non-sibilant CD players, do they exist?
Jul 26, 2008 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Tiemen

Headphoneus Supremus
Since the invention of the CD and CD players, I have problems with their harsh treble and sibilance.
The more I read about CD players, the more I think that CD players without harsh treble and sibilance don't exist.
Am I wrong?
I like used gear because they're much cheaper.
Any suggestions to what I should be looking for? I'm not rich
frown.gif

From all the CD players I used so far, the Magnavox CDB650 with the filtered out, isn't so bad. But if I could do better, let me know.

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 28
You could try changing speakers, using tube equipment, or players with NOS DACs like you mentioned in order to roll off some of the high end. IMO, the problem is not with the CD format, it's the way that mixing and mastering engineers have chosen to EQ the mix. Most releases are not geared toward audiophile systems.

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 28
Then you never heard any good cdplayer. There are still alot of good second hand cdplayers with wonderfull sound out there without having any sibilant highs.

What you're talking about is probably the new hot pressing technique that they use now for most of the recordings. Alot of recordings are therefor pressed close to distortion. Almost all new cd's i bought have this problem. So, most of the time it's in the recording, but there are plenty cdplayers that don't have any sibilant highs at all. Look especially for cdplayers with lots of silmics in the stages, they have a nice warm sound.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 28
find a old multibit dac player. For example a marantz CD94. Or connect one of the many DIY multibitter dac's out there. Google for TDA1545 to get you started.

I friend of mine and me have just started with experimenting with old multibitters. But Eindhoven is to far from your place i've reckon. The problem with multibitters is that there much more sensitive to their designs and build quality. When 1 bitters appeared, the comment was that the all sounded the same. From the different topologies, only the philips bitstream survived (aka delta sigma converters). Try to get your hands on a MASH converter (panasonic, technics) if you want a 1 bitter, but with a more darker sound. There a several secondhand technics portable cd players with MASH here in the Netherlands for only a few euro's (payed 15 for mine).

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 28
If you're interested in a non-sibilant player that also perform other functions (for better value for money & save spaces), the last top of the line Pioneer universal player model DV989AVI is a great choice.

It was well reviewed by many magazines as a great DVD player, does SACD, a pretty good transport (in case to buy a DAC later), and most importantly, the sound is quite smooth with decent imaging and well balanced timbre.

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're interested in a non-sibilant player that also perform other functions (for better value for money & save spaces), the last top of the line Pioneer universal player model DV989AVI is a great choice.

Yep, that one's known as the DV-59AVi in the U.S. It has nice Burr-Brown PCM1738E DAC chips for all channels.

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 28
If it has to be a CD player, then you'll have to hunt down something like a Philips CD104. Alternatively look at a DAC or two, but I would advise you to then contact the DAC supplier (i.e. the one who is sending the DAC to you directly) in order to agree that you can send the DAC back if it doesn't do what you want it to do. Part of the sibilance issue is down to the playback voltage requirement of the CD output, which is 2Volts. Many audio output stages are just not cut out to handle high frequency peaks at high dynamic levels. The 100pF to 330pF capacitor used in the feedback circuit of many an audio output stage as part of the anti-aliasing filter is a critical component. But many audio designers get it seriously wrong and select the wrong type of capacitor for the job. Ceramic and polyester sounds awful in that position, whilst polypropylene gives it a nice texture and body. (If you want to experiment, just cut off one end of that cap if your CDP or DAC uses an oversampling chip, and enjoy the overtones and extended frequency response) . Just try the Katie Melua CD 'Call off the search' and you'll hear what I mean. I good CD player or DAC should handle that disc with ease, smoothness, and no sibilance. I use it as one of my test discs to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 28
The Marantz SA-8001 is definitely a "non-sibilant" CDP/SACDP. It has almost none of the harsh highs of lesser CDPs - a very rich, organic, textured, solid tone overall with no stridency.

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Marantz SA-8001 is definitely a "non-sibilant" CDP/SACDP. It has almost none of the harsh highs of lesser CDPs - a very rich, organic, textured, solid tone overall with no stridency.

But probably out of his budget. he is looking for a cheap, second hand unit.

The marantz 8001 is 1000 dollars new.
cool.gif
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cool.gif
wink.gif

Actually... you can find it new from $675 to $900.

I found it new for $575 about 2 months ago.

And... "like new" on Audiogon for $600.

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cool.gif
wink.gif

Well, cheap.....lets' say around 100 Euro/ 150 USD.
Thanks for all the input!

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I think the SA8001 sounds like that, as well. It sounds much like Marantz' higher offerings, too.

Another smooth and organic CDP is the original Rega Planet. It's not the highest of fi, but it has an analog ease not often found in digital. You can find those under $300 these days and they're built very well. The case is cast aluminum and tank-like.

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibilance are in recordings mostly. Get better mastered ones..

You're abolutely right.
But to get rid of half my music collection
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back