by a UPS battery so I have enough time to shut it down if the power goes out to save the bulb. (DLP has a fan cool down period before shutting off completely.)

-Ed

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 26
Most surge protectors just shut off the power if there is a big spike in your electricity.

UPS systems that regulate the current with a perfect 120V would be best, but you have the drawback of having to replace the battery after a few years and they have an internal fan which will make extra noise.

I have this on my system at home.
It doesn't regulate the electricity perfectly like a UPS but is cheaper and does a better job than the standard surge protector.

Tripp Lite | Line Conditioners | LC1800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back